RELOADING 338 WIN MAG SEMIAUTO BAR

mr_wapiti

Beginner
Nov 21, 2009
I WANT TO RELOAD A BROWNING BAR IN 338 WIN MAG WITH 210 GR
NOSLER Partition BULLETS. I BOUGHT A SET OF RCBS DIES FOR THE
SEMIAUTO RIFLES. NOW I WAS WONDERING, WHAT POWDER WOULD WORK THE ACTION, NOT WITH TO MUCH PRESSURE, BUT IS ACCURATE?
PLEASE HELP! MR_WAPITI[/quote]

I am not sure what powder would need to be used special for the 338 Win Mag in a BAR. It is a pretty high pressure cartridge, so I would think most of the 4350's and the similar Medium/Slow powders would do pretty decent. Not sure though. Can't be something too hard, as it is designed to work with factory ammo, and most of it is loaded to pretty decent speeds. RL19 is my favorite with the 338, accurate and great speed. Scotty

I don't know about the 210 but I used H4831 with 250 partitions in my bar with excellent results.

I'm shooting 225 grain TSX's in my BAR over 72.5 grains of RL 19 and it's shooting really well for an automatic. I'm getting groups around 1.5" at 100 yards.
This same load shoots between .5" - .75" in my Browning A-Bolt.

Thanks for all the different powder information. But I also need the amount of powder to use. :? Mr_Wapiti

You might want to pick up a copy of Nosler's RG #6 and look at the most accurate powder tested as well as working up to most accurate load tested.

You can also cross reference load data that you get on the internet with the Reloading Guide. Having 2-3 loading manuals is great for cross referencing load data as not all powders are covered by any one source.

Nosler also has load data here-
http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=338cal

Make sure you start low and work up. In a semi auto, I would shy away from MAX loads to ensure your rifle cycles properly.

JD338

All the BAR gas system is basesd on IMR 4350

Reloader 17 should be good choice for the BAR.

30-06/7mm mag/300 win/338Win

Make sure you know how to clean the gas piston system per operator manual

Also suggest RCBS Small Base Dies for your BAR.

SEMIAUTO RIFLES. NOW I WAS WONDERING, WHAT POWDER WOULD WORK THE ACTION, NOT WITH TO MUCH PRESSURE, BUT IS ACCURATE?
PLEASE HELP! MR_WAPITI
[/QUOTE]
RCBS Small base sizer die
IMR 4350 @ 71.0 with 225 gr Nosler Part
WW brass
I like to crimp using a Lee factory crimp die

Just go to "store" on this page, select load data and go from there. Having a BAR and/or a BLR in long action magnums would be awesome!

PLEASE HELP! MR_WAPITI
[/QUOTE]
thats nice. i have a ar-10 in 308win. when i bought the bolt and carrier, i ordered a .534 bolt for my favorite 350 remington magnum i shoot in a pistol.

i intend to buy a 350 rem mag upper/or barrel and figure out how to get many rounds into a MAG. so i feel safer with a semi auto belted mag. i have hundreds of brass/molds/loads. want to be able to shoot through a 18" tree. just sayin. 24" barrel.

i like the idea of a belted mag semi auto. a 338 win mag semi auto IS JUST NOT KIDDING AROUND LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

you know, speaking about the BAR gas system, it might be prudent to simply load the bullets at whatever LEE or other data(loaddata) loads keep it at .03-06 stock pressure levels. IMO.

thats nice. i have a ar-10 in 308win. when i bought the bolt and carrier, i ordered a .534 bolt for my favorite 350 remington magnum i shoot in a pistol.

i intend to buy a 350 rem mag upper/or barrel and figure out how to get many rounds into a MAG. so i feel safer with a semi auto belted mag. i have hundreds of brass/molds/loads. want to be able to shoot through a 18" tree. just sayin. 24" barrel.

i like the idea of a belted mag semi auto. a 338 win mag semi auto IS JUST NOT KIDDING AROUND LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

you know, speaking about the BAR gas system, it might be prudent to simply load the bullets at whatever LEE or other data(loaddata) loads keep it at .03-06 stock pressure levels. IMO.
[/QUOTE]
I feel the opposite about belted brass in an AR. The chafing/rubbing of the belt doesn't seem to be good? I know there are AR style firearms produced, but decided to go with beltless on my AR magnum builds (6.5prc & 7saum).

I think R17 is your huckleberry in that BAR, if you can find any. Hodgdon or IMR 4350 next.

Years ago, my recently deceased ( dang, all my friends are going to Heaven) fellow Minister ( then he was over in WY) and really was like a brother to me started bugging me. He kept talking of going elk hunting with me, him and his two young sons. He was pretty recoil sensitive with a Mod 700 Mtn Rifle 280AI that I tried to give him, but he wouldn't take it as a gift. Yes, he was a hardheaded Swede! So I sold it to him cheap. That Fall, last minute, went with a guy in his church on a private ranch (over here in Utah) He killed a cow, neck shot at 60 yds, with my 160 Speer Hot Cor load. That same year he took over a church over in MO and didn't want to keep the rifle so sold it back to me.

So, as a Christmas Gift a few years later, (admittedly the Looney in me wanted to see how it turned out, ha) I bought him a 338 Browning BAR with a BOSS and side bolt release lever. I had my gunsmith friend smooth, lighten the trigger a bit ( man he was good!) put on a Decelerator pad , cut that BOSS off, recrowned/ and sent off to be Mag Na Ported. I also had him remove that funky side bolt release! Yes, I know some guys love that BOSS...not me! Boo, Hiss! It turned out Grrrreat! It was a kitten in recoil. The gas operating/porting combo/ Decelerator pad was perfect.
I put a VXII Leupold 3x9 on it and broke it in right. All I could find in ammo with a lighter bullet, was the then new Winchester 200 Ballistic Silvertips. It shot like a very, very good bolt gun, 3 shots, always 1 1/4" and under....rain or shine, clean or dirty! , never changed zero! So I bought him 5 boxes of it, same Lot#.
He was pleased, shot it a few times, then , in less than two months his health begin to fail. Real bad. Turns out he had the beginnings of Congestive Heart Failure. He lived a long time, miraculously it seemed, 15yrs w/o a transplant! But his elk hunting days were gone. His oldest son took it, shot some Missouri deer with it, now he just took a great job in Colorado Springs. So "maybe" he will take his "Surrogate Uncle" on a Hay Field Cow Elk shoot, I mean "hunt"! lol All that to say those BARs can shoot! Too heavy for me to pack, but I wanted to share what I had done to it. Turns out it was a great way to tame a 338WM. Rifle Looney signing off! :)

Last edited:
Back