reloading - in the Garage- Now what?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Well after all these years, I finally have Dads press here and am ready to get things set up. However like many of you I will be relegated to the Garage. I am really scared of rust, dust and crud in this environment here in the great white north. Summer humidity concerns me as much as winter cold. Spring and fall I have some heat available but all those cool old Herters dies and equiptment will RUST. What would you do to prevent that and keep all in good working order. I Assume I should be able to work out their to about 40 degrees.

Specifically would you keep equipment "locked up" with some kind of desicant or dehumidifier- Im thinking in a large tool box or small cabinet" Or would you leave it open to the air with a "dust cover of some sort. Obviously I will keep powder and primers in the indoor environment, but reloading in the house isn't an option. Thanks for the thoughts, CL

PS- be prepared for more "stupid questions". Here we go..... :)

I wipe my dies with solvent (Hoppes) after each use and lightly oil (pad with light spray of G96) perhaps once a year. The die will be wiped dry before each use. Never had a problem with rust. If the environment is dusty, of course you will want a dust cover of some sort.

Been relegated to the garage for 50 years. After replacing a seldom used set of dies I make liberal use of a spray like Remoil. First time you forget to wipe them out before using them, you're going to remember after that.

If you are not making a permanent set up, I would try to store your stuff in the house if possible. I'm in the same boat. All my reloading stuff is in the garage and it's a tuck under basement level garage. It's not dry there. But I've had few problems. Did get a little surface rust on the RAM arm, but a little oil and steel wool took care of that. Never had any problems with my dies though. I do take them a part and clean them prior to use though. If you are worried about it, a light coat of oil is a good idea.

Just keep everything coated with a thin coat of quality oil.
I guess I am lucky as I have loaded in a finished basement my whole life.

JD338

If you can, make a plate system on your bench in the garage and secure the presses, vises, prep centers using plates. When not in use, keep the presses and equipment sealed up and stored somewhere?

Thanks guys- got every thing out of the car tonight. BIL is coming over to help with some set up (cabinets in the wall tomorrow night. Having no luck finding posts from your "man caves". Any pics for ideas would be appreciated. CL

4a563f87d34168c098c200bab08c5bd1.jpg

95bd09347997fc31fb2927817ede8639.jpg

This is my cleaning supply cabinet and cleaning bench that folds down when not in use. I'll take better pics when the truck isn't restricting the angle.

Get you a discarded refrigerator. You can drill holes into it to run an electrical extension cord into each compartment. Lowes has a light socket that will plug into an extension cord outlet. Get some old regular type light bulbs 40 to 60 watts that will produce some heat when burning. One in each compartment will keep the moisture at bay. Put some calking around where you run the extension cord into the compartments. You can mount hasp on the outside of the doors to put locks on. I use an old refrigerator to store all my powder and primers in. Primers in the freezer section and powder in the main compartment. No moisture and fire resistant and if the house did burn down and the powder got hot enough to ignite the pressure would pop the doors open so there would not be an explosion. I don't lock the doors. The refrigerator sits in my loading room in the basement of my house.

. As all ready been said keeping powder and primers cool and dry are of primary importance. Then comes the metal stuff, none of it is rocket science, just being careful and meticulous.

Elkman":vo17p9nt said:
A great start Troy, it looks really neat. As all ready been said keeping powder and primers cool and dry are of primary importance. Then comes the metal stuff, none of it is rocket science, just being careful and meticulous.

Elkman- I think you are looking at Wyo's set up. It looks pretty space and user friendly. Thanks Wyo. CL

Well - I don't have the press mounted yet but much of the rest is at least organized. GOOD Grief! The problem with living in one place and doing my loading (previously) with Dad being 250 miles away is that I amassed some stuff over the years and didn't realize it. Two scales, two case trimmers, 200+ rounds of brass some of it shot since 1987 some once fired.... Man ive got to get organized! I think I'll start with a measure/ trim/ "chuck it" party. I spent most of the weekend just getting things in one place and deciding what I could stand to throw out so I have enough room. Now I need a plan. I went up to Cabellas this afternoon cause I need a couple boxes for some reloads Dad left. didn't find that but a nice .22 caught my eye....ALMOST< ALMOST brought that home instead. I am so easily distracted :) Pics will follow when I get a little more set up. CL

Only two of each? :? You're not certifiably insane just yet. :shock: It's coming along nicely, though. (y)

Back