Reloading Experience

I did not start reloading until I was 40 and started with Lee loaders. I
am now 74. I still have the Lee loaders and the guns they were for
also. Now, I use RCBS equipment and Oehler 33 crony. I load for
15 different weapons now.

Guys,

Thanks for responding. Out of 21 people that responded, we have an
aggregate total of 496 years of reloading experience!
This is a valuable resource for all to give and share.

Hey Nosler, how about joining in for a group hug.

Regards,

JD338

Well, let's see. I started just after graduating from college back in 1978 so, I guess that makes it around 37 years, but I took about 5 years off and started up again 2 years ago, so I guess my total experience would be about 32 years. Started with .38 specials and .357 magnums on my buddy's Rockchucker, then got my own. Still using it over 30 years later. Also have access to a Dillon RL-550B that 2 buddies and I went together on. I load 9mm. .38 spec. .357 Mag, .44 mag and .223 Rem on the Dillon. Leave the 6.5x55 Swede and .270WSM for the single stage press. Over the years I have also loaded 22-250, .243 Win, .270 Win, 7mm-08, 7mmTCU, 7mm Rem Mag., 30-30, and 30-06 and .45ACP.

I began handloading in 1966 for a .270 Win and 30-30. So, about 40 years of handloading.

I got started out helping my pop load stuff up as young as I can remember. I was the case hander. LOL When he would go through the steps I would stand beside his bench and hand him the cases as we went through them. That was back in the mid to late 60's.

I loaded up my first rounds when I was around 8, and went on from there. He supervised me, until he was sure I had the process down pat. Then we only loaded for an '06, and a 30 Carbine. After I hit 12, he got me a shotshell press to keep me from breaking him, and so that the yard could actually grow some.

I am 43 now and have for the most part hardly ever purchased factory ammo except for when loading for a new firearm to get a baseline. I load for some 20 different calibers now on a fairly regular basis, and seem to find new things out about them all from time to time.

It's been a fun haul, and as others have pointed out, the learning curve sometimes isn't on a direct radius.

Wow.. Now I am feelin old..
I started back in 1968 while a Soph in high school. I had a scoped 7x57 and a receiver sighted 8x57 and a brand new Ruger .357 Mag. I thought I was livin in tall cotton.. lol.
Since then I 've loaded for just about everything else at one time or another.. Couldn't ask for a more enjoyable hobby.

RDub, this should make you feel better.... This year will make my 50th year reloading centerfire ammunition. The personal challenge to produce perfect ammo is what keeps me involved. Who knows, maybe someday I'll reach that goal. Likely not.

Hiya Gator..
Well guess I feel a little better.. lol. Seems like all we can do is come 'close'.. Too many variables..
Anyway it's always fun to try.. The worst day at the range is far better than the best day at work.. :)

I started in 1953 and have been at it since. My first press was a Lyman Eze Loader and my best one is a RCBS A-2 that I have used since 1961.

Back