Rem 700 ( .257 Weatherby Results )

Your picture is to small for me to really see any detail. I will be looking forward to you load development and how it shoots.

I'll put the detail pics on my tonight priority list one way or another... it's extremely rough... not near the finish type quality of the LSS

Powerstroke":3bg4okke said:
I'll put the detail pics on my tonight priority list one way or another... it's extremely rough... not near the finish type quality of the LSS

I wonder why they do that. Was it a lot cheaper than the LSS??

Don't you just hate a gun that's not as pretty or expensive buy shoots like the best. In most cases the level of perfection in fit and finish is the only difference. Kind of like Savage has done. Right Pop? :grin:
Good hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Greg Nolan":36bchhic said:
Don't you just hate a gun that's not as pretty or expensive buy shoots like the best. In most cases the level of perfection in fit and finish is the only difference. Kind of like Savage has done. Right Pop? :grin:
Good hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

I sure hope you are right about it shooting good. We will see if it shoots better than it looks. I sure hope it does, that would be cool and he would be happy if it does. I also hope load development does not cost him to much in finding his load.

I've paid right around $570.00 if I remember correctly. It was one of those...ummm... Impulse purchases....... I was actually out looking at scopes for a buddy at work when I actually saw it on the shelf. Thought about it over night, cleared it with the on site Finance Officer and well.....

For what I'll use it for and paticulary if it shoots the rough finish I'll deal with.

Just from the few rounds I've put through it, I'm thinking it'll shoot. Sportsmans actually had Weatherby Brass a buck cheaper than Midway so I'll have to grab a second box.

Here are the rough pics....

Shooting2009003.jpg

Shooting2009006.jpg

Shooting2009010.jpg

Shooting2009012.jpg

Hey Powerstroke, that is just fine, perfect, take that shooter and you can go anywhere in rough conditions and just hunt without worrying about the rifle. That looks like a perfect any condition rifle for any hunt.

bullet":xqp7vgwi said:
Hey Powerstroke, that is just fine, perfect, take that shooter and you can go anywhere in rough conditions and just hunt without worrying about the rifle. That looks like a perfect any condition rifle for any hunt.

I agree, nothing wrong from what I see.

JD338

Powerstrke.
They are ugly and it is true that they are prety impervious to wether but the barrel on mine is prety scratched up already.
I think I may have put 70 rounds through it.
I don't really care , and some of the remington CDLs I have handeld sure do look a bunch better.
I had though about fining a CDL take off stock and glass bedding it.
but what the hell. It shoot just great and the trigger adjutment was easy.
Pm me if you want an amitures advise on the trigger.
I figure for open country hunting of game up to caribu size, it is as deadly as anything I will find.
But If I buy another remington, it will not be the SPS unless they make some other cartridge I just can't find in another rifle i like for under a grand.
and I can't think of one at the moment. (Well mabye .358 norma mag)
...tj3006

Nope, It'll do just fine. I guess if the finish bothers me that bad, nothing some sort of coating wouldn't take care of.
I have an older Remington 700 S/S one of their first of that style that is finished much better.
The pic doesn't show it very well, but the F and S are stamped crooked... it drives me nuts !

I received some H1000 for Christmas and finally had a chance to check some loads for the .257 WBY using 115 & 120 grain Partitions, along with the 110 AccuBond, and 115 TSX. I would really like to shoot the Partition, but just can't seem to find a load that my rifle likes.
The TSX shot really well, over 72.0 grains of H1000. Here's the three shot group, from 100 yards. It measured 0.80". I will head out in a few days to double check the load but I'm really happy with the initial result. Good luck in your load development!
-TB
115TSX-H1000.jpg

Powerstroke":2e5woc3x said:
Nope, It'll do just fine. I guess if the finish bothers me that bad, nothing some sort of coating wouldn't take care of.
I have an older Remington 700 S/S one of their first of that style that is finished much better.
The pic doesn't show it very well, but the F and S are stamped crooked... it drives me nuts !

Powerstroke, I do like a rifle that looks good but some I have owned did not looks so hot. What drives me crazy is if the rifle does not shoot like I want it to. It is like a wife, good looks make it easier unless she is not faithful. Your rifle might not win a beauty contest but if she shoots it makes it easier to live with.

Powerstroke, if the looks of your rifle isn't doing it for you, take a look at these. I bought the Timber version for my 7mmRUM SPS.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-334/*NEW!*-Long-Range-Sporter/Detail

The only thing is, I am waiting on some longer action screws as I think the original SPS screw are a tad bit short for this new laminate stock. Look here, as you can see a so-so picture of my SPS in the Timber thumbhole stock.

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9552

tjRoberts":14xynpf7 said:
Pop
thanks for posting that chart.
can you tell me what the 1st two figures mean, Step ? & fill. Is fill a case capacity used measurement ?
I sure might get a box of the AccuBond 110s to try in my .257 weatherby, But I just loaded my last 8 into .257 Roberts AI cases.
I shot up quite a few of those 110s from 2 rifles chambered for the standard Roberts and also a 25,06.
so far no luck in the accuracy department.
I have hard great luck with 7mm Accubonds and also with .375s.
My Winchester classic 7mmSTW and my hunting buddies old Remington 7mm MAG not to mention my Ruger #1A in 7X57 all drive tacks with 160 grain accubonds.
My stw, over a stiff charge of H-1000 , once put 3 into a center to center group measurement of .17,best group I ever shot. and that was at 3200 FPS. And I often get .25 for 3.
And My friends 7 mag seems to like RL-22 or RL-19 both and he has taken several good sized mule deer and a couple Roosevelt Elk.
Loves them.
...tj3006

I

The step is basically a # the program assigns...you can disregard it. The fill is % of filled case by powder or loading density.

Powerstroke":eegb4exu said:
POP,

It's Ugly, It's Crude, It's not what I'd at least expect from Remington, but non-the less....Rem 700 SPS .257 Weatherby

GUNS2008.jpg

Found a can of IMR 7828 yesterday so I'll play with that powder now too...
Thx again for the input.

If it has a 26" tube it is worth it!

Nah, don't get me wrong... I do like it or I wouldn't have purchased it... it's just those little " attention to detail " items....

You're all 100% correct......

POP.....It does have a 26in Tube..... :grin:

I'm curious if we're going to see this from Remington every year now in a different chambering.... 2009 is the .257 Bob.....

I think the Bob is in the CDL SF, not the SPS-SS. I wouldn't mind if they offered in a 24" SPS, as I just hate stainless in a wood stock. If I but one of the CDL-SF Bobs, I'll have to get the metal coated black.

I had mine bead blasted (the action at least) when it was re-barreled to a 338RUM. Looks MUCH better than the factory 40 grit finish! I don't see why you couldn't have the whole thing blasted to improve the looks.

Back