Remington 2013

I've been fortunate to have received the bulk of my family's firearms for several generations...being the only gun nut and male heir.

Some of those pieces are 80 and 90 years old and most function as well as the day they were purchased. My son hunted this year with a hand me down 30-30- the fourth generation of our family to do so. I also busted a grouse with an ancient Depression era Winchester M12...even though I have a safe full of more 'modern' weapons to accomplish those things you just feel good about doing stuff like that!

JD338":310x21k6 said:
I'm not too sure about Remington anymore. They are a follower instead of a leader. They lack innovation and their quality is poor. In all honesty, I don't' see a new Remington in my safe.

JD338

Ditto!

meatmachineman":16kojd3a said:
Although I own my fair share of synthetic stocked rifles, I think that is one reason that I tend to prefer walnut & blue. To me, it represents some manner of heritage. Not exactly sure how to explain it.

Exactly.... Walnut and blue has a certain appeal as art (if done well). Flat black oxide metal and synthetic stocks are creating a whole generation of guns that have little legacy value. They are simply tools.

For her first rifle, I asked my daughter a while back if she wanted an attractive rifle - one with a nicely finished walnut (or wood laminated) stock and deep blued (or SS) metal, or a military look with flat black oxide metal and a black synthetic stock. She likes pretty things, so I was surprised when she said black/syn. :cry:

Given that, it's surprising that of the guns I have, her favorite is my blued/walnut Rem 700 BDL VS in 223. I suspect she'll get a blued/wood for her first rifle... probably a CDL. A black/syn rifle can come later. :wink:

I guess for me, the walnut and deep blued guns just get a unique character with a bit of honest wear. It's a patina developed by hunting. On some of my older guns, my son is laying down some beauty marks on top of mine, and my Dad's, and my Grandfather's- that's kind of a neat history to me in a way.

Synthetic, flat black, coated guns with a bit of wear don't have a lick of character, they just look like crap.

I own quite a few Remington rifles and shotguns, in fact most of my guns are Remingtons. That being said, there will not be any new Remingtons in my future. I have been a Remmy fan since my beginning and it is sad to see what such a great company at one time has turned into.

Yes I will have to agree that the new Remingtons are very disappointing in looks :( quality just doesn't seem to be there anymore.
I guess it just another reason to build a new 280AI :wink: the Krieger barrel has been ordered :mrgreen:. Now to save for an action not sure if a Defiance or a 700 Remington blue printed :?:

Blessings,
Dan

Ahhh... war wounds on walnut. It actually is kinda funny. In 2011, my younger son (Now 14), being a southpaw, hunted with a really nice Marlin 336 30-30 that my dad left me. It has been kept in immaculate condition as my dad lived in So CA and never had much opportunity to hunt, let alone make it to the range. It received a few minor marks that, although my son was concerned about, didn't phase me a bit and am sure made my ol' man grin ear to ear. It may not add value but really does add character.

Back to Remington... I have little use for any new Remington. Just too sketchy IMO. The one thing that really irritates me about that is I shoot 870s, 1100s, and 1187s very well. I've got an 1100 LT-20 that I took out again today to make sure it's functioning well before I sell it (bought a 20ga Montefeltro). It was hard for me to miss any clay my friend threw for me and almost gave me second thoughts. But as referenced in this and other posts of this thread, I like wood/blue and my LT-20, although an excellent gun, is synthetic. ...and if anyone's interested, it might be up in the classifieds in the next week or two or three.

Remington isn't what it used to be but all of my bolt guns are 700's and all shoot near 1/2 MOA. They haven't done anything ground breaking in hunting rifles lately but they still got the military contract for the XM2010 sniper rifles that will be replacing the M24's. While the XM2010 has it's flaws and design features I don't agree with, it was good enough over the competition to get the contract. It would be nice to see Remington get their quality and ingenuity back though. I'll be pulling for them.

I'm sorry but I just don't like disposables. Never had a use for one never will. Not to mention the QC problems. I have a 700 Mtn in 243 that from the factory had issues. It wasn't chambered right kicked like a mule and had to beat the bolt open. Sent it back and had it fixed but took 8 months. It shoot alright now nothing terribly special and was rough as a cob. A tube of gunslick later and about a month of working the action and its in working order this was an early 90's rifle. The action I built my 280AI isn't 100% correct either. I bought it and sent it off to put a new barrel on it and since the first time it was fired it craters primers. I swapped the firing pin out with a PTG oversized and it still craters everything. I guess I just expect more out of a company with such a good name and history. It truly is a disappointments for me. Especially when I've been told by so many people how good and accurate these actions are. Even tough it shoots lights out and I love it I don't see myself acquiring another Remington. I think I can do better with others and not worry about these issues.

FOTIS":zguysbfc said:
man that accutrigger...... how many have copied it now?

I wish companies would stop copying the Accu-Trigger. Why take up a bunch of creep just to get to the trigger is my issue. I just haven't been able to warm up to it.

Being in the lower middle income hoard myself, I see nothing wrong with this rifle.
There still exist those whom wish to spend little and hunt occasionally only. Not all are hunting fanatics but occasional weekend hunters that just want something to throw in the truck and go, 1.5 MOA is quite acceptable, never have or will reload a single round in their life, etc etc.

From looking at the calibers this is available in, I think it is simply aimed towards the middle of the road hunter shooting middle of the road rounds that have been around decades and decades and simply dont want anything more than servicable hunting rifle and round but a few more would have been an improvement.

Personally, Ill give them the nod for a rifle I'd buy for a young hunter in 308 hunting his first few seasons or a retired hunter who still would like a new rifle.

Not having all the information necessary, I'll be one to say NOT offering it in anything for the weekend varminter or farmer shooting such may be an error but then again I dont understand why so many of this class of round are no longer chambered by Remington anyway.

IF one had been available in a short action MAGNUM .....I know a guy (admittedly ANOTHER "Remington kind of guy") who would be picking one up for a shot........and a rebarrel.

"A couple hundred" more to many in this economy.....IS, in fact, a deciding feature.

Something between the much disliked 770s and the 700s is a sensible step IMHO but I would have made more than ONE short action round, even to start with.

While I wish I could have a 40xb triggered, fluted barrel, 700 with a finely marbled American walnut stock with a mirror bright blue that looks like it's an inch deep....I cant. That is not to say something within my means and not at all like that is not interesting and fun to shoot.

I dont believe Remington had any intention nor reason to build a rifle aimed at the creme de la creme hunters........they already did that. While some of us feel the quality may have slipped some, there remains the fact that a HUGE number of custom builds use a 700 action.

This one was aimed at the first time or average weekend hunter, priced to compete with others in the same class, period.COMPLETE WITH the "anti lawyer" trigger.
While alien to most of us, there exist more "weekend hunters" than one would think unless you really look. We need their numbers.

A 22-250 or 243 would have been smart starting rounds IMO, and at least ONE short action of mag bolt face round would have been nice since the Savage like barrel nut lends it to a switch barrel.

But....just my 2 cents.
God Bless
steve

Steve, I think a lot of people have lost interest in Remington and virtually any move they make will be met with suspicion... and that includes me. I certainly won't dispute your comment about "another couple hundred bucks" being a deciding factor nor the needs of the occasional hunter. All are valid. I know, I for one, am viewing this as Remington's realization that people have not bought into their 710/770 line and recognize those rifles for what they are... junk. I see this as Remington not being the innovator, but instead, a Johnny-come-lately. I doubt there is anything wrong from a practical standpoint with this new offering from them, but it has already been done by Savage/Stevens, Marlin, Weatherby/Howa, etc.... not only that but years ago. Add to that, based on the MSRP and likely street price of this rifle, I stand behind my comment that for equal money or just a few bucks more (not 100's), a person could have a true model 700 outfitted with a an entry level scope as it would cost for the new 783 outfitted with a similar scope. That, to me, is a no-brainer.

I guess what I'm saying is this rifle is the one Remington should have made in the first place. But now they're competing and trying to play catch up in a market they could have dominated. Couple that with the available 700ADL, Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500, Marlin X series, and the discontinued (I think) Stevens 200 all available for great pricing, and I don't see this being a big winner for the consumer.

Also, one more point... Some of these rifles have economical wood stocked options like the Marlin. That'd cater to folks like me, also in the lower middle income hoard, who are also looking for something a little more... special?... to pass down to my kids. Or better yet, forget all the new stuff and look at the used racks for used upper tier rifles that are selling for new entry level prices. That's been my MO and works out well at times.

I'm pretty sure Remington knows we're not the target market with rifles like the 710, 770, and this 783.

I know a lot of people like to hate on Remington, but I honestly don't see very many truly innovating products coming from most manufacturers.

CMBTshooter":33mxtnui said:
I'm pretty sure Remington knows we're not the target market with rifles like the 710, 770, and this 783.

I know a lot of people like to hate on Remington, but I honestly don't see very many truly innovating products coming from most manufacturers.
I suppose that's true enough! LOL!

I know I always cringed (and still do) when I'd be watching the guy next to me at the gun counter ask to see a 710 or now a 770, or even the Savage Axis/Edge (also not a big fan of those) and pass right over a Marlin or Stevens or even Vanguards when they're on sale. I've also learned to keep my mouth shut with fellow shoppers at the counter in most instances. I'm usually met with a blank stare with a statement of something to the effect of, "But it's a Remington!" About the only time I've made any headway is when there was a 700 combo deal on the shelf on sale and ask how much they planned to spend on scope, ring, and bases.

I cant blame Big Green for following in foot steps of others on rifles selling. If it were me, following is much better than not competing AT ALL but yeah.....omg, I cannot imagine trying to come up with anything NEW that would grab consumer's attention. Something low price is the only "easy" option.

Agreed, there ARE less costly 700s, the SPS versions and yes you can buy a used one near what these will cost. Key word there is USED. I concentrate on used rifles but I have several friends that wouldnt buy one at half price. Not used. They will by less expensive new models first. Every time. They want a warrantee. To each their own. Point being, there are some out there like that and IMHO why the less costly versions DO sell, and sell often.

Anyway, I'm just glad to see new models come out for 2013, in all brands. The lack of such would scare me silly wondering if the down slide to our sport had not started.

As always no models or reasons for their existance will meet all of our opinons but all have made valid points to consider for any readers.

GodBless
Steve

I bought a new Ruger 308 Scout last month. Neat rifle. Should be fun, and accuracy is looking good. I knew exactly what it was and what I expect from it before I bought it. Priced too high though. I haven't had a lot of luck with Ruger in the past, but I'm willing to give it a fair shake.

I pulled out my 1993 era Rem 700 VS the other day, and though they are very different rifles, I couldn't help but compare them in overall quality. The Ruger cost me close to twice what the Rem did (not counting inflation). That said, the Rem is twice the rifle in terms of parts fit, smoothness of operation, trigger function and overall machining quality. I already know this Rem 700-223 is a <.5" rifle.

If Remington ever decides to make them in China, I'd not buy another new Remington 700 (and I'm considering a couple). Till then... BT

Back