Reloading Experience

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I got to thinking about the resource we have here on this fourm. There are many folks that have offered great advice for many. It brings up the question of how long have we been reloading?

I started reloading for my 30-06 when I was 15 yrs old. That was 31 yrs ago!

How long have you been reloading?

Regards,

JD338

JD338 I too started reloading at 15. That was 41 years ago. I started out with a Herters press and unknown 308 win dies. My closest guess would be I loaded around 10,000 rifle,pistol and shotgun rounds. There was alot of equiptment changes over the years. There were also a few beginer learning curves along the way to work out.

Greyfox

I started in 1971 and reloaded for about 10 years. I gave it up and gave away all my equipment and shot factory loads until 2 years ago. That's when I bought a T/C Encore and had trouble with factory loads misfiring. The problem was head space, for which there was no easy fix, so I started reloading so I could size my cases to my gun's spec's. Now I load for almost all my guns. The only exceptions are my shotguns & my 44 mag Ruger carbine.

Blaine

I started at about 16, now I'm 43. I still use an old Herters press.I even have some Herters dies and some very old Herters bullets.

I started reloading when I was 12. I am 20 now, so 8 years. I reload for all my rifles, most my dads rifles, several of my friends, couple cousins, uncle. I get quite a few rifles to play around with. I love trying to find "the load" for "the rifle."

I started reloading for my .30-06 in 1999 at the age of 25 when one of my job perks was free Nosler Bullets factory seconds. The first test subject was the 125BT out of the .30-06 at a coyote from about 75 yards. I've never been the same since. :grin:

Well, I am not sure it was reloading as such, but my first "job" at the reloading bench was helping my dad when I was 10 or 12. My first assignment was to wipe off the lanolin from the cases after dad had resized them. That led to more and more interest and I have been reloading ever since.

I am now 57, but still remember being in awe of my dad loading those old .244 Remingtons, 44 Remington Magnums, and 300 Weatherby Magnums.

My dad is 76 and is still a very active reloader.

I remember loading my 8mm before my first deer at 13. I did some .270 Newton ammo and 30-06 for my first elk hunt at 17. I'm 58 now and thank God for strong Mauser actions. As was spoken earlier there was a huge learning curve. Case trimming ? I know this goes without saying but building up a rifle, reloading your ammo and harvesting game has all the same satisfaction as the equivelent in fly fishing. And when it comes to competition shooting I believe it surpases most any sport in it's intricacy!
Good Hunting :grin:

Started when I was 14. My mother bought me a Smith & Wesson Model 19 357 Mag. 34 years for me. Don't know it all but I have learned a little.

I started with my dad when I was ~12/13 on a Lee hand loader that used a mallet to deprime and scoop to charge the hull for a 12 ga I recieved as a 12th birthday gift from him. When he found I could shoot a couple evening ammo in a single trip to the field he brought home a Pacific 155 to help me keep up with my shooting.
Later he advanced me to helping load his 38 & 357 ammo on a RCBS jr, I`ve never stopped and I`m 54 now.

Looks like so far I'm the newest. I started reloading shotgun ammo 2 years ago, and centerfire last year. I now handload for everything i have, 204 ruger, 22-250, 300 win mag, 375 jdj, and 12 guage. The best part is having my kids help, they are 5 and 3. :grin:

I roughly started 10-12yrs ago. By necessity more than anything else. I moved to bush Alaska an commuting back an forth to purchase bullets and to shoot them was far and above my ideal of a good thing. I have experimented with game animals I hunt and have came to my own conclusions in regards to bullet performance and what is preferred. My latest addition to reference material is the Quickload Software. I think this is the "apple" of everyones eye and is very affordable.
I use the Forester Bonanza singe stage press and do not desire another exceptin when I reload for my .40S&W-doggone slow compared to shootin. :shock:

hello JD338, I started reloading in 1978 in the age of sixteen, when I got my german hunting license. My hunting-friend Rudi told me the first steps and secrets. The first gun I reloaded for was a 80-years old shotgun-rifle combination (in german:Büchsflinte) in .22 Savage HP.
Then I tried .22 Hornet, .222 Rem, .243 Win, 6.5x57R, 6.5 Schwed, 7x57, .30-06, 8x57IS, 9.3x62, 9.3x74R, and .45-70 for my wife who is also hunting. My first contact with Nosler´s great bullets was in 1980 with a .243 Partition 100grs in a Remington Mohawk. I own all Nosler manuals 1-5 and now I´m waiting for the 6. Vol.
I was very happy when Nosler presents the 9.3 Partition, it is very good medicine for wild boars.regards from Germany :roll:

Back