Reloading the 300WM

AzDak42

Handloader
Jan 26, 2012
I was able to run down a Bergara 300WM HMR awhile back and have just gotten started reloading for it. I'm looking for some suggestions on which approach to take.

Anyone have a take on the pros and cons of which resizing to do? Neck size only? Bump the shoulder? Full length?

Most of my hunting rifles I full length size for reliability, but this is probably more range toy than ever getting to see any real time in the field.

I partial size just about everything. If I really want to control neck tension I use the Redding FL Bushing die set. I haven't found pure neck sizing to be any better or worse than partial FL sizing. I do track neck tension though and try to keep it consistent.

I have a new, neck only sizing die, which I haven't used much but will help case life. Eventually the case will have to be run back through a FL die to reset the shoulder. I have loaded for the WM since 1970, an amazing cartridge.

Ditto with Elkman.... neck size 2-3 firings then go F/L when starting to chamber more snugly. Makes brass last longer... would suggest annealing every 2-3 firings also. If your primer pockets stay snug based on your load
Pressure you should get long life out of your brass!

I full size my 300 WM brass using a Redding full sizer with a bushing. I bump the shoulders back .002" and anneal every 2 firings. I have not tried a neck sizer since it shoots great with what I am using.

frankm, thank you for the comment on annealing, I always forget to mention that. I am not consistent with it, but am doing better with all my cartridges.

This has been great info, thank you all.

I do have a follow up question on the neck sizing + occasional FL sizing.

Do you have any noticeable shift in velocity/accuracy/POI when you FL size instead of just bump it back?

AzDak42":3nr8vk4j said:
This has been great info, thank you all.

I do have a follow up question on the neck sizing + occasional FL sizing.

Do you have any noticeable shift in velocity/accuracy/POI when you FL size instead of just bump it back?

No, never with the difference of sizing, but you will not a difference with brass that isn't kept consistent with neck tension ie: not annealing the brass. Once it begins to harden it has a different grip on the bullet. Hope that helps.

Back