Rifle scopes

I've used tons of different scopes and I've gradually migrated to Nightforce and some Leupolds. I really think Leupold missed the boat making their TMOA reticle with only 10 MOA in the reticle with 1 MOA spacing. They have 15 and 20 MOA too on a much thicker section but I generally don't take time to dial. I'd rather shoot just with the reticle and 10 MOA only gets most of my rifles to 600-680yds. While I don't like to shoot game past that I do practice past that and have shot a few animals past that distance. There is no reason not to do 20+ MOA in the reticle. That is why I'm moving more towards Nightforce all the time. I'm not a fan of the weight, or cost for that matter, but for the most part Nightforce scopes are pretty bullet proof and about as reliable as it gets. You get what you pay for with them IMO.

Guy shot an Elk recently with a fixed 6x Leupold at 400 yards if I recall his post correctly. Sounds about right to me! A VX-1 that has been to the custom shop for "Click turrets". A couple VX II's (or a 2) also to the custom shop for reticle change and a couple Weaver K-4's- still right on the money BTW. A Vortex, (my only "new purchase"). A couple cheap Bushnell's and a Tasco- :eek: .CL

I've never been a Leupold guy, except for one I inherited as old as me. And have shot a few elk with it. Sounds like I should be a Leupold guy from these responses.

I use Vortex HS which I can't in complain about, Burris!Fullfield, Meopta.

I've always loved Zeiss glass and a V4 will probably be my next scope, but SWFA SS HD has piqued my interest @FOTIS @gbflyer how do you like them specifically? What model?

Most of my scopes are Leupold VX-III/3's (1.5-5, 1.75-6, 2.5-8, 3.5-10 and 4.5-14's, and most w/ B&C reticles). Also have 2, VX-5HD's (2-10 Firedot and 3-15 B&C). Have a pistol scope for the Ruger Mk II Competition, and have a couple rimfire scopes for the 17 Mach II (VX-II LR 4-12) and for the Ruger 10/22 RSI (Freedom 2-7). Have a VX-R 2-7 on the Marlin 338 ME, a SABR 2-7 on the Marlin 375 Win, and a fixed 2.5 heavy duplex on the Marlin 1892 in 41 Rem Mag.
Other scopes incl/ the following:
Swarovski Z-3's: 3-9 on the Ruger 77RSI in 250 Savage, and a 3-10 BRH that was on LH Sako 85 Hunter 6.5x66 - now wearing a Kahles 3-9 TDS to pair up with the Kahles 1-6 on the LH Sako 85 Hunter 9.3x62.
Trijicon: 1-4 w/ green post on LH Ruger 77 416 Taylor
Schmidt & Bender: 1-6 on LH Ruger 77 376 Steyr, and looking at a used Klassik 6x42 for the Ruger No.1 218 Bee
Burris: 3-15x50 Ballistic E1 FFP on the new LH Bergara B14R Carbon Fibre 22LR for 22PRS

I am a hunter first, and good glass that lets me see the crosshairs clearly at first and last light allows me place those shots on game better than the lesser quality glass will. This is important to put meat in the freezer for me and my extended family. Also really like the B&C and TDS reticles for faster acquisition of the target and improving my chance of placing the bullet in the vitals at longer ranges out to 400 yards or more that I have practiced to (using 200 yard zeros), or following up on wounded animals. Although for the most part, of all the game harvested over the past 37 years, my average shot distance is still just 137 yards.

While I have only used warranty twice now on scopes (once for Leupold in over 33 years, and once for Swarovski in 25 years), and once for binoculars (Swarovski) it is nice to know that the products I have, do have good warranties and customer service.

Trijicon lately for my serious stuff mostly. I have a handful of Athlon Helo’s, Schmidt and Bender, a couple Swaro Z5’s and a goodly pile of older 6x36 and 6x42 Leupolds. Also another good stack of SWFA SS 6 and 10x Scopes along with a few 3x9 HD’s. I have had a few of the NF 2.5x10-42’s as well. Once I got my first Trijicon 2-10 the last NF was also sold.

I really like the performance of the Trijicons myself. If I’m springing for a serious rifle I have to depend on, that’s the one.

Father in law just got a VX5 3-15 I’d like to shoot though. It looks incredible but after having been bit hard by a few of the VX6’s I’m a little gun shy.

Just found this and am reading as I have two Leupold VXIIs 3x9 40m on Mod 70 30-06 and a Browning BLR .308. I am planning to replace the Leuppld VXII 2x7 on another Mod 70 30-06 with something in the 6x20 range. Not sure which to pull the purchase pin on yet.

Update:
I now have a VX-6HD 2-12x42 w/ illuminated B&C reticle on my 338 Federal and another VX-5HD in 3-15x44 B&C on my 6.5 PRC and am really enjoying both scopes! Bright, clear with great fields of view, and as always love that B&C reticle for shooting out at the gongs to 500 yards.
I have also picked up another Kahles 3-9x42 TDS and a Trijicon 3-9x40 with duplex green dot as the price was right for each. Time will tell what rifles these will find homes on!

I feel like the low man on the Totem pole. I've got a 3X9 Kahles for my Christensen Arms .300 Mag. My .338 RUM wears a Zeiss Diavari 1X6 which has taken a lot of Elk. My Ruger Deerstalker .44 Carbine wears a Nikon 1.5X4 (old scope but is crystal clear) My .336 Marlin in .35 Remington wears a 1.5X5 Leupold. and my Competitor Arms 30.06 Single shot pistol wears a 2X7 Burris.

Leupold, a couple of vx11 from the late 60s up to two new vx 5’s this year.. I have a bunch of VX111s and a couple of the newer HDs. Have sent one back. They sent me a new scope. When I was on the job my partners rifle got booted off the sixth floor roof of a building we were on. Landed on the scope. They sent us a new scope. I only buy tires from Les Schwab and scopes from Leupold. I will acknowledge they could have done a better job with return to zero dialing. To date I have only dialed three times on three different rifles once during a hunting season. Each effort was successful and the mission concluded. I have seen on the range when trying to test the theory some minor error that would not have resulted in a missed deer out to probably 500 but enough error that shooting a small plate in a match would have been a miss. I think that made sense. Now for some coffee.

I feel like the low man on the Totem pole. I've got a 3X9 Kahles for my Christensen Arms .300 Mag. My .338 RUM wears a Zeiss Diavari 1X6 which has taken a lot of Elk. My Ruger Deerstalker .44 Carbine wears a Nikon 1.5X4 (old scope but is crystal clear) My .336 Marlin in .35 Remington wears a 1.5X5 Leupold. and my Competitor Arms 30.06 Single shot pistol wears a 2X7 Burris.
I wouldn't think so. Sounds like you are well equipped!
I have a Kahles 3-9x42 TDS on my LH Sako 85 Hunter 6.5x55 and another as a spare at the moment (couldn't pass it up when I saw it available at a decent price), and these are great pieces of glass!
I also have two rifles equipped with Leupold VX-3 1.5-5's; my BLR in 358 Win and Marlin in 35 Rem. The BLR has several elk, moose, mule deer and a grizzly.
My LH Ruger in 376 Steyr has a S&B 1.5-6x42 scope and my LH Sako 85 Hunter in 9.3x62 has a Kahles 1.5-6x42; both with German 4 reticles. These have worked well so far on moose.
My 375 Win has the VX-R 2-7x33 mounted on it now, but hasn't been shot since being so equipped. That illuminated reticle will be great for black bear and moose in the dark timber!

I have 1 Leupold 3.5x10 40mm CDS VX3
I have 2 Leupold 4.5x14 40mm CDS VX3
I have 1 Weaver Grand Slam 2.5x8 36mm
I have 1 Burris 1.5x5 24mm
I have 1 Burris Full Field E3 3x9
I have 1 Vortex Razor 1x6 E 30mm LPVO
Now the Truth on Rifle Scopes IMHO I like the Scopes I have and Truth be told Less Magnification would be better more times by 10x time where I needed more power, example where I have a 3.5x10 I would be better served with a 2.5x8 and my 4.5x14 should be 3.5x10.
Quality of Optics all will take you to legal shooting time ! I use to hunt a lot at night year‘s ago with a Weaver 3x9 40mm scope with Micro Track and it held Zero for years on end ! It brightness was more than adequate and it was made in the late 1970’s or early 1980’s.
Today’s Scopes are very good ! You really don’t need high end scopes but don’t buy the cheapest either for a hunting scope for 99 percent of what needs done.

Last edited:
I agree with that.
My scopes have not always been the highest end make and models, but have been upgraded over the years as income levels and life's circumstances have changed and/or allowed. And paired to perform at the levels that are sensible to the rifle and cartridge that they are mounted on, for the hunting conditions they will be used in.

Yes, I have some better and/or higher end magnification scopes on some of my rifles now, but I still have those lower magnification scopes too. For example my 3 Model 88 rifles (250 Savage, 7mm-08 and 338 Federal) all wear VX-3 2.5-8x36 B&C scopes and work very well. These are quality scopes that perform very well, but definitely are not at the highest end of optics available on the market. The important fact is that they make sense for me on the rifles they are on!

The fact that they are still very good and affordable glass that will perform very well under the conditions that these rifles will be used for is what matters, and they will working very well for many years after these rifles have been handed down to future generations of hunters. And should there ever be an issue, the lifetime warranty will take care of that. How can anyone argue against that?

Not every rifle needs to be a Blaser or be equipped with a Swarovski Z8i; not that there is anything wrong with that.
For most of us, a good rifle from one of the more common makers, equipped with a decent scope that provides good optical quality under hunting conditions will provide all the performance we need at an affordable budgetary level. Buy what you like and can afford. If, or when you can afford an upgrade, do it. If this is not your priority, or you cannot afford it, don't worry about it or be shameful that it isn't the best or most expensive on the market. That it works and meets your needs is enough. No bear, deer, elk or moose will ever know the difference!

Just found this and am reading as I have two Leupold VXIIs 3x9 40m on Mod 70 30-06 and a Browning BLR .308. I am planning to replace the Leuppld VXII 2x7 on another Mod 70 30-06 with something in the 6x20 range. Not sure which to pull the purchase pin on yet.
Let me know when you want to replace the VX-2. If I can, I will make you an offer....unless you already have plans for it.;) CL

check out the Arken SH4J 6x24x50 318.00 bucks delivered from Amazon, watch the tracking video on the amazon page. also a youtube video on a comparison with some other higher priced scopes

check out the Arken SH4J 6x24x50 318.00 bucks delivered from Amazon, watch the tracking video on the amazon page. also a youtube video on a comparison with some other higher priced scopes
I have the 6-24 ELP-4 on my 375 Wby and so far no complaints. The glass is exceptional for the price and is holding up fine.

I've bought, sold, traded and used numerous scopes from different manufacture's over the years and have never that i can recall had a really bad experience with any of them. I currently have a Leupold VX5 on my Rem 700 CDL 25.06 which is my hunting rifle. Have the same scope on my daughter's .260 Rem 700. I put a Nikon M308 on a Rem LTR .308 that i punch paper with and that's the only scope that i really do any dialing with and to date it's worked well. Have another fixed Nikon on a Winchester 22lr and a Vortex Diamondback on a Marlin 22mag. I still have a couple of the older model Tasco world class in the safe along with an older Redfield. Fortunately, I've never had any issues with any of them but then again like a said I don't do much dialing just set it and shoot it.

Last edited:
Back