Reloading Bench - Take 2

AzDak42

Handloader
Jan 26, 2012
So with having moved into the world of progressive reloading, I'm sort of struggling with the bench layout I have now and need to reorg the space.

- The wife is pretty adamant about not bolting anything into the walls, so I need to stick with a very solid free standing design.

- I'd like something that is somewhat modular, so if I change my interests, I can adjust it as I go.

- Storage is at a premium.. I seem to have stuff poking out of every nook and cranny on my bench now.

- I do all my brass cleaning out in the garage, so no need to have it here.

- The funny opening on the left is the dog door... so have to leave that area clear. :)

Here's the base units I'm thinking about using:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=10276&max=999

I had a chance to check them out this weekend and they are REALLY sturdy with the non-wheeled feet. No wobble at all, even with a light top on them. I figure with a heavy duty butcherblock top on them, and some side/back panels added, they should be solid. I'll probably bolt the units together using some spacers, as well as using the top to connect the bases.

Here's my layout so far:
benchv4.jpg

The bench on the left side will be my utility bench. The big cabinets on the right are 6' storage units I found that I like. Should provide a lot of space.

Thoughts? Any issues with the layout before I start assembling the parts? I'd appreciate any input folks have, as it's a whole lot easier to fix it when it's pixels.

So the best laid plans and all...

I ended up changing the layout quite a bit after some additional planning/designwork. After a couple months accumulating parts and fabricating.. It's done! (Well, it's as "done" as any shop project ever is...)

I couldn't be happier. The wife actually likes how it looks, and it's an absolute rock. I can't wait to fire up the presses and start loading on it. I just about doubled my counter space and storage with this one.

The plan is to document it all in a few blog posts, which should be done in the next few days.

Until then... Bench p0rn for all:

68164028.jpg

94967208.jpg

Nice job! I'm almost ashamed to look at the clutter on my bench after seeing these... On the other hand, this may be just the motivation I need to get my carcass downstairs and start cleaning.

That is a great looking setup! Far superior to anything that I have. I am sure it will be a joy to use.

Looks nice. Mine is just a rigid table and small plastic cabinets and drawers put together over the table in the garage because I thought that we were moving but we haven't moved.

Back