Rimfires for coyotes?

G

Is anybody shooting 22WMR or 17HMR for coyotes? My brother has a bull-barreled Marlin 22WMR that is a tack driver, and I have considered a 17HMR for fun (and for my son, age 6, to shoot). Are these adequate for coyotes? How long a shot could we take with them?

Rimfires are really not the best choice for coyotes. Here in MI as well as other states, only rimfire and shotguns are allowed at night. Centerfire rifles are legal during daylight hours only.

Having said that, Coyotes are killed every year with rimfires. The 22 Mag would be a better choice over the 17HMR because of the larger caliber and heavier weight bullets available. I would try to keep shots as close as possible, say 75 yds and under. More than likely, you will have runners.
If you can, use a centerfire. I love using my 22-250 with 50 gr BT's on coyotes. :grin:

JD338

I agree if you have to use a rimfire rifle then the .22 WMR will be better for coyotes. I'd use the 50 grain bullets if that is what I'm going after. I have used 30 grain bullets but that is only when an unexpected opportuinity for a coyote has turned up. I love my .22 WMR rifles but they are better for colony varmints than coyote.

I prefer to use my .223 and .243 for coyotes, they just do the job better than rimfires.

I've never had a problem flattening a coyote with a 22 magnum. They work real good for coons too. Keep the shots under 100 yards, and they are quite efficient. Something a little larger would definately be better. I found that my 22 hornet was the real answer. No pelt damage.

REDGREEN":215f1frw said:
I found that my 22 hornet was the real answer. No pelt damage.

If MI ever allows centerfire rifles for night hunting, it will be a 22 Hornet.

JD338

I have them all and I do not trust any of them to harvest coyotes consistently.

POP is right about that, I have a 17 HMR and a Hornet when I hunt for dogs they stay home and use my 25 06 with 85 bts no such thing as to far with that combo

buckfever":37le5c2y said:
POP is right about that, I have a 17 HMR and a Hornet when I hunt for dogs they stay home and use my 25 06 with 85 bts no such thing as to far with that combo

I agree, thats why I use my 22-250 and in the past my 257 Roberts.
And I have had runners with both calibers!
I live in a fast growing area so my thoughts on using a 22 Hornet at night (if centerfire rifles were to become legal here in MI) would be keeping the noise down for those 50 -75 yd shots.

JD338

Hell, if you dont hit them good with any caliber, you'll have runners. I've had it happen with a 300 RUM/200g AB's...Coyotes are tough SOB"s, thats for sure...

I prefer a 25-06/85g NBT for an all around coyote rifle. Shoots fast, flat, accurate, and hit plenty hard to however far you can probly hit them...

Rimfires for coyotes,?? maybe a .22 mag from about 75 yards and in would work, OK, but I wouldn't count on it 100%...I WOULD NOT shoot at coyotes with a .17 HMR, thats for sure..Keep that for squirrels and birds..

Yup. For night hunting I use a 12 ga 3" or 3.5" Mag with Dead Coyote, deadly out to 50 yds. Had a few hang up on me this past winter at around 75 yds. Just too far for a shotgun and I don't use a rimfire.

JD338

my friend had a 17 and shot a couple coyotes with it, the only clean kill he got was with a shot to the head, he shot one right behind the shoulder and it ran forever. And when we see them they are never under a hundred yards, I shot one with my 308 and 110gr v-max at 225 yrds right behind the shoulder and it still ran abut 25 yards. My friend sold that 17 for a 223 and never looked back!

I have a marlin 925 in .22 mag and it decimates foxes with 30 grain maxi mags. no kills on coyotes yet, although out to 100 yards i'm positive it would do the trick.

hopwoodt":aunaa32j said:
I have a marlin 925 in .22 mag and it decimates foxes with 30 grain maxi mags. no kills on coyotes yet, although out to 100 yards i'm positive it would do the trick.

For coyotes, use a heavier bullet. I think W-W makes a 50 gr bullet.

JD338

Ive had a true 17 Rem 700 for years now. Fun awesome round to shoot, but one that also stays in the safe when hunting yotes. My 22-250 comes out as JD mentioned.
I have not tried any of the newer bullets on the market for the 17, but experienced too many run aways. Bullet too fast, in and out without much damage.... I'm sure the rim-fires would be different results, but if you want to recover them... go larger.

coyote hunting in Tenn will find different than out west in wide open sage country for sure. A 3" dead coyote or steel BB's through a tight choke will knock um dead for sure, longer in your area .223 would be a good bet you can get ammo cheap and will kill coyotes for you nicely, recoil is very low. 2 people calling have the man out front of the sound with a 12 ga and the caller off to the side packing the rifle, most will get a 50-50 shooting scenario. Play the wind and have your man out front 30-50 yrds offset and watching the down wind hook of the rifle guy

Out west 300-500 yrd shots I want my 22-250 on stiller days and windy days 25-06. In cedar draws I pack the shotgun and dead coyote and find a nice clearing and hang back of my e caller 25 yrds or so and down wind.

JD338 I don't know if winchester makes a 50 grain or not. federal sales a 50 grain hollow point which I have yet to try this far. Any experience with the 50 grainers would be appreciated.

hopwoodt":3om5ge53 said:
JD338 I don't know if winchester makes a 50 grain or not. federal sales a 50 grain hollow point which I have yet to try this far. Any experience with the 50 grainers would be appreciated.

I stand corrected, Federal offers the 50 gr bullet in the 22 Mag.
http://www.federalpremium.com/ballistic ... arm=3&s1=1

I do not have a 22 Mag. My only experience is with a 50 gr BT from my 22-250 Rem. It is very effective on coyotes, leaving a nickle size exit through the ribs.

JD338

I fell into a trap purchasing a 17HMR rimfire for shooting coyotes. The gun shop I purchased it from said it would kill them dead out to 200 yards. This is so far from the truth. My first outing I had with the gun I had a coyote 75 yards broadside and I put one right behind the shoulder. Lets just say I tracked it for probably 400 yards before the blood stopped. I had a similar shot at one at 110 yards with the same results. My personal opinion is they are nothing more then a small rodent killer. I sold the rifle 1 week after purchasing it and bought a Savage 22-250. Results were much more to my liking.

lakesidefoxfarm":bqw6ft4d said:
I fell into a trap purchasing a 17HMR rimfire for shooting coyotes. The gun shop I purchased it from said it would kill them dead out to 200 yards. This is so far from the truth. My first outing I had with the gun I had a coyote 75 yards broadside and I put one right behind the shoulder. Lets just say I tracked it for probably 400 yards before the blood stopped. I had a similar shot at one at 110 yards with the same results. My personal opinion is they are nothing more then a small rodent killer. I sold the rifle 1 week after purchasing it and bought a Savage 22-250. Results were much more to my liking.

Now thats what I'm talking about! :twisted:

JD338

My brother lives in coyote territory (Burns, Oregon). He keeps a .17 HMR in his rig when his is feeding cattle and moving hay. He has not had a dog get away yet. I believe his count is up to eight.

If he was out on a dedicated coyoe hunt, he would take his 22-250. However, the .17 has not let him down on the 200 yds. and in shots.

Back