Reticle choice

Wis65x55

Handloader
Jul 31, 2011
I will be replaceing a Nikon scope. With all the reticle choices on the market, which one is best and why?
Will be mounted on 280 Remington.
maximum range 350 yds.
big game and target shooting.

Keith

Hi Keith, I believe it will depend on what rifle you are shooting and what it will be used for most of the time.

Blessings,
Dan

All of my scopes are fixed power Leupolds with the duplex cross-hair and that works fine. I do really like the B&C reticle in his 4.5-14x44mm Leupold though, and a Zeiss Conquest scope he has also has something similar called the Z600 with stadia lines for different distances. I think I would now get something like one of those. Leupold can also do a duplex with dots that is configured for the ballistics of the load you are shooting.

Love those 280 Remingtons. Great rifles.

If you're shooting a 280Rem, at deer sized game, and 350yds is your limit, it will depend a little bit on the bullet you choose, but consider this scenario:

If you shot a 140gr bullet such as the AccuBond or Ballistic Tip, at about 2900fps, you'd have a 288yd point blank range sighted 2.5" high at 100yds. That means out to 288yds, you could just hold dead on the center of the vitals and be in the kill zone. Beyond that, at 300-310yds, you'd hold about halfway between center of the kill zone and the top of his back, and at 350yds, you'd hold right along the top of his back (for a white-tail sized animal with an 18-20" chest from top to bottom. You could easily do that with only a duplex or #4 reticle. Now, if you're shooting a different bullet (a 150 or 160gr) you'll be looking at slightly different numbers, but you'd still have close to 350yds worth of hold without getting off the animal.

Alternately, you could get one of the ballistic reticled scopes. I have two, and really like them. Mine are the simple reticles, and not nearly as busy as most of the Zeiss reticles. Mine have a simple series of 2-4 lines below the main crosshairs, of varying width and spacing. You'll have to figure out your load and what you think you want in terms of line spacing to make the right choice on those. I'd sure consider the 3-9x40 Minox with BDC if I was looking. It's simple and uncluttered, and I think it would serve you well. If you decided to go with a duplex or #4, I'd consider the same scope, or the Zeiss Conquest, or the Meopta Meopro. Any of these can be had for under $300 if you shop hard, and all of them are excellent glass that should last you a lifetime.

I am sorry I must of been asleep. For the 280 I would look at the BDC reticle that most of the scope manufacturers are now producing.
I would personally stick with Leupold that is just my preference :)

Blessings,
Dan

I would just use the standard Duplex reticle.
Leupold offers CDS dials and with a laser range finder, you can dial in the range.
The 280 Rem is an easy 500 yard deer killer, well beyond the 350 yds you mentioned. You are going to be in fine shape!

JD338

JD338":1yg9rq1e said:
I would just use the standard Duplex reticle.
Leupold offers CDS dials and with a laser range finder, you can dial in the range.
The 280 Rem is an easy 500 yard deer killer, well beyond the 350 yds you mentioned. You are going to be in fine shape!

JD338

I agree as I am also a Leupold supporter and like their cds system. I believe for the price this would work very well for you at the range or in the field.

I will also mentions the Swarovski Z6i 1-6 x 24 BRT as it would work at the range out to 500 yards and beyond and a good hunting scope as well ( this is for your 280, if you was to use the scope on a larger caliber gun you would want the EE, not the BRT, IMHO ) But the BRT would work well at the range, especially if in competition and the field. If not in competition and its use is mainly in he field, I would consider the 1.7 -10 x 42--with a 4A-1

You have a lot more knowledge about scopes than I likely ever will, and different makes and models. Post away. Only a fool would not listen! :)
David

Africa Huntress":shtgxc06 said:
Would someone please pm me if this suggestion is out of line, as I have debated for several minutes about whether to submit this post or not. Perhaps I should have stopped after agreeing with Jim--thanks

The only way it would be out of line is that I can't afford one. Have one I can borrow? :)

(just kidding, of course)

Now for a serious answer... rifle would determine what I would run... on a nice looking, wood stocked rifle, I'd run a 3.5-10x40 VX3 with CDS. On a synthetic or laminate, I might think about an M1 elevation turret.

Well, here's a different idea. Dad always had (still does) a K-4 with a pretty fine crosshair and a 2 min. dot. I had leupold put a similar set up in a 2-7 VXII. It gives me a dot that covers about 2 inches at 100 yards on 4X. So about a deers eye. If you need a range finder there you go. Simple and straight forward- no figuring out which hash mark etc. When on target range- sight in 2in high and if you put he dot under the bull and center it on that fine vertical wire should be dead on. Honestlty, this is a traget reticle so the cross hairs are FINE, they literally disappear when looking at some brush or in a certian light. So far the dot remains and just seems to go to the target. Put the dot on the deer and pull the trigger. Havent shot it in low light enough to know if it will be a problem. I have a standard duplex cross hair in my other VXII. Like that too. Just a thought. CL

I am really becoming a fan of the #4 reticle to be honest, it is fast, picks up well up close and with the 280, with a zero like Dubyam mentioned, you wouldn't have to hold off hair past your max range. I kinda like the Minox's alot as they are pretty close to a CDS like system when used. The regular Duplexs are nice as well. If your looking for a BDC system, Leupolds and Minox's are my favorite out of those. Just a few ticks to get you out to 500-600 if needed, but no huge tree.

Young people often ask very open questions with which they can put the "provide copious information" monkey on other's to provide all of their needs for data with no effort on thier part. I am not being critical of intellectual laziness but I used to train fresh graduates from engineering colleges to help them be more than book engineers and this is very common behavior. Many of them would ask open ended questions like this and if I spent much time answering them, I learned but they learned nothing from my labors and knew not much more than when they didnt know much.

The best way is to transfer the knowledge monkey to thier back, is to have they, themselves look for and read literature and find out the answer to their technical question. Then, when they have an information base and some basic knowlege, they can ask specific questions and get back better focused answers that may mean something to them intellectually. Just a thought FWIW.

SJB358":1y3uyhol said:
I am really becoming a fan of the #4 reticle to be honest, it is fast, picks up well up close and with the 280, with a zero like Dubyam mentioned, you wouldn't have to hold off hair past your max range. I kinda like the Minox's alot as they are pretty close to a CDS like system when used. The regular Duplexs are nice as well. If your looking for a BDC system, Leupolds and Minox's are my favorite out of those. Just a few ticks to get you out to 500-600 if needed, but no huge tree.

I'll second this emphatically. I'm very new to the #4, but I love it. For a mid bore, medium range gun, it seems like the bee's knees.

I also really like the CDS system for the 7mm-08.

Both will do their parts if I do mine.

The German No. 4, or similar reticles, predominate on my scopes. It is a great design.

AzDak42":3vmgzuho said:
I'll second this emphatically. I'm very new to the #4, but I love it. For a mid bore, medium range gun, it seems like the bee's knees.

I also really like the CDS system for the 7mm-08.

Both will do their parts if I do mine.

Same here, Joel turned me onto them and I love them! Hence the reason I like the Minox with the 4 reticle. It allows me to have the reticle I want and to add some elevation if I want..

Thanks for all the feed back. Am I correct that Leopoulds BC with stadia lines is better in low light than BDC reticle?
Keith

Wis65x55":3ux0fsin said:
Thanks for all the feed back. Am I correct that Leopoulds BC with stadia lines is better in low light than BDC reticle?
Keith

It depends on which scope with BDC you are comparing?

I like the looks of Minox ZA-3-3-9X40 BDC. Not familiar with their level of quality.
Keith

Wis65x55":1ok1t64v said:
I like the looks of Minox ZA-3-3-9X40 BDC. Not familiar with their level of quality.
Keith

Keith, they are pretty nice and seem plenty strong to me. I have two 3x9's and one 2-10 on my 338WM. Shot the 338WM alot last year with no ill effects to it. The other 3x9 is on my 35 Whelen, so it takes some punishment as well. They are good scopes.

Oh, the 3rd 3x9 is on a 7x57 Mauser, but that rifle is a cream puff!

Back