Redding Neck Sizing die question?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I've always partial or full length resized cases, never neck sized. As a new experience, I plan on neck sizing my 7mm Rem Mag, at least at first. According to the directions, Redding says the die is screwed down to touch the shell holder. It says the shoulder will not be moved back unless the chamber is oversize, of course. My question; do I barely 'touch" the SH or screw it down enough to get a good cam over with the press and also,when the case gets harder to chamber a few firings later, do you partial resize or full length resize then? I have a collet die to size down the bulge in front of the belt when it appears. I just have this one rifle I'm loading for.

Raise the ram to the top and then just touch the bottom of the neck die. The neck die is made so you will not touch the shoulder. look at a size case you can see where the die stopped. If it did touch the shoulder just turn the die about 1/4 turn up.

A body bump die would be fine it only sizes the case up to the top of the shoulder and doesn't touch the neck at all.

I have type S match neck dies for my 223/221 rem's but for my rifle 277 and up I just partial size them with a .010" shim between the press and the die and do not push the shoulder back. Just the neck and some diameter of the case body gets touched. As long as the chamber no full length sizing.

Thanks Pard, I have always been super set on reliability is why I partial resized, best of both worlds for me. I am looking forward to seeing what this rifle will do set up this way.

I set mine 1-2 turns above the shellholder, only resizing half to 3/4 of the case neck. I have found this to improve consistency and case life in the expensive metric calibers I shoot.

Neck tension is very light. This method is for bullets at or near the lands, in ammo not subjected to rough treatment or loading/unloading frequently.

When you are setting up your dies, you will be able to clearly see the portion of the neck resized. If you are seating near the lands, you should be able to back off the die as I do.

No need to make the press cam over. If you run the shell holder up until it touches the die firmly, then screw/lock it down it won't get to the shoulder. A small portion will remain unsized.

Back