Rem 700 CDL Bolt issue

dcopp75

Beginner
Dec 7, 2007
I have a question for you guys. I have a Rem 700 CDL in 7mm Rem Mag. I have had the gun for 8 months now. It has around 300 rnds through it. When it was brand new out the of the box, there was a shallow scratch inside the bolt face. This scratch does leave a mark on the primer. However, it can barely be felt by running you finger nail over it. I did not think that this was a big deal.

Now, I am noticing a small bump on the bolt face rim (about .008" measured the best I can with my calipers). It is a little concerning since the rim is not flat any more. I noticed it because the white metal is showing through on the top of the bump. On the inside of the rim, I am seeing signs of ware. I am in the process of a long distance move and do not what to have it sent to a gunsmith or Remington at the moment. I was wondering if any one has seen this before and if I should avoid firing it before I have someone look at it?

Between the scratch and the lump, I may just send it back to Remington and have the whole bolt body replaces. I was just wanting to find out what you guys thoughts were.

Back