Rifle for a new hunter

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
Well, I lit the fire and my sig. other wants not only a rifle, but she wants to start hunting :grin: .

So, I am looking to get her a rifle, and am looking into recomendations as to who makes a good youth/compact rifle that wont beat her up and harvest game.

I was thinking of a 260, 257 Roberts, or....idk.

I had an idea of getting either a barreled action from Howa or one of the ER Shaw barreled Savage actions, and putting it in a Boyds laminate stock, as she wants one that is "pretty" :roll:

Thanks again,

A.J.

The Savage brld action would be a good bet. Another good one if you can find it in good condition would be a mauser 93 or 96 in 6.5x55 or 7x57mm. The swede is a soft shooter as is the 7x57mm with l30-145 gr bullets loaded to M93 pressure levels.

Tikka and Sako also make some very fine rifles that will fit your parameters.

If you're mostly talking deer, I think 260 rem or 6.5x55 are ideal. In a modern action I'd give the 6.5x55 the nod with full house 6.5X55SE data if you need to shoot long. If shooting will be at more moderate range there is no difference between the two. .257 roberts might be a good option too. Not personally a fan of .243/6mm. They'll take deer but IMHO the .257 or larger rounds will do it better without significantly more recoil. 7mm08 with lighter bullets and even .308 win if you handload and stick with milder 150 grain loads would be fine rounds also.

I don't like the .270 win as much for a youth/ladies rifle. Recoil of this round has always felt "sharper" to me. It seems to jolt disproportionately to it's ballistics. Maybe I'm just imagining this but that's how it feels. Boyds makes a nice walnut or laminate stock. If you're a little bit handy and up to doing some minor fitting and finish it yourself... and wait a long time... Richards microfit makes a beautiful stock in some very nice styles. I love them, just be prepared for nonexistent customer service and a terribly long lead time.

I would look at one of the smaller 6.5's like the 260 Rem, 6.5x55 or 6.5 Creedmore or maybe a 25-06 even though the latter is a long action round it should be excellent and light kicking. My sister in law has a Tikka stainless 25-06 and between her and my brother they took 10 deer this last fall with it.

I would not hesitate to buy a Model 70 FW in the .257 Roberts for a new shooter (woman) and would do so in a moment. I have a .257 Roberts with full length action and mine can be handloaded to equal or surpass a 6mm Rem which is a very good place to start with beginner deer rifles. I can attain, with handloads or with Nosler Custom Factory loads in the 110 gr AccuBond, a velocity of 3050 fps in the 24 inch barrel of my rifle. This factory load is a fine starting place for a new shooter and deer hunter, plus the Nosler loads are pretty accurate in my rifle and shoot close to MOA.

I have killed several deer with the .257 Roberts and 100 grain Partition handloads. These Partition bullets always performed well for me on whitetail deer. The 110 grain AccuBond factory load should be equivalent or better deer medicine.

All good suggestions. Focus on finding a stock that fits her and the cartridge will take care of itself. Any of those named will serve her well in the realm of hunting.

She looked at some Boyds Laminate stocks with me, and really likes one. Now my question is could a competent gunsmith cut it down to fit her? And how much would it be for something like that?

ajvigs":2d3py419 said:
Now my question is could a competent gunsmith cut it down to fit her? And how much would it be for something like that?

Yes, a competent gunsmith can cut it down to fit her. On the other hand, why not order it to fit. Most gunsmiths will help you measure her length of pull. Add a good recoil pad, such as a Limb Saver or a Pachmayr Decelerator, and she will be good to go. The cost for fitting will be nominal, dictated more by the smith than any other factor. Many times, if you are buying the rifle through the store for which the smith works, or if they are doing the work for you of fitting the action and barrel to the stock, they will cut you a break.

The laminates are definitely nice they can be a bit heavier than a similar walnut stock so reducing them for weight would be a good idea. Shouldn't be too hard for a gunsmith to do.

DrMike has the right idea about buying the rifle from a store with a resident gunsmith. Often you can cut a deal for the stock downsize and put a good pad on the shorter stock for her as well. Sounds smart to me.

ajvigs":c6zxxskz said:
She looked at some Boyds Laminate stocks with me, and really likes one. Now my question is could a competent gunsmith cut it down to fit her? And how much would it be for something like that?
You talked earlier about getting a barreled action and a laminate stock. That would also take a competent gunsmith if you don't have the skills. They (Boyd's) do make a featherweight thumbhole model, but I don't think they provide finished and totally fitted products. Those stocks are "pretty" for sure.
EE2

I will talk to the gunsmith there and see what they can do for me. The owner of the shop is an old Jarhead so I am sure they would help me out :)

Before we go hole-hog and get her a game rifle I will be picking up a 22 to teach her he fundamentals of marksmanship, as well as have her shoot my 7mm/08 when it comes to see if the recoil bothers her at all

Before she pulls the trigger on your rifle, ensure that she has all the advantages you can give her. The LOP will not likely fit her, so don't hesitate to use a sissy bag. Also, choose a lighter bullet to reduce felt recoil--perhaps a 120 grain bullet or purchase a box of Remington Managed Recoil ammunition (140 grain Core-Lokt PSP). Ensure that she has excellent hearing protection to cut down on the intimidation factor from report. I use, and recommend especially for newer shooters, double protection--ear plugs and muffs.

ajvigs here is a picture of my son's Ruger MKII with the Boyds nutmeg laminate stock on it. I had my gunsmith pillar & glass bed it after it came in just to make sure the action and stock had the best fit possible. I never asked him how much tweaking he had to do if any to get it to fit perfectly, but I imagine there was some work to be done. Boyds does offer them with different patterns of checkering for not too much more which is nice also. As other have alluded to, the laminate will be heavier, but they are a very strong and stable platform for the rifle. The picture really doesn't do the stock justice by the way. It is very attractive.

006-11.jpg

I really think the guys are steering you in a good direction as far as calibers are also. I don't recall if a 25-06 was in the mix, but for what it sounds like you would be hunting, that would be a fantastic one to consider too. Really light on the recoil department with very good ballistics. Congratulations on the new partner.

David

6mm Rem,
I like what I see, and I am thinking of doing the same you did for your son. I will be doing a lot of research, and I think I will pick her up a 25-06 or 7mm08.
That looks like one awesome rifle BTW,

Dr.Mike,
I will take all those things you said and utilize them when I have her shoot, as the last thing I want is for her to get gun-shy form a bad trip to the range. I have had her shoot 22's and a 9mm before and she did quite well, but never anything bigger

ajvigs":wq2imsdl said:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=318068825

Good?
I think Howa's are a solid rifle and I just picked up one in 6.5x55 not to long ago. If this has the 3 position safety on it, it will have the better trigger as well.

Mine has a great trigger and the 3 POS safety. Have not had a chance to shoot it much but really like it.

I also have two Weatherby Vanguards and virtually the same as the Howa, and they both shoot very well.

I can think of no better example to cite than our own Steven (who posts as Roysclockgun here). He set up his wonderful wife Storm with a nice 7mm-08 Howa, which she used brilliantly on our Wyoming mule deer & pronghorn hunt:

"For wife, Storm, I bought a Howa rifle last year, chambered for 7mm-08. I created two loads, one for deer and the othe for wild pigs. Both have performed well. I loaded up the 120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip to an average of 3028 FPS. The 140gr. Nosler Partition is going out at an average of 2721. She used the 140gr bullet on the pig and for all others, the 120gr. bullet. I could boost the MV, but for her, I am happy with the MV that I have attained.

I worked up slowly, making certain that Storm was not put off by recoil. She can go through a box of either load at the range and not hurt nor begin to flinch, as I watch her closely. Sometimes, I load single rounds from behind her and give her an empty case on occasion, just to check and see if she is beginning to flinch. So far, so good! She has taken one of each, mule deer, whitetail, antelope and wild pig. All one shot kills. Needless to say, she loves her Howa rifle. I had gotten the package with two stocks and at 5' 2", she uses the "Youth Stock".

The Howa is a fine shooter and a great value. I recommend the Howa for anyone looking for a hunting rifle. Once I got to the right MV, there was no issue with accuracy. For Storm, the short stock comes up and shoulders without trying."

Link:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21453

Steven and Storm with her Wyoming mule deer buck, just over a month ago:
IMG_6826.jpg

That example likely beats any other advice I could deliver.

Regards, Guy

Back