Rifle Names

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
Bullet's post in the Hunting forum about naming his 257WBY has sparked some curiousity.

How many of you have names for your rifles, what are they, and why/how did you give it that name?

I have names for some of my rifles, but not all.

- 30-06 - Uncle's 06 (Bought it for my Uncle, but he said he couldn't accept it, so I have it)

- 7MM RUM - Lil Cannon
- 300 RUM - Cannon
- 338 RUM - Super Cannon
- 375 RUM - Mega Cannon
--The RUM names should be obvious as to why.

My 300Wby is Thor's Hammer for obvious reasons because it hit hard, breaks bones and leaves a big hole, it crushes things and pounds them to the ground. My 450Marlin is Odin who was the father of Thor and it does up close what Thor's Hammer dose but in spades. My 30-06 is Beartooth, because when a bear sinks his tooth in you it is because you are more than likely already dead from the blow of his paw and he is eating you. My 22-250 is named French Fry, because compared to the other guns I have owned and do own the 22-250 is surely a killer but small in comparison to the others, both in bullet size and initial killing effect.

At the moment I am leaning toward Killer Bee for my 257Wby and as Richracer1 said, "small but very devastating."

My favorite is one that I saw on another forum, THUNDER.

"The lighting strikes before you hear the THUNDER".

JD338

My .35 Whelen is named "Thumper". 250 gr. bullets really 'thump' when they hit stuff. The rest of the stuff either doesn't have a name or else it's not very creative, ie 'Grandpa's 6mm' or 'The Gold Cup' or 'The Commander'.

I bought a 4" S&W M29 after reading an article in American Handgunner in the late '80s by Massad Ayoob ("4x44"). Maybe I should call it 'Mas'.

JD338":f2wmppom said:
My favorite is one that I saw on another forum, THUNDER.

"The lighting strikes before you hear the THUNDER".

JD338

Good point Jim about lighting striking before thunder. I think names given things make it personal. It is fun anyway.

Okay, so my Tikka T3 Lite in .22-250 is "Sally" & my Ruger 1 in 7mm RUM is "Walter" :oops: If I tried to explain why these names, I couldn't begin to tell you :roll:

"Walter" hunts with me in the fall, of course & "Sally" comes whenever I go ice fishing. We have lots of Yotes up here too & a few pigs. :)

my 338 wm is big papa thump
300 wm is jethro
280 mt rifle is desiree the most evil woman on the planet
22 250 is pepe

I call my 25-06 "light switch" because when you pull the trigger it turns the lights out on whatever you shoot.

1Shot":1b479ipw said:
I call my 25-06 "light switch" because when you pull the trigger it turns the lights out on whatever you shoot.

cool name indeed, wished I had thought of that one. :grin:

Saw on another forum somebody had an all black rifle that he named Elvira. Might just have to copy it. Maybe a Weatherby, 'cause the stock is so curvy?

1.jpg

This one is called :shock: :eek: :shock: 8) :grin:
I guess I am at a loss for words and my mouth just hangs open.
I still can't believe i have one.

That is more than a beautiful rifle my friend, that is a work of art. Nosler sure makes a man lust. A very well done rifle that captures the eye and speaks of tradition all in one view.

jtoews80":27um52oa said:
That is a BEAUTIFUL rifle.

Sounds like you have your name, "Beautie". May not be masculine and you'll get heckled by your friends about that name, but it does fit.

Richracer1":2spqadwd said:
jtoews80":2spqadwd said:
That is a BEAUTIFUL rifle.

Sounds like you have your name, "Beautie". May not be masculine and you'll get heckled by your friends about that name, but it does fit.

That just might work. I could name the Mossberg rolling thunder 12ga "beast"

Back