The Runner(s) Up - All around cartridge

Don't forget about the 9.3x62mm.
A 286 gr. bullet at 2500 fps and a 250 gr. bullet at 2650 fps put the hurt on game.
It's like a 375H&H light.

Right now until I see something different that would change my mind, for shots in the woods averaging under 150 yds first choice would be 35 Remington. Light kicker, thumps on the other end, big holes with plenty of blood if that's needed, and very little to no meat loss with conventional bullets in my experience. Will handle everything from whitetail to things much larger with one bullet.

30-06 would be second choice in the same circumstances to handle a large variety of game. Extend the distance and it's number one for me as a all around rifle.

Well, technically, 35 Whelen and 35 Whelen AI are two different cartridges...
Hahaha, I got one of them and I would have trouble leaving it behind. My M77 30-06 would be my primary. My M70 338 Win is another I would need to tote along. M70 7mm Rem mag, M70 300 Win would all have to go including my M725 257 Roberts.
Too many choices.

Hahaha, I got one of them and I would have trouble leaving it behind. My M77 30-06 would be my primary. My M70 338 Win is another I would need to tote along. M70 7mm Rem mag, M70 300 Win would all have to go including my M725 257 Roberts.
Too many choices.

You have a 725 in a Roberts? Not a 722? That would be a cool rifle. Rebarrel I'm assuming?

Don't forget about the 9.3x62mm.
A 286 gr. bullet at 2500 fps and a 250 gr. bullet at 2650 fps put the hurt on game.
It's like a 375H&H light.
That's definitely one I want to try. I kinda wish I would have picked up one of the Ruger Africans when they were offered.

An interesting note on this choices; it never ceases to amaze me how many folks own 2/3/4 MAGNUM rifles...???
However I really wonder what percentage of them will ever hunt Africa/Alaska.????? When I quiz hunters WHY they think they need one they all say " so I can take 400 PLUS yard shots".
Of course after 50 years of guiding hunters it is very obvious that the average hunter is hoping the word "Magnum" will make up for their own lack of shooting skills.......... It would be a conservative guess that in New Brunswick/ Ontario/ Maine in the last 80/90 years there have been more Moose killed with a 35 Reminton than all the Magnum calibers combined??? None of the local guides/ hunters ever saw a need for them. As a kid we used to see a few .348W in 71 Winchester's, they were considered same as a model 95 in 405; "Elephant Guns". Even the 45/70 with milk toast factory loadings of 1350fps/ 405gr were always figured to be unnecessary for Whitetails. If you live out west and are accustomed to long pokes; then there would be an exception to this. However, it's likely 80% of folks don't really fall into that slot. The American public seams to believe today, that a 300 Magnum is something on the order of at least 50% stronger that the low life old 30/06..... Not the 10/15% it actually is. If you live where there are now Grizzly bears. That may entice you towards big magnums.
Well all I can say bout that is, take any modern 30/06 loaded with 180/200 premium bullets and you prance out a dozen grizzly bears, and I will show you; ' one dozen dead ones' so fast it will make your head spin! Substitute the 06 with a 35 Whelen with standard 250gr Speer bullets, and I will show you, a dozen "one shot kills".........
I have NOTHING against a big magnums if you prefer them, but I have no practical use for one.
The one caliber that would be my last one to part with: same as JOC the .270W. That's my 2cw.
P.S. I will bring a box of 30/06 180 gr Barnes TTSX on top of a healthy pile of Superformance running at 2900fps, you get the bears ready, and I will show you how easy it is. 😜

Last edited:
This is a prime example of a Magnum rifle on a bear at over 400. We saw this same result many times over the years.

You have a 725 in a Roberts? Not a 722? That would be a cool rifle. Rebarrel I'm assuming?
Yes it is a new barrel and has a 26" Douglas air gauge barrel on the long action which feeds perfectly.
The original barrel chambered in 30-06 became a victim of my overuse which wore out the throat, so a new barrel was in order to save it at that time. It was my first center fire rifle and was bought used.

Yes it is a new barrel and has a 26" Douglas air gauge barrel on the long action which feeds perfectly.
The original barrel chambered in 30-06 became a victim of my overuse which wore out the throat, so a new barrel was in order to save it at that time. It was my first center fire rifle and was bought used.

Gotcha. If it needed a barrel anyways, good choice that also fits the era of that rifle. 725's are really nice rifles. In my view the Roberts is a perfect compliment.

Favorite All-Around:
308 Win

Runner's Up:
6.5 CM, 270 Win, 300 WSM, 30-06
Great to see you over here Brad..

As for a runner up. I couldn't pick one to save my butt. I love my 7mm Mashburn Super, 270 Win, 35 Whelen and 338 Win..

I guess I have to boil down what would I use if I couldn't have them...

7mm Rem Mag. My first and still the one I could've stuck with for everything I have hunted to date and never had a single hiccup.

Late to the dance... Anything with a 35 and Whelen stamped on the barrel. 200 TTSX makes it 400 yard capable, though never have taken an animal past a lasered 341 yds.

The gunsmith stamped "IMP" after the "35 Whelen" stamp on the pre-chambered Shilen barrel he fitted to a Mauser action when making my 35 Whelen AI. He did that of his own accord, nice touch. Would have asked for "AI" had I known he was going to have a hankering to do that. Best dang rifle I have ever owned. Shoots, carries well, and 22 seasons and counting of memories... priceless.

Back