Remington XP-100 chambered in 308 Winchester (The Dirty Thirty)

What chamberings are you considering?
Uses?
max distance you want to either hunt game at or shoot on steel or pd's at?

In one sentence, you have outstripped my knowledge of bolt-pistols.

I may write like I'm intelligent, but my internal dialogue goes more like: "Guns! Ohhhhh, shiny! Me make big boom noise!"
Just tell me all the things you would love to accomplish with a custom specialty pistol???😇

Heavy barrel center- grip XP-100 in 22GT capable of hitting targets about as far as you could imagine, that has very little recoil, and you can safely see a full field of view, even when using a rifle scope...
dSfG8pjl.jpg

6mm-284 with a carbon wrapped PROOF barrel and a Holland brake with McMillan stock...Need I say more???
BdOal9Vl.jpg

6.5-284 single shot clone XP-100 (Borden Alpine action). Dan killed his cow elk at 680 with it last year, and I can even shoot it great on steel as well at distance (575 yards).
zPDbkZcl.jpg

2N8D5T0l.jpg

280AI XP-100. Works good on about killing anything, and there is good factory ammo out there.
R06ndFxl.jpg

6.5 PRC also shoot s great with factory ammo - 3-shot group around 3.5 inches just a grand with factory ammo.
My cow last year using the same ammo. I have switched scopes around some as you can tell.
0JPBSZCl.jpg

EDBWA6bl.jpg

6mm Creed that one of my church member's borrowed to shoot this buck.
JyWY6ADl.jpg

6.5 Creed is one of my loaner WY-SHOT XP's
J5FGOoal.jpg

223 Remington, 20 BR, 20 Vartarg....Just tell me what you would like to shoot or hunt with???

Yes... but, what is a center grip? Or a rear grip for that matter?

*EDIT* Absolutely poking holes in tasty animals.

Ernie,
What are your thoughts on
the Nosler M48 pistol as a starting point.
I do realize having a custom build gets you exactly what you are specing out but maybe off the shelf might be a good starting point.

JD338

Center-grip..Notice how the grip is forward compared to the one below. It is a single-shot, and the trigger linkage goes from the trigger just under the bottom of the single-shot action to the back. This one is a 22 Creed

Rear grip can either be in a single-shot or a internal magazine like a ADL or BDL, or even a deatachable magazine like the one below.
With the a rear grip XP or XP-100R or a clone (non-designated) 700 short action you can use any trigger that you would use a for a Remington 700. 6.5x47 Lapua. Kauger Arms Black Widow.
Dan is shooting a 10" piece of steel with my Black Widow at 400 yards. Notice how the grip is at the very back of the specialty pistol.

Ernie,
What are your thoughts on
the Nosler M48 pistol as a starting point.
I do realize having a custom build gets you exactly what you are specing out but maybe off the shelf might be a good starting point.

JD338
This would be a great platform to start with and it is already threaded for a brake. They have had very good accuracy!
6.5 Creed: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/936398701
7mm-08: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/928973538

Center-grip..Notice how the grip is forward compared to the one below. It is a single-shot, and the trigger linkage goes from the trigger just under the bottom of the single-shot action to the back. This one is a 22 Creed

Rear grip can either be in a single-shot or a internal magazine like a ADL or BDL, or even a deatachable magazine like the one below.
With the a rear grip XP or XP-100R or a clone (non-designated) 700 short action you can use any trigger that you would use a for a Remington 700. 6.5x47 Lapua. Kauger Arms Black Widow.
Dan is shooting a 10" piece of steel with my Black Widow at 400 yards. Notice how the grip is at the very back of the specialty pistol.
Okay, so if I understand correctly, it is where the grip is in relation to the rest of the furniture OR it's where the grip is in relation to the action. Either way, I've seen one now and can at least pretend that I understand well enough to fool some.

So, that rear grip didn't move much when the action was cycled, I take it that it is fairly weighty? What are your thoughts on a left hand action (I am right handed) so I could maintain grip while cycling?

Fascinating subject, really.

Okay, so if I understand correctly, it is where the grip is in relation to the rest of the furniture OR it's where the grip is in relation to the action. Either way, I've seen one now and can at least pretend that I understand well enough to fool some.

So, that rear grip didn't move much when the action was cycled, I take it that it is fairly weighty? What are your thoughts on a left hand action (I am right handed) so I could maintain grip while cycling?

I believe the Savage Stryker right hay has a left hand bolt for cycling.

JD338

Center grip has the trigger in front of the bolt. Rear grip trigger is located as the same as a bolt action rifle. I have a Savage Striker and I just can’t seem to get the feel for the center grip.

The single-shot XP-100 and for that matter the Nosler Independence single-shot center-grip are both right hand bolt/right side port...Which in our terms is a RH action.
The weirdness of that, which you have already figured out is that a RH action in a specialty pistol is actually perfect for a left-hand shooter.
I Am A Left-Handed Shooter...SCORE!
Finally, something was unintentionally made for us👍
If you go with a rear grip, I would recommend a left bolt/left port action, with a stock that is ambi or dedicated RH like the Kauger Arms for sure. FWIW I shoot just fine with either the rh or the lh grip of the Kauger stock regardless of which hand I am shooting.
With the rear-grip specialty pistols like the Kauger Arms Black Widow you can order it in a left bolt/left port, yet with a right-hand grip.
The one pictured is a right bolt/right port, which is what I have, since I am left-handed.
They can do one in a single-shot or with a detachable mag (H-S Precision bottom metal) which is very smooth.
They can do any short action cartridge (they only list two, but they have NOT updated this part of their website) when using a magazine, and about any short or long action when doing it as a single-shot.
Recoil:
#1 A rear grip will have less muzzle flip simply because of the location of the grip compared to a center-grip, with everything else (chambering/bullet weight/MV/cartridge) being equal.
#2 Great Muzzle brake! You will be hard pressed to find a better muzzle brake than a Holland Radial Baffle.
You can upgrade to a Bartlein barrel (They may have some other top tier barrels too) if you want from Kauger.
A little more about the Black Widow: https://bulletin.accurateshooter.co...-ernie-bishops-bolt-action-specialty-pistols/
Dan and I have stretched this little cartridge out in the Black Widow.
Me shooting at 10" steel (@ 400, 496, 575, 645, and 673 yards), all with first shot connections
with the 6.5x47 Lapua Kauger Arms Black Widow. Dan is spotting for me
If you want my phone number, just PM me or you can contact via my website: https://sebrests-usa.com/

Center grip has the trigger in front of the bolt. Rear grip trigger is located as the same as a bolt action rifle. I have a Savage Striker and I just can’t seem to get the feel for the center grip.
Personally, I have never been a fan of the Striker.
It stock makes the action set to high, the stock is awkward, the trigger is average at best to yuck. I feel this way regardless if it was a rh or a lf bolt.

C6F4FD44-5A34-42E7-A237-27A68360782E.jpeg
My Kauger 22GT. Kauger Arms PRS action, MDT chassis, Hart 1-7T barrel.
A rear-grip specialty pistol set up for PRS and long-range tactical steel shoots.
I have a thread here with some videos when I did my first set of drop confirmations with it

Okay - lots of good info. Thank you.
You are welcome.
Production guns that would be ready to go:
Center-grip single-shot: Nosler pistol. Limited cartridge choices. Better balance when shooting from some field positions, because of the location of the grip.
Rear-grip (single-shot or repeater that can be purchased for a right-hand or a left hand shooter). Kauger Arms Black Widow. Almost limitless in chambering choices. Better for bench shooting, as the pistol doesn't pop as much because of the location of the grip. Easier to see your own impacts through the scope.
These features do NOT make one platform better than the other.
It makes them different. It truly comes down to what you want/like/prefer.

In the custom world, you have about as many options as you do in the rifle world.
In specialty pistols I have chamberings as small as the 22lr, 17 Mach IV, 204 Ruger, 20 BR, 20 Vartarg, 223 Remington up to the 26 Nosler, 7mm Dakota, 7mm-300PRC, 300 RUM, 338 Lapua Improved, and 375 Chey-Tac. With great muzzle brakes all of the big boys use rifle scopes.

Back