Remington .270 OAL question

redrider03

Beginner
Dec 7, 2007
I am going to reload some .270 Win loads for my BDL. And I just bought a hornady oal gauge and was wondering what a good length is to start at for accuracy. i have seen where some back it off .020. I also bought the comparator for my digital caliper. And I was wondering how you guys zero it. I set it to one inch like it says on the directions and I was getting some funny numbers I thought, but it might be just me. Let me know what you think. Thanks guys

.020 off the lands should be a good starting point, if it will clear your magazine. Sometimes I start here and sometimes I just start at book length if testing loads and then start moving in closer and experimenting with seating depth to tweak things (if necessary).

You are most likely getting funny numbers with the comparator because of the difference in ogive. You could just take a small amount of bullets and check the bullets by themselves, and record the lengths from base to ogive to get an idea of the variation.

Most .270's have a fairly long throat so I usually load to magazine length. My wife's Tikka has the shortes throat, and with Nosler AB's at magazine length, it's still .25 off the lands. .020 off would be nice, but then you would probably have a single shot.

And I was wondering how you guys zero it. I set it to one inch like it says on the directions and I was getting some funny numbers I thought, but it might be just me. Let me know what you think. Thanks guys

I don`t worry about a zero, I simply record the reading I get when measuring. The numbers are large, but I know what they represent and as long as they repete that`s all I care about.

BTW my 270 Win COL with comparator reads 3.70". This is the same no matter what bullet I load in it, and is ~ 0.010" off the lands. I`ve no idea what the base to tip COL is, but they fit my mag and I`m sure they are under SAAMIs` 3.34" max

My son's 270 and my nephew's 270 both like the 130 AB/BT at 3.300". Both at 3050-3080 fps with 59 gr of H4831.

Hi I'm working up loads for my 270 CDL SF using 130gr. SST's my COL with comparator is 3.800 the bullets are seated one cal. in the neck up to Hornady #7 book max of 62 grs. H4831sc the only book that high but no pressure signs and 7/8 inch 3 shot groups. I'm now going to try seating deeper see if it helps. Next I'm trying Interbond and AccuBond 130gr. see witch shoots in this gun.

Alan

Back