Remington XP-100 chambered in 308 Winchester (The Dirty Thirty)

xphunter

Handloader
Sep 15, 2005
This is BCG 308 Winchester XP-100, using a Remington Take-Off 308 Winchester barrel chopped to 15.8” Holland’s Radial Baffle Brake, Leupold Mark IV 4.5-15, McMillan stock, and a factory trigger.
uHmToFIl.jpg

Video Below: Factory TAP with 168 A-Max.
Reloads: 1x fired Hornady Match 308 Win brass, CCI primer, H-4895, 155 A-Max at 2720 fps.
Groups were at 100 yards.
B235KP6l.jpg

3oKhr2zl.jpg

The last 3-shot group was by Dan Ekstrom, with his MagnetoSpeed attached and the group size was close to mine. This XP-100 shoots great!
Next up is doing some drop confirmations at distance.
It will be used for my personal enjoyment and hunting, but will also be a loaner XP for WY-SHOT.
Video:

Thanks.
I had a 10T Heavy Palma Bartlein barrel, I could have made two 15" barrels from.
When Chris said he would give me this new take-off Remington barrel (Sendero taper), I thought to myself..."If it shoots at least 1/2 MOA it will work for my purposes." So I said, "Sure!"
I had 200 155 A-Max's that weren't being used for anything, and they would work out to beyond a grand, and about 9 pounds of H-4895, that wasn't dedicated to any weapon. I also had a good amount of Hornady Match 308 brass that had been fired once from some work rifles, that had been given to me. Dan and I didn't do any brass prep or anneal. I even used a regular RCBS 2-die set (Not typical of me). I had 7-8 rounds of Factory TAP with the 168 A-Max on hand, so we shot that, so we could have an accurate basis for proper FL resize/shoulder bump. The 155 have a little less muzzle jump and recoil, and a tad more powder gives me more gas for the brake to be a little more effective, so hence I decided to run the 155's for awhile in this gun. It will work for varmints up to deer sized game, and will give me another XP for newbies at my shoot every year. Throat life will be really long, and the barrel cost me nothing.

Sunday afternoon I went out with a couple of guys from church. One needed to do load development and chronographing and the other one wanted me to chronograph a couple of guns with my Labradar.
I wanted to do some drop confirmations with the Dirty Thirty/308 Winchester. We had winds from the northwest, which was a quartering headwind for us. I was shooting to the north. After the guys got all of their stuff done, Glenn spotted for me while I started doing some drop confirmations. The quartering headwind noticeably pushed my bullets down as I extended distances, but I still had fun.
Even at 300 yards it took me more elevation to hit my target, then it should've. By 400 yards I had a sense of how much I should add at 500 yards. At 500 yards, my first shot at the 10 inch diamond target was close to a center hit.

EEC69B37 2392 4AC4 822D CF35139B0516

The 5 inch square target to the right was hit by a guy shooting a 7mm SAUM rifle with 195 Berger's.
I did drop confirmations out to 800 yards, but with wind continuing to pick up, I stopped there. We shot Glenn's 41 Magnum Smith & Wesson revolver, and had some fun. I decided I wanted to shoot one more shot with my 308 Winchester XP. I picked the upper right small dot on the big rectangular target at 500 yards.

99B7AD1D 1321 4999 BD9A 30E4D923E5BA

It always feels good, when you just have a sense of what it should be and you are right, and the shot is very close to where you were aiming at a mid-range distance.
One of our second year shooters, is going to be using this in a couple of weeks for WY-SHOT.

Sounds like a fun range trip. I do like the old .308. I've never really shot beyond 100 yards and don't get a lot of opportunity to shoot lately, I will be curious to see what shooting out to longer distances is like when I get the opportunity.

I am kind of interested to know if anyone here uses ballistic cards for shooting longer ranges. I didn't understand them for a while but after learning how they work they seem like they could be a very handy way to make it easier to shoot long range and with more consistency.

It does appear as if you have doped that cartridge/firing system very well. Excellent work.

Sounds like a fun range trip. I do like the old .308. I've never really shot beyond 100 yards and don't get a lot of opportunity to shoot lately, I will be curious to see what shooting out to longer distances is like when I get the opportunity.

I am kind of interested to know if anyone here uses ballistic cards for shooting longer ranges. I didn't understand them for a while but after learning how they work they seem like they could be a very handy way to make it easier to shoot long range and with more consistency.
I use a shooting app on my smart phone. Once confirmed, I also print one off, to have a hard copy with me

Ernie,
That is some fantastic shooting! You are certainly making that 308 sing. Are you using a EER scope or a standard stock Leupold rifle scope?

JD338

Basically the same cost as a custom rifle build.
Within that framework, there is cheaper and more expensive options of course

Do you want to build a rear-grip (single-shot or repeater) or a single-shot center-grip?

If you are looking for a center-grip single-shot XP-100, prices on the used market for a builder will run from $700 to a grand...They seem to be popular right now. Maybe I have been enabling to much:giggle:
Barrel blank will run from $250-$400
Stock will likely run from $350 to $450
20 MOA pic rail $45ish
Decent muzzle brake from $100-$200
Chambering, bedding, threading for a brake, etc...depends on the smith

Back