Redding competition shell holders

slickrem

Handloader
Oct 22, 2016
any issues with them ? Do they work as described ?

Slightly cam over the .010 holder and go from there ?

Is it that simple ? Below is Redding instructions

To select the proper shellholder for your particular firearm's chamber, start with the shellholder marked +.010. The shellholder should be adjusted to make firm contact with the bottom of the sizing die during the case sizing operation. Resize a case and try it (unprimed and empty) in the chamber of your firearm. If the empty case does not chamber or chambers with difficulty, switch to the shellholder marked +.008 and repeat the process. Stop at the shellholder that allows the firearm's action to close freely. Your cases are now being sized properly to fit your chamber with a minimum amount of headspace.

Last edited:
Do you use a headspace measuring tool? I use the regular shellholders and use the Hornady headspace tool and adjust the die to get .0015 to .002" bump on the shoulders. I get little cam over when I size.
I’m not constantly guessing adjusting the die anymore. Considering brass behaves differently in my experience these shell holders seem to be the answer.

I’m not constantly guessing adjusting the die anymore. Considering brass behaves differently in my experience these shell holders seem to be the answer.
Whatever floats your boat, you can try those competition shellholders, I never had any issues my way. ;) I just set it up once correctly and forget it.

Last edited:
You never have issues with brass that doesn’t size the same ?
I use the same brand of brass and stick with it. If there are issues with brass that is not sizing equally in the same lot, then annealing your brass will help. Do you anneal your brass?
Clarify your issues for a better understanding of your issues with brass not sizing the same.

I use the same brand of brass and stick with it. If there are issues with brass that is not sizing equally in the same lot, then annealing your brass will help. Do you anneal your brass?
Clarify your issues for a better understanding of your issues with brass not sizing the same.
Yeah l anneal. Actually holding the case in the die for a bit , even without annealing sizes consistently. But at least when you do change brass brands or lots you don’t have to guess past the die touching the shell holder even slightly cammed over, is still guess work not adjusting enough or too much. It’s annoying

these shellholder sets work great . I have a bunch of them . they are quick , easy , and repeatable . I could never get a consistent shoulder bump until I started to use these . adjust the die to make firm contact with the shellholder . start with the 010 , and work towards the .002 . I have 3 different 7mm-08's and one set of dies . I do not adjust the sizing die for the different rifles . I just use the correct shellholder . inside the lid of the shellholder set I write the rifle , and what shellholder . example ; rem .006 , brown .004 , tikka .008 . some of my lids are getting pretty full , so I started to write the needed shellholder on the load recipe .

are you getting the brass fully expanded before you start bumping the shoulders ? brass will not be fully expanded on the first fire , it can take 3 or 4 fires until it's fully expanded . I fire new brass and neck size only until it gets tight to chamber , THEN i set up my die to bump the shoulder about .002" . if your brass is not fully expanded , and you're trying to consistently bump the shoulders , you'll be chasing your tail .

these shellholder sets work great . I have a bunch of them . they are quick , easy , and repeatable . I could never get a consistent shoulder bump until I started to use these . adjust the die to make firm contact with the shellholder . start with the 010 , and work towards the .002 . I have 3 different 7mm-08's and one set of dies . I do not adjust the sizing die for the different rifles . I just use the correct shellholder . inside the lid of the shellholder set I write the rifle , and what shellholder . example ; rem .006 , brown .004 , tikka .008 . some of my lids are getting pretty full , so I started to write the needed shellholder on the load recipe .

are you getting the brass fully expanded before you start bumping the shoulders ? brass will not be fully expanded on the first fire , it can take 3 or 4 fires until it's fully expanded . I fire new brass and neck size only until it gets tight to chamber , THEN i set up my die to bump the shoulder about .002" . if your brass is not fully expanded , and you're trying to consistently bump the shoulders , you'll be chasing your tail .
Awesome bro! yeah l see it takes a few times to fully fire form. I have a stiff extraction and pretty stiff on closing rechambering the fired brass. IDK how accurate my Hornady comparator hs gauge is. It doesn’t read minimum hs numbers. 2.058. I get as of now 2.042. Can’t make heads or tails with the RCBS precision mic. I anneal the last three FF trials. The head expansion is .470 but l guess l still need to do more FF.

Last edited:
I've been using the Competition shellholders for quite a while now for my .300WM, 7MM-08, and 30.06 and it absolutely takes all the guesswork out of sizing. I stopped doing the twist the die routine a long time ago. You'll be very satisfied with that setup.

I noticed that brands of shell holders varied in height and had to contribute in varying bump backs too, talk about chasing your tail !! I have a RCBS RC from 1978, Using these shell holders matter with another brand of Press ? I'm thinking not.

yes , these shellholders will work in that press . they work in any press that uses a standard shellholder .

I think you might be getting too wrapped up in the numbers . fire a few cases until they get tight to chamber , I usually go with 3 or 4 cases . fire these cases and neck size only . do this over and over until they get tight to chamber . this will usually take 3 or 4 fires . use your Hornady tool and measure these cases , they should be identical . all you're wanting to do is push the shoulder back about .002" . so with one of the tight to chamber pieces of brass in the hornady tool set your caliper to zero . now start with the .010 shellholder size that brass and measure it . if it's not -.002 ( .002" shorter ), put in the .008 shellholder and size the case , and measure it . if it's not - .002 put in the .006 shellholder and size the case , if it's not -.002 , put in the .004 shellholder . don't get alarmed when you see the case get longer during this , it's normal for this to happen , just keep going to the next shellholder until you get the case to measure -.002 . usually sneaking up on it like this doesn't size the same as when you use another piece of tight brass and size it all at once . you might need to go one shellholder step different to get it right . remember if you size a case too much it's no longer useful in this procedure . nothing you can do except fire it again . grab another piece of brass and set your calipers to zero on it and get sizing . after you know what shellholder is needed , just use it and size your cases, as you fire them , they don't have to be fully expanded . sometimes the shellholders size my brass .001 shorter , and the next shellholder sizes .003 . I use the .003" shoulder bump .

I hear ya on too concerned about numbers. Bolts pretty stiff after one firing bullet touching, with a near max load.

As far as bumping consistency l hold the case in the die about 8 seconds and it prevents spring back. Saw a guy do it in you tube with a case mic.

I asked about the press and shell holders because l measured a Lee and RCBS shell holders and they’re different and threw me off.

I only thought people with AR's had this trouble, but these sound like shoulder bump rather than actual base sizing? Maybe I'm just lucky on ALL of my AR's not having chambering issues. I fl size every time, but I use a 550 and the die touches the shellplate when sizing. Touching plate just before camming over. Maybe that's keeping it from springing back?

It’s shoulder bump yes with different size shell holders, height of shell holder. .010 down to .002, in .002 increments. Bumping shoulders increases case life and some believe increased accuracy.

Got my set in the mail today.... My 06 LC brass rims need dressing to fit in the shell holders. Factory Winchester brass hangs up going in the slot too. Why me ? I tried 270 win win brass and they don't work either, some do some don't, yeah I know dimension vary, please no commentaries thanks. Standard shell holder are generous, and I never had a problem with any case fitting ever.

I need to buy Remington brass, Winchester and LC surplus don't have enough of a gap and long enough taper above the rim to fit, inserting in the shell holder.

Last edited:
Back