Reloading 45 ACP

Mike Fontaine

Beginner
Feb 28, 2006
Hey Guys,
Since I now own three 45 ACP's Ive decided to start reloading for then. I've been reloading for a few years now but never for handgun :oops: I justed purchased RCBS carbide dies. I was wondering if anyone had bullet and load recommendations I could work-up to. I looking for both target and "carry" cartridges.
Thanks, MIke

Also, any additional info would be appreciated.

Lead bullets are far less expensive but may not function in some pistols. Check the Nosler manual, they give the load that was most accurate. Think it was ZIP for the ones I loaded the other day. Keep a check on OAL and charge.Rick.

Mike, over the years I've loaded a LOT of .45 ammo. Try WW 231. Burns clean and gives you a good range of velocities to work from. Make sure you use a taper crimp die for the bullet and crimp only enough to hold the bullet in place for recoil purposes.

My 45 ACP, 200gn loads are:
1) 5 gns of Bullseye for power - bowling pins shoot and combat shoots
2) 4.3 gns of Bullseye for (25yd) target shooting competitions

the bullets I use are 200gn SWC and jacketed

Mike - I concur w/Richracer's 5.0 Bullseye & 200 gr bullet recommendation. Great target/practice load. A fellow has to be careful with Bullseye - it's very easy to double charge a case with potentially disastrous results. Also, I do like to use plain ol' 230 grain round - nose lead bullets too, or jacketed when I can get 'em at a good price.

Those RCBS carbide dies are exactly what I use, with no complaints. Sometimes it takes a little adjusting of the overall length, & amount of crimp before .45 ACP handloads will feed smoothy. One of the reasons I like running the round-nose bullets, they tend to feed from the mag into the chamber easier.

For carry, I think it's really hard to beat the premium 230 grain self-defense type ammo from the major suppliers like Federal and Winchester. Some of their stuff is simply amazing in power, accuracy, penetration, expansion and pretty much anything else a guy can think of for testing ammo. I've seen an honest 900+ fps with serious accuracy from a 5" 1911 shooting a couple of different types of 230 grain premium ammo. Pretty impressive performance on target.

Regards, Guy

tpbscha":y2cmcqzs said:
I use Alliant Power Pistol w/230gr XTP

A stiff charge of Power Pistol and Noslers 185 gr HP works on paper and general use for me. I load cast 200 gr LSWC with VV320 for practice, very clean and accurate.

hornady has one great 200-gr,target semi wad cutter. Behined 5grns of Win-231,WLPP WIN brass. Realy sharp out of my 1911 Colt gov model. Good shooting.

Back