Rossi m92 45 colt

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I happened on a smoking deal on a Rossi m92 today in 45 colt. Three bears in Palmer, Ak had one on sale.I just couldn't pass up at $339 NIB. I would have preferred 44 but at that price can't complain. I have heard pretty favorable reviews on these little rifles and it's definitely light and handy! Weighing in under 5 pounds and very short. It should be at home on the front of a 4 wheeler. If nothing else the kids should enjoy banging the gong with light loads.

I already have dies and some 300gr hard cast left over from a ruger super RedHawks I owned, hopefully it will feed them.

I ordered one of skinners peep sights for it. Only other thing I would change is that ugly safety on the bolt. I'm sure somebody has figured out a way to get rid of that abomination.

Any of you guys have any experience with the Rosie 92s?

b3d7c1a244dccc1c75aaa9e49812f3a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No experience, but they are handsome little rifles. Looks as if you got a good deal.

Yes I do. Go to http://www.stevesgunz.com, he tricks them out for the Cowboy Action guys, he lives in Texas down around Port Arthur. He has the parts ( good prices too) you want and a DVD you can watch and do the smoothing, etc yourself. Mine shot Buffalo Bores 325 hardcast fine and of course the 250XTP. My hog hunt fell through and I got a good price offered for it so off it went. ( I'm sorry, I'm not flaky, but I don't like to accumulate, life is too short, ha) They can handle as hot a load as you can hang onto! It can be a Baby 45-70 or a sweety, they are nice.

Thanks preacher! I went to his sight and ordered a follower and sight hole plug. I wish I had got his peep rather than the skinner. It sure is a neat little rifle.

You are most welcome uncle bear! I read a lot of Paco kellys writings on the Mod 92 in the 45 Colt and he sold me on it. I had previously had a Marlin 1894 Cowboy ( traded it for a Hawkeye in .257 Roberts which was a lemon) so I liked the 45 Colt in a rifle. When properly loaded you end up with a modern equivalent of the old black powder 45-90 Express load easily. I'm sure many 45-60s, 45-70s and 45-90s were used in your neck of the woods! Have a ball. :)

I got the skinner sight today. A massive improvement over the buckhorn sights. I picked up some cowboy loads to play with. Both of my kids have claimed it for themselves! I might have to pick up another one. Maybe one of the stainless in 454 Cassul for myself!

46df5f5d5d4c56fb10bb09af2d3d8f0e.jpg

f882d271842cfe2fc38e468af1f5281c.jpg

Bear,

Nice rifle at a smokin' price! The Skinner sight looks great.
As already mentioned, you can load up the 45 LC and be darn close to the 44 Rem Mag in performance.
A 454 Casull would be the ticket, especially if you could shoot 45 LC out of it.

JD338

If I could find a stainless 44 mag or 454 and paired with a peep like the skinner I think it would be an excellent knock around rifle. Should fit well on the front of a 4 wheeler, and hold up to the alaskan wet weather quite well. Running a 454 with a heavy hard cast at 1800+FPS would make good medicine for big and toothy’s out to 100-150 yards.

58fab43dae4f193213fac1280abf6236.jpg

Got out to shoot the Rossi today. What a fun little gun to shoot! With cowboy action loads it had no recoil. Even the "heavy" loads with 335gr WFNGC @ 1520fps were easy on the shoulder and this 7 shot 2.5" groups is about as good as I'm able to do with ghost rings. The short sight radius doesn't seem to be a problem.

I've got one of these with the large loop lever. You've got all the good dope on these rifles already. Nate (Stevesgunz) is the guru on these. Mine wouldn't feed the long heavy WFN bullets initially but wasn't hard to correct. Don't want to get into a debate about 44 vs 45 but the 45 will do anything the 44 will do if you handload.
I don't know that the 454 version gets you that much for the premium you will likely pay if you can find one. A little more range perhaps assuming you could use it with the available sights. (I shoot 454 in handguns btw) I guess if you preferred the stainless that would be the way to go but I prefer the blue myself and am not a fan of the buttpad that comes on the 454s. A WFN 300gr cast slug with an impact velocity 1000-1200fps will penetrate & kill about anything on the planet. The only real problem with mine is I run out of ammo before I run out of fun.

The problem with blued rifles in alaska is that you almost need a scuba tank most of august up here and it will do bad things to bluded steel in a hurry. I have found a few of the 454’s in the 630-650 range. Besides more is always better right?

Thebear_78":303tqslq said:
58fab43dae4f193213fac1280abf6236.jpg

Got out to shoot the Rossi today. What a fun little gun to shoot! With cowboy action loads it had no recoil. Even the "heavy" loads with 335gr WFNGC @ 1520fps were easy on the shoulder and this 7 shot 2.5" groups is about as good as I'm able to do with ghost rings. The short sight radius doesn't seem to be a problem.

What range?

I'll reiterate Fotis' question... What range for that group? Stainless by itself won't prevent corrosion issues and not all stainless is created equal. I have no idea how Rossi's stainless would fare in that environment. I CAN tell you the stocks are not ready for that environment out of the box regardless. It is a thin spray on finish on the outside and any finish on the inside is circumstantial. A half day of rain in the eastern US deer woods and you'll likely have some grain lifted.

That was off sandbags at 100 yards. It did pretty good with those heavy cast loads.

Using those sights I just had to center up the bead on the paper. I wasn't really able to aim very precisely. Surprisingly I've found you can still do pretty good with ghost rings by centering a large target.

The cowboy action stuff wasn't nearly as accurate, 6-7" groups with 250gr RN LEAD at 100. It was pretty much all over the paper. Both loads hit to similar POI at 25 yards, with the heavier load sighted in at top of the bead, the cowboy loads printing a couple inches higher.

Looks like I missed that bag of bullets. But was a good buy, thanks for the tip though.

I think with the heavier cast load this should make for a good berry picking rifle for my wife. It's light and easy to shoot.

Impressive groups! I wouldn't worry a bit carrying that into the woods. You got me wanting one now!

Back