RL22

Should we place bets when an 8 lb jug of powder sales for a $1000. I am not talking about resell market on gun broker but actual retail prices I am seeing places already pushing close to $600 for 8lb jugs now.

Powder Valley has RL-22 1lber in stock right now. My price to my door is $75.50 per pound. Yikes!

I am going to go to a Gun show at the WV Fairgrounds next week, I wonder what prices will look like there ?

Reloader 22 gives a marked improvement in velocity running 180s out of my 06. Accuracy is also very good. I don’t get the velocity but I get equal accuracy running H4350 and some others. That being said I tend to run the 300 HH or the 338 when I need an 06 and 180s, so I won‘t be buying any Alliant 22. Can’t find any other reason that powder has gone up nearly twice the rate of inflation, hoarding and or panic buying supplemented with legitimate need to load a couple boxes for fall will keep powder high until the demand side says enough is enough.
Seems to me a 180 at standard velocity generated by the likes of H4350 has always worked quite well on anything from moose on down. Doing the math around here we’re seeing 4350 at about 51.00 adjusted to pre pandemic it should be in the 45 to 47 dollar range. I’m not getting gouged too bad for H4350.

RL22 is my go to powder for the 280AI. It also shines in the 338RUM with 200/210 gr loads and the 30 Nosler with 180's.
It's funny how RL22 was bashed on the Internet for being temp unstable and inconsistent yet demand is so high, even with outrageous prices.

JD338

My LGS is supposed to get some 19 and 22 next week. They told me when it's on the shelf it will be almost $70 per pound. I don't use a lot of either so I'm not affected much.

I would love to know the REAL reason why Alliant has been so scarce for so long and their prices have almost reached the moon.

Ron

I just can’t do it, at least to make up big game hunting rounds. Considering my longest shot is going to be 250 and under, I’ll be happy with a substitute powder that gives acceptable accuracy and velocity, acceptable being 1.5 MOA. I like to see bug hole groups, but not if it means busting the budget to get there. There’s almost always a powder that’ll get me where I need be and be pocket friendly. I’ve been showing a lot of love to Ramshot lately, and can usually get well under my 1.5 MOA standard. For varmint rounds in small volume cases I will step up to the expensive stuff if needed to get the smallest group possible. But I always give the cheaper powders a go first.

RL-22 used to be my powder of choice for the 6mm Rem and the 7mm Rem Mag.

I think I've got about a quarter of a pound left. Maybe I could hold off a month an sell it, then become rich! ;) Capital Gains Taxes would probably eat me alive though...

Ramshot Hunter replaced it in the 6mm Rem, with equal accuracy and better velocity.

IMR 8133 replaced it in the 7mm Rem mag with excellent results. That too has been discontinued. Phooey.

I've got my choice of several other good, slow-burning powders that should keep the 7mm Rem Mag happy. Don't need any $70/pound powder here... Not yet anyway.

Guy

At what point does the justification for paying $70 per pound for powder reside solely in our own minds? I have many powders that will push a Ballistic Tip to the point of completely coming apart on game, and they don’t cost $70 per pound. They also provide moa or in most cases better accuracy in the particular cartridge.
Just food for thought. If I can send a Partition into game accurately at 3200 fps, is 3325 fps for an extra $30 per pound going to make any difference anywhere but between my ears?

At what point does the justification for paying $70 per pound for powder reside solely in our own minds? I have many powders that will push a Ballistic Tip to the point of completely coming apart on game, and they don’t cost $70 per pound. They also provide moa or in most cases better accuracy in the particular cartridge.
Just food for thought. If I can send a Partition into game accurately at 3200 fps, is 3325 fps for an extra $30 per pound going to make any difference anywhere but between my ears?
It can certainly make a difference in your pocketbook!:mad:

It can certainly make a difference in your pocketbook!:mad:
Yes sir it can at that.

Edit: I wasn’t intending to minimize anyone’s views. I was mostly asking how much that little bit of extra speed is worth in dollars. Especially when anything other than a mono or Partition usually comes apart at 3100 fps or higher.

Last edited:
I am going to go to a Gun show at the WV Fairgrounds next week, I wonder what prices will look like there ?
Went to the one there last fall and wasn't much in the way of reloading components. Did pick up a lb. of RL15 for 50.00 Hopefully there will be some more good deals this time. Not holding my breath though. Dan.

Joe I'm thinking along your thought as well. RL22 does great in the Tikka 6.5xx55 I bought last summer but there are other alternatives that are cheaper. Dan.

I had 8 lbs of IMR 4895 and 8 lbs IMR 4831 gifted to me. Had that not had happened my days of using those powders would have been all but over. I will not pay that price. Those manufacturers that have powder at the 70-75 dollar price point can eat it as far as I'm concerned

I hope its not the new norm but fear it may be...

I saw new batch if 4831 SC Saturday 71$....

Just bought Lever Evo and CFE223 <40$ ea.

CW

I don't know if it's true or not, but I had one LGS guy tell me recently that Alliant has a huge govt contract going right now, and they are making very little powder for the civilian market. He said there isn't very much that they can even order from their suppliers. And as we all know, low supply = high prices.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I had one LGS guy tell me recently that Alliant has a huge govt contract going right now, and they are making very little powder for the civilian market. He said there isn't very much that they can even order from their suppliers. And as we all know, low supply = high prices.
Is Reloader 15 still the 7.62 military powder?

Back