Rifle Names

I am working out of town but I will post some when I get home.
I have been wanting to pattern some 00buck for fun. I will have to find something to shoot at for some good before and after pics to go with the pics of the Beast. I wish I had an old door laying around.

.300 WSM Ruger Frontier; 35.5" OAL, w/16.5" barrel == MIGHTY MOUSE!

.375 Ruger Alaskan; 40.5" OAL w/20" barrel.....I`m still thinking about a nickname for that one!................Any ideas?

But for my Frontier,,,,it`s MIGHTY MOUSE!

YoteSmoker":2gxj8vle said:
Big Bertha?
.......I thought of that too. Too common!......... Big Bertha sounds like more like a nickname for a tank or a 16" battleship gun, or for a big bored double rifle like a 458, a 600 or a 700 Nitro.............Need a good nickname for a 375 medium bore that ties into the Alaskan rifle.

"Mighty Mouse" is a good one for Frontier though. Very appropriate!

Big Squeeze":1antr2us said:
.375 Ruger Alaskan; 40.5" OAL w/20" barrel.....I`m still thinking about a nickname for that one!................Any ideas?

Let's see, not very big, but has a lot of bite. Usually gets the job done.

How about......... Sarah?

Well I call my old stand by "naught" that's short for " naught6 (it's an-ought-6)
I am a Star Trek fan so I Think I'm gonna name my new 7 Mag, #1 ...since thats what it is.
Does anyone (other than us not so young guys) know why they call it a 30-ought-6 ?

I got a rifle I don't like and really it is not worth much, it is a sks and I named it KATRINA !!!!!!

BK":1bzni661 said:
Big Squeeze":1bzni661 said:

Let's see, not very big, but has a lot of bite. Usually gets the job done.

How about......... Sarah?
.................Well! Let`s see now!....My rifle is called the "Alaskan" and Sarah Palin is from Alaska AND she does have a big bite like the 375 Ruger!......HMMMMM!..........I`ll give that one some reeeeel careful thought!..................SARAH HMMM?.............Thanks for that one!

JDMAG":2dgd19r1 said:
Well I call my old stand by "naught" that's short for " naught6 (it's an-ought-6)
I am a Star Trek fan so I Think I'm gonna name my new 7 Mag, #1 ...since thats what it is.
Does anyone (other than us not so young guys) know why they call it a 30-ought-6 ?

First, what do you consider "not so young"? I'm pushing 40 and I know what 30-06 stands for.

40 ain't so young! :) I'm 46,I mean 20 ish. and I'm talking about the term ought,
No one I know uses the term ought unless they are referring to the 30-06 or 00 buckshot, I haven't even heard the term "doublenought spy" except in Beverly hillbilly re-runs! My parents (My dad was 55 when I was born and my mom 45) used the term on regular occasion, instead of saying zero. I'll bet it soon disappears from the dictionary. :roll:

Since we're on the subject of arcane historical trivia, anybody know the cartridge that the '06 is decended from?

Correct. Know what the changes were?

I figure with this crowd, these are softball questions.

JDMAG":2w0lpepr said:
40 ain't so young! :) I'm 46,I mean 20 ish. and I'm talking about the term ought,
No one I know uses the term ought unless they are referring to the 30-06 or 00 buckshot, I haven't even heard the term "doublenought spy" except in Beverly hillbilly re-runs! My parents (My dad was 55 when I was born and my mom 45) used the term on regular occasion, instead of saying zero. I'll bet it soon disappears from the dictionary. :roll:

When I was reading through Elmer Keith's Hell I was There I noticed that he would call the date "19 and 23". Think I might start doing that as a tribute.

Happy 20 and ought-nine!

Only named two over the years:

Lil' Sparky - .221 lightweight, walking varmint rifle

Black Mamba - 6mmAI heavy varmint rig

BK":1g6kxed8 said:
JDMAG":1g6kxed8 said:

When I was reading through Elmer Keith's Hell I was There I noticed that he would call the date "19 and 23". Think I might start doing that as a tribute.

Happy 20 and ought-nine!
I like that!
Happy 20 and ought-9 to you too!
Just has a nice ring to it!

Back