Resizing Brass

MrMinks2

Beginner
Oct 29, 2014
After reading responses to an earlier post of mine, someone suggested that I try out some Nosler brass for my .25-06. Well, apparently this is very popular brass and I couldn't locate any, anywhere. If I resize new .30-06 brass down to .25-06 is there any downside (other than the head-stamp misidentifying the cartridge)?

Regular ol' Remington & Winchester .25-06 brass has worked out just fine for me as well. Don't be afraid to use that stuff, not at all. It just takes a little more prep time, while the Nosler is so beautifully prepped, right out of the box!

Guy

Guy is spot on; the 25-06 will digest pretty much any 30-06 brass sized down to accept the bullet. And it will do so with aplomb, performing wondrously for you. Convenience is nice--we all enjoy it; but, Winchester and Remington brass will perform well for you.

...works a lot easier if you can neck it down to .270 or .284 first, before final sizing to .25-06. Check your final case length...

I hope what I've experienced helps- As always, your experience may vary.

I'm not really impressed with my Nosler 25-06 brass. It has shown to be soft and not like its parents reputation. When I was developing a load for the brass, it showed pressure signs (shiny marks, ejector marks, and heavy bolt lift) well before my rem brass did. I think it was a grain and half or two grains difference. My Nosler brass's case capacity is 5 or 7 grains (h2o) larger than my Remington and Noslers reported case capacity for Winchester cases. To me, that says the case is thinner. I did some interwebz searching and found that I wasn't alone in my experience.

Despite this, I found a good load (different powder than what was in the rem cases) that is decent in velocity and accurate. I'll accept a few light marks on the cases just to be done with trying to find a load. I only shoot the 06 5-10 times a year if I draw a tag so this batch will probably last me 40+ years anyway. And if the primer pockets loosen, I can use the next largest in diameter primer for another one or two loadings like I've done with my 7.62.

I've read in several places that Winchester 06 brass has performed excellente. Besides, Nosler used Win brass for its load data...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back