Rem 700 Mtn Rifle in 260 rem

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
OK, I'm a 6.5 guy, it's a great caliber. Tell me about the Rem 700 Mtn rifle, walnut stock, detachable mag version and tell me about the 260 in this configuration. I think it has the Xmark trigger, only downside.

I have found one for sale in Canada. I have traded off my 264 win Pre 64. It was a great gun, but with a heavy barrel 264 and a 257 wby the stable was a little full of heavy flat shooting deer rifles without anything really easy carrying and suitable for a younger hunter(my son is 10 months, but availibility in 11 years??) or an out of shape grown up :oops:

I still have alot of 6.5mm components around and really like the idea of a 6.5lbs, short action that will run 243 velocities with 30% more weight, sounds like a very effective, compact & verstile package.

JT.

JT,

I haven't shot that particular rifle, but the calibre is excellent. I should think it would be great for a young man such as your son. Now is the time to buy it, while the Conservatives are still in office, so it will be broken in properly by the time he is ready for shooting/hunting with Dad.

I think I would jump on that. I really want to try the .260, but the rifles that Remington currently offers leave me cold. I love to old plain wood Mountain Rifles, not so fond of the DBM, but not a complete deal breaker. I wonder if it has an X-mark trigger... kinda fuzzy here, but I thought that Remmy dropped the wood stock for laminate before the new trigger.

I haven`t the exact rifle but my Remington M700 DBL with 24" BBL does this @ 100 yds with ease. I think you`ll find your`s does similar.

IMG_0863.jpg

The 260 is a great round.
BTW the left hand group is 10 rds the right 5...... :p

Not bad, Joe. Not bad at all.

Consequently, JT, if I could find one of the Remington gray laminate stocked 280s, I would jump on it. If I see a Mountain Rifle in 280 come in, I'll undoubtedly be sorely pressed not to buy it. I like the 280, and the gray laminate (w/o the detachable magazine) just looks smart.

Looks like a great little round, seems like a modern 6.5X55 swede. I am considering it. The guy wants to trade for my Henry Big Boy 44 rem mag. I really enjoy the 44, so I am torn. The 260 is alot more useful as a serious rifle, while 44 is just fun. They still make the 44 tho......
The brass isn't cheap, but 0.60/case isn't bad either. Not like a weatherby. We're @ $2.35/case Cad for 257 wby in Canada now. and @ 4.25/case for 30-378 OUCH!!!

NOw that could be a large part of why I sold that thing. Figured I'd get a 300 RUM at some point. Was going to get a Sendero, but most likely will just buy yet another barrel for my savage and someday finish that project off.

JT.

jtoews80

If you can, jump on it!
I have very limited experience with 26 cal, only having a 6.5 JDJ in a T/C Contender, but it is a 300 yd deer slayer with the 120 gr BT.

Powerstroke and a few others here have experience with the 260 Rem and what they have poster with accuracy and on game performance is quite impressive. The 260 Rem is an excellent round and ya just got to love the M700 because they look and shoot great.

JD338

Well, I just loaded 170 rounds for the 44, don't think that helped make up my mind really. It did, however clean up the reloading bench a bit.
120 240 grn Nosler JHP and 50 300grn. Hornady XTP :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Those things are big, REALLY BIG, I really want to see what that would do to a deer or moose @ 25 yds.........

JT.

Just buy the 260. Your wife will understand. You need both rifles.

I just ordered a Sako 75 SS/Syn 7mm Rem Mag for my wife. That is why the guns & equipment fund is a little dry :grin: If that is what it takes to get her out with me more, great. If not, I get to use it........ The 260 would be for me, a reasonable rifle for me or when my son is ready to hunt for him. I just want to get something for jr. while there is something suitable to be had.

JT.

Yeah, this buying and trading rifles is a disease for sure. There are rifles in my safe that cost me terribly. New carpeting and appliances are pricey, and that was the cost of my addiction.

I have two Remington .260's. One M700 that is a tack driver and just put the way-lay on a cow elk at around 330yds with one 130gr A-bond.

The second one is my wife's Model 7 youth 18.5in barrel that has taken 3 elk out to that 330 or so yard range. That was the gun that turned me into a 6.5 / .260 fan. Recoil is very light and great for smaller shooters. I also have a 7-08 and can tell a difference in recoil. The .260 obviously the lighter. I doubt you'd be disappointed in it.....Then again... :grin: Sako builds one in the Finnlight SS 75........

Jt -
You will love the 260! I just bought the Remington CDL Limited edition last fall and am still breaking in the barrel (sorry it's cold in Minnesota right now). I am shooting cheapo 129G hornady's right now, and they are shooting really well for not trying that hard to shoot good groups. Light recoil, sectional density that is out of this world, and a good 300 yard rifle for anything up to elk. I have the new trigger on my rifle and like it. Easy to adjust, breaks clean, no creep and I haven't noticed any overtravel.

jtoews80":2at2o8dt said:
OK, I'm a 6.5 guy, it's a great caliber. Tell me about the Rem 700 Mtn rifle, walnut stock, detachable mag version and tell me about the 260 in this configuration. I think it has the Xmark trigger, only downside.

I have found one for sale in Canada. I have traded off my 264 win Pre 64. It was a great gun, but with a heavy barrel 264 and a 257 wby the stable was a little full of heavy flat shooting deer rifles without anything really easy carrying and suitable for a younger hunter(my son is 10 months, but availibility in 11 years??) or an out of shape grown up :oops:

I still have alot of 6.5mm components around and really like the idea of a 6.5lbs, short action that will run 243 velocities with 30% more weight, sounds like a very effective, compact & verstile package.

JT.
.........................The LSS mountain versions according to the Remy site have 22" barrels and weigh about 6 5/8 lbs. So I have to assume that the one you`re interested in has the 22" barrel. A very good rig in a 260 Remy.

But, I have a better idea and am speaking from personal experience. You want the best carrying, the best and fastest manuverable, handy and best handling bolt rifle on the planet?

Take a real good look at the `09 Ruger compacts. 35.5" OAL; 16.5" barrel; 5 3/4 lbs and is available in the 260 Remy.

They are very accurate, have the new LC6 trigger and will do anything in the field that any other 22" or 24" barrelled 260 Remy will do.

In all available compact cartridges, your velocity difference with the 16.5" barrel vs the 24" is only 4.5% using identical loadings. My own findings have shown the same with my Ruger 300 WSM compact when I tested it along side two 24" 300 WSM`s. With a 22" er, the percentage of loss compared to the 16.5" is even less. Your game won`t notice the difference. The small velocity loss is a wonderful trade-off in return for hours of better carrying and handling enjoyment on the hunts.

If you want a better mountain rifle imo, than the Remy package, go carry, handle, shoulder and play with a new Ruger compact.

Short barrels, but they have the long reach.

BTW!........... Don`t be fooled by the smaller compact`s dimensions. I`m 6'3" and 240 lbs. My Ruger compact is not too small for me.

If you get the LSS version, just FYI I found that mine ( a 7mm-08)balances much much better, as well as being lighter, with as much weight as possible drilled out of the butt. Here's a pic.

hollowbutt.jpg

I have the 700 LSS Mountain in a 260. It has been used on Whitetail out to 350+ and two Elk. Good round with light recoil. My son now has a 300WSM (it's a teenager thing) and I can't see letting the 260 go. I haven't used it in a couple of years.
This particular gun did not like me trying to "hotrod" with Scirroco 130s, starting scattering the paper.

Back