Resizing question

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
I just acquired a Carl Gustav 3000 and it uses a Sauer 80 action. Since it is rear locking, is FL sizing the best method. Or could neck sizing be used?

Full length re-sizing to 'Fired Case' headspace dimension is in my opinion best, but yes, you can neck size.
I gave up neck sizing many years ago. Neck sizing, while many folk do it, doing this has its own issues - eventually after a few 'Neck sized' firings, the case will 'Grow' at the shoulder & will need F/L resizing.
F/l resizing to fired case headspace dimensions is consistent - ALWAYS - & you can be sure your rounds will chamber correctly every time.
Good luck with your acquisition

I gave up neck sizing long ago, learned from experience when I had a .308 back in the 90's, used a neck sizing Redding die. The bolt would close fine the first few firings, then it would gall the lugs and requires a full size to bring the shoulder back down to specs. I use a full length non bushing die to start with new brass, and switch to bushing full length dies after firing to get the neck tension I want. I bump the shoulders .002" and bolt closes consistently each time.

Thanks for the responses. Would it be worthwhile to purchase a Hornady headspace kit?

You can use neck sized brass in your rifle but as it has rear locking lugs, your brass may stretch sooner than with a rilfe wth front lugs. Then too, you will probably have to full lenfth resize a bit sooner as well. On the cartridges I do neck size I usually check trim prior to loading the case again. Usually a full length was needed by reload number five. With a rear locking rifle I'm thinking you might have to trim and FL size after maybe three reloads. The only rear locking rifles I've ever owned were Savage M99s and the three times was the working figure for all three rifles. The two .303 Savages are long gone but I still have the .358 Win.
Paul B.

Thanks for the responses. Would it be worthwhile to purchase a Hornady headspace kit?
In my opinion - Definitely
I use it & measure my 'Fired Case' headspace with fired primer still in place. Set F/L sizing die to just bump case shoulder back Max .002"

I decap the primers prior to measuring headspace, some primers do protrude very little and affects the readings by a half thousand or so.
Yup, primers do get pushed back from the pocket into the bolt face & I regard this small amount of additional measurement as worth taking into consideration to achieve a max headspace dimension. In allowing this & setting my die accordingly I can say, I've never had an issue with chambering ANY round. It's worthwhile noting, setting headspace dimension with my F/L dies has the benefit of extending case life (as well as annealing). It works for me & should equally work for others.
However, the difference between measuring primer out & fired prime in is very small - a couple of thou at most.
We all have our own way of doing things usually learned by experience & determining what works best for us to achieve optimum case life & accuracy.

Back