Remington XCR 30.06

It's also possible that your 06 doesn't like that particular 165gn bullet. By the way, what 165gn bullet are you using?

Iown two Remington 700XCR rilfes, one chambered in 300WSM and one chambered in 375 H&H. I just took them from the safe and tried to slip a piece of printer paper between the barrel and the tip of the stock. On both rifles the paper would only go in a little ways before it was stopped by the contact of the barrel and stock (less than a 1/2 inch).

Both these rifles shoot quite well. I doubt the pressure out there is the reason the gun won't shoot.

You are on the right track with powder, 4350 is excellant in the 30-06.
And, you are right, 57 grains behind a 165 grain bullet is a classic load.

I would be tempted to try a different brand of bullet. Then, of course, you could try different bullet seating depths, etc.

Iown two Remington 700XCR rilfes, one chambered in 300WSM and one chambered in 375 H&H. I just took them from the safe and tried to slip a piece of printer paper between the barrel and the tip of the stock. On both rifles the paper would only go in a little ways before it was stopped by the contact of the barrel and stock (less than a 1/2 inch).

Both these rifles shoot quite well. I doubt the pressure out there is the reason the gun won't shoot.

You are on the right track with powder, 4350 is excellant in the 30-06.
And, you are right, 57 grains behind a 165 grain bullet is a classic load.

I would be tempted to try a different brand of bullet. Then, of course, you could try different bullet seating depths, etc.

FWIW, I seat my bullets enough to obtain a 3.39 COL (base to tip measurement). You may want to try altering seating depth with your current most accurate load using the 165AB and IMR 4350.

Personnally, I would try everything else, different powders, primers, seating depths and so on before you start altering your stock.

My 30-06 in a Vanguard sporter, 24" tube. My loads are:
180AB - 55.5gn of H414 - Nosler Brass
180ET - 53.5gn of H4350 - Win Brass

COL for both: 3.39
Primer: GM210M
Brass trim: 2.48"

Sorry for the multiple posts, the computer was telling me there was an error and I did not think they were going through. oops!

Back