Rough quality comparison between Browning, Rem/Win etc.

PipesMac

Beginner
Nov 30, 2013
I've always been a Browning fan, mostly due to being introduced to them young by enthusiastic family. I like the A Bolt I have, safety position, 60 deg bolt, fit/finish, accuracy. But I'm aware I'm a "fan" and don't have a basis for comparison with other manufacturers.

However I notice when reading threads about builds, Rem700 and Winchester70 actions are always mentioned, but I never see Browning. While I in NO WAY want to know folks opinions on Remington 700 Vs. Winchester 70 (!! ;) ), I would like some of your thoughts on how Browning stacks up, why is it never listed as something folks are looking for?. Bolt actions only. ALSO, I had thought the X Bolt was an improvment on the A Bolt, but have recently read it was a cheaper to produce version... so, any thoughts on A Bolt vs. A Bolt II, III, and the X Bolt?

Thanks much! (And if anyone feels compelled to compare Savage, Tikka, etc. feel free).

The Browning X-Bolt is a fine rifle, and I've certainly shot a number of them. Interestingly, I've only seen a few builds on Browning actions. It is less that the Browning fails somehow in comparison to Winchester and/or Remington; rather it appears to have more to do with initial cost. After market accoutrements are more commonly available for Winchester and/or Remington. Gun smiths prefer working on Remingtons, especially, and Winchesters because they are relatively easy to blueprint. Then, there is the issue of general availability. There are simply more Remingtons produced and sold, followed by Winchester. Still, there should be no knocks on Browning quality. Tikka has an excellent reputation for quality, and I have witnessed more builds on Tikka/Sako than on Brownings. This is likely due to preference for the quality of the action. Savage has for years been considered the ugly ducking of the rifle trade. They are one of the most accurate rifles out of the box. However, you will often hear people disparage Savage, saying that they are ugly. When pressed, those who consider the rifle ugly often point to the barrel nut, the very thing that ensures a reasonable cost for a very accurate rifle. Savage has gained grudging admiration from many detractors by simply providing a quality product that shoots exceptionally well. Really, among the five rifles named, there are no dogs. Remington quality has deteriorated noticeably in recent years due to changes in the manufacturing after Remington sold out to Cerberus Capital Management. This does not mean you can't find some excellent rifles that shoot very well; it simply means that the quality that would have been taken for granted ten years ago may not be present in a given production lot today.

I own one current Remington.
It's on the sale block and I doubt I'll own another. With that said, all the other brands seem to produce a decent rifle at a modest price. Most of us have a certain rifle brand that, for whatever reason, calls to us as our rifle. For me that's Winchester. For others it's Remington. For you it seems to be Browning. Nothing wrong with a Browning it just doesn't call to me so to speak.
Sometimes we may have a rifle, shotgun, or even handgun that isn't what we think of as the rifle that "calls" to us but have it for a reason or purpose in that it may fill a niche that our respective one doesn't. Case in point, I'm a 1911/P35 guy and carry a SIG P226. For now the 1911's and Hi Powers are safe queens but while I may carry a Sig I'm not a Sig guy.
If the Browning calls to you go get it. Make it yours and shoot it like you own it. :)

Vince

I thought Browning made boots?????

All kidding aside, the ones I have seen and touched seem to be very well made, shot well, and the owners were very happy with them. I have not heard anything bad or derogatory about them, (unlike the new Remingtons). Vince and Dr. Mike have it well covered.

...these are shots 8-15 outta the box .25 WSSM A-Bolt Varmint Stalker...

...8-20 w/ a outta the box 6.5 Creedmoor A-Bolt Long Range Hunter...

...my "old" Stainless Stalker still shoots that good, so personally, I like the A-Bolts, I like the stocks, I like the crisp, clean triggers, the short bolt throw, the fit & finish. The only thing I don't like about the X-Bolts is how easy the mag release is & where it's positioned. Wish they would put a fix like the Sakos have. One of the reasons I've heard from gunsmiths about not liking to build on a Browning is the extreme tight fit of the barrels...

...playing w/ em @ the gunshop & the range...

...Savages have always been ugly, sloppy, good shooters, & a good value. Now that they're priced along w/ Remingtons, Winchesters, & Brownings, they still shoot good, but don't look as much of a value...

...the new (SC) Winchesters are pretty impressive, fit, finish, features, & accuracy all rolled into a nice classic package. The 3 "cheap" Mod 70's I've got all shoot MOA or better...

...the new Remingtons, well, you can buy a lot mobetta gun for your money from most of the better manufacturers (sorry, but I call 'em like I see 'em)...

...Tikkas are a very good value, nuthin real fancy about 'em, but the fit & finish is very good, the actions are just plain slick, some nice features you'ld expect to pay quite a bit more for, & they tend to shoot well under their guaranteed MOA...

...the Weatherby Vanguards are another good buy, they're a bit on the heavy side & the prices keep increasing...

...haven't got to shoot any of the new Rugers, they're put together pretty nicely, tho...

I've never seen a build on an A-Bolt action. I just think there are more builds on Remington and Winchester actions just because they are more of them out there.

It also may be that many smiths just don't like working on new or different things. They have a set of skills and tooling built around a Remington or a Winchester because that's been the bulk of their business.

I've never seen a custom build on a Stery SBS 96 or a Blaser R93 and they're an excellent action so I don't think low quality is the root of it.

hodgeman":3tldwz3i said:
I've never seen a build on an A-Bolt action. I just think there are more builds on Remington and Winchester actions just because they are more of them out there.

I think it has to do with how Browning attaches their barrels to the action. They're not really designed to be removed. Why mess with something difficult?

I have seen some builds off of the A bolt action, they can be made into an excellent custom gun IMO.

I have owned three A-Bolt II's, made in the 1990's. They all shot MOA or better to 300 yards. I do not own any Browning's presently but my son and grandson have two of mine and like them a lot. I did not like the trigger of the A-Bolt II, it could not be easily adjusted for creep and everyone of them that I shot had creep in the trigger. For $1000+, I also did not care for the A-Bolt magazine design, nor the wood stock quality compared to a Winchester Super Grade for the same price.

I own (2) Model 70's, (2) Mauser's, (1) Sako 85 and (1) Number One Ruger. IMHO, there is no reason to change!

Nothing wrong with Browning. Never had a bad one!

After seeing the results I see from Gene's rifles, I would be a bit scared of a Browning at all. My Dad had a Browning Stainless Stalker 300WSM for awhile. Not sure what the deal with it was, but is was viscous on recoil. Probably could have been the pad on the rifle, but it was plenty accurate.

Scotty, I had a .300 WSM Browning A-Bolt II, it kicked because of the weight (minus 1/2 pound from Mod 70) and the stock shape. My son has my .300 WSM now but I do think that he is afraid of it and my handloads sent with the rifle, were smoking!

Oldtrader3":31ws3ac2 said:
Scotty, I had a .300 WSM Browning A-Bolt II, it kicked because of the weight (minus 1/2 pound from Mod 70) and the stock shape. My son has my .300 WSM now but I do think that he is afraid of it and my handloads sent with the rifle, were smoking!

Yeah, it was a little jumpy. My little Model 70 Featherweight, even when running 180's at 3000 and 200's at 2900 weren't bad at all, but man, Federal 180PT's in that Browning were crazy.

Dr. Vette":3ojo71nd said:
hodgeman":3ojo71nd said:

I think it has to do with how Browning attaches their barrels to the action. They're not really designed to be removed. Why mess with something difficult?

This is correct, Browning uses a threadlocker that requires high heat to remove in the way they attach the barrels. You can get them apart with a really slow heating, but if you don't do it right you'll crack the receiver.

With Rem and few others your not restricted to a box magazine you can buy extended magazine and Rem unlimited after market items from triggers to bolts. I know some gunsmith my area metric threads on Browning cause some problems few years back.

I think if you could get same part as the Rem you see more build using Browning.

I have experience with two X-Bolts, my own in 7mm-08 and a co-worker's in 270 WSM. The workmanship on both was excellent. My 7mm-08 will shoot MOA with Win factory ammo and properly tuned reloads. My co-worker's 270 WSM shoots MOA with Nosler factory loads and reloads. I never got around to trying Nosler factory loads in my 7mm-08.

I love their flush mounted rotary magazines and their four screw base/rings.

I would not hesitate to buy another one if I found a left-handed one.

Back