Torn between two rifles!

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
I'm looking at a couple of rifles but for different reasons. One is a custom .250 Savage and the other is a new Ruger AW in .358 Win.

Rifle 1
250 Savage on a blue printed Mini Mauser action with custom bottom metal, bolt stop and magazine altered to better feed cartridge. Pac Nor #1 contour 10T High Tech stock painted tan with black and brown webbing. $1500 Shipped without scope.

2501_1.jpg

2502.jpg

2503.jpg

I got to hold this rifle the other day and it is pretty spendy but I think the owner would cut me a better deal if I ask. It feels amazingly light and petite to me, but it points well and shoulders easily. This rifle wouldn't be for my use but my 9 soon to be 10 year old daughter. This is a nice light rifle with a 13.5 LOP which is a little long for her but she'll grow into it fast I thing since she is fast approaching 5'3". My daughter says right now she wants to hunt, and I'm taking her on her first deer hunt in November in OK and she'll be using a .223 with 55 grain Barnes TTSX bullets, however when she is old enough to hunt Colorado she will not be able to use the .223 anymore. She is recoil sensitive and can't handle anything larger than the .223 or my 6x47 right now but I'm sure when she is 12 she would be able to handle the .250 Savage or more powerful. My only concern is that this rifle will never have ammunition available for her to walk into a store and pick up off the shelf when she leaves home and doesn't have dad to reload for her.

Rifle 2

Just a plain old Ruger M77 All Weather in .358 Win. My local FFL can get me one in much cheaper than the link, but I wanted the pic. I've wanted a .358 Win in a bolt action for awhile and thought of building one on a Savage but I can buy the Ruger much cheaper than the Savage especially if I have to buy a SS rifle. I really don't care if it is SS or not but that is the best deal I've found on a new rifle. I've never owne a Ruger except for a singl six and 10/22, but have been impressed by what I've seen for accuracy popping up on the web with the newer Rugers.

I'd like to do both but the money isn't in the budget for both. I don't have to worry about optics as I have both a VX-II 2-7 and 3-9 scope without a home right now. So opics doesn't play into the budget at the moment. So which would you choose?

Is that a 4X Zeiss on the mini-mauser? Good looking set-up in a neat cartridge. The Ruger Hawkeye SS in .358 is a nice rifle too, I've had one for a couple years now. A Georgia hog and big Tn buck have fallen to it thus far. I recently purchased my 3rd Hawkeye all-weather in .35 Whelen and am quite pleased with all three. Just something about a .358, ya know. For me, I'd much rather have a Ruger than a Savage, but that's just me. My .358 wears a 2-7, my .35W a 2.5-8 and my Hawkeye/.338F wears a 1.8-5.5. I'd choose the 2-7x33 VXII.

Your daughter has a couple of years before she grows into a 13.5 inch LOP. However, the 250 Savage would be a great cartridge for her. If you bought the mini-Mauser, I'd recommend putting a youth stock on it, even though you say she is growing toward handling the rifle. On the other hand, the 358 Win is certainly a utilitarian workhorse in most situations. I do see your dilemma, but I'd likely say that your daughter has a year or two before she can truly enjoy her own rifle. Since she can shoot the 223, that gives opportunity to continue training her and maintaining her interest. All that said, I'd likely lean toward the 358 at this time.

:twisted: I'll take the place of Scotty because he is not here right now............

Get them BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the do as I say not as I do department (I have an AW .358 Hawkeye): I would be all over that little .250 Mauser... if ammo availability is really an issue down the road, swap her a .243 for it.

:twisted: I'll take the place of Scotty because he is not here right now............

Good one, Mike. I know Scotty would appreciate the magnanimity you are demonstrating. :mrgreen:

DrMike":1pi49bzo said:

Good one, Mike. I know Scotty would appreciate the magnanimity you are demonstrating. :mrgreen:

You know us Jarheads.....we stick together.... :grin: :grin:

Tnhunter":2kxedviu said:
Is that a 4X Zeiss on the mini-mauser?.....For me, I'd much rather have a Ruger than a Savage, but that's just me.

Yes it is, and I can't talk him out of the scope. I'd rather have a Ruger as well in vs. the Savage. However, I can screw together a Savage in my garage in less than 30 minutes after the last part arrives and be shooting at the range the very same day. I've been dinking around with the Stevens 200 rifles for a few years now, and they have saved me a ton of gunsmithing expenses.

I found another Stevens 200 the other day in .243 for $250 used (haven't bought it yet), I have an A&B 24" .358 Win barrel laying around that I paid $120 for, I'd only need a new SSS Competition trigger and recoil lug for around $140, then I would want a new stock and Boyd's is about the cheapest for $100+, then $30 for a bedding kit. When I break it down like that the Hawkeye comes out about $75 cheaper after shipping and FFL fees. No brainier IMO what to buy, I'll sell the Savage barrel off if I get the Hawkeye and recoupe a little of my money, If I don't I may convert my .243 to it when I shoot the barrel out of it.

DrMike":2kxedviu said:
Your daughter has a couple of years before she grows into a 13.5 inch LOP. However, the 250 Savage would be a great cartridge for her. If you bought the mini-Mauser, I'd recommend putting a youth stock on it, even though you say she is growing toward handling the rifle

I was just going to have the GS that owns the rifle cut down the stock and then I'd save the portion cut of to epoxy back on later. I'd have the stock repainted when it was reattached and he is pretty good at hiding things like that. I haven't seriously talked to him about it yet but I was pretty sure I could get him to do that for the $1500 asking price.

.280 Remington":2kxedviu said:

I'll eventually own one or the other, but I'm leaning toward the .250 since it is a one of a kind rifle. While Ruger has discontinued the .358 Win there are a lot more of them out there. I'm in the process of trying to sell a house in Colorado Springs and move to Lubbock for work. Wife, is a little nervous about the money situation. Our "O'crap" account has kind of been shrinking due to expenses getting the house ready to sell, since I'm living in Lubbock already were having to hire people to do things.

I still haven't touched my (not so secret) secret squirrel account for buying my toys and I have enough to buy both rifles but doing so might the raise the "What the Hell are you doing!" eyebrow. ;) We both agreed before we married I wouldn't ask her about her shoe collection if she didn't ask about the rifles. We also agreed that we wouldn't put ourselves into debt buying our hobby stuff. She knows I'll replenish the "O'crap" account if need be from my not so secret stash of funds but that is money I make from being in the Army Reserves and we don't count that as income it pays for my hobbies and most of our vacation trips.

I agree with you. I like the 250 savage and have thought of owning one myself in the flavor of a Remington 700 classic. What ever your decision it will be the right one.

Bill

The 250 Savage is sweet! That would be my pick.

JD338

[/quote]

I'll eventually own one or the other, but I'm leaning toward the .250 since it is a one of a kind rifle. While Ruger has discontinued the .358 Win there are a lot more of them out there. I'm in the process of trying to sell a house in Colorado Springs and move to Lubbock for work. Wife, is a little nervous about the money situation. Our "O'crap" account has kind of been shrinking due to expenses getting the house ready to sell, since I'm living in Lubbock already were having to hire people to do things.

I still haven't touched my (not so secret) secret squirrel account for buying my toys and I have enough to buy both rifles but doing so might the raise the "What the Hell are you doing!" eyebrow. ;) We both agreed before we married I wouldn't ask her about her shoe collection if she didn't ask about the rifles. We also agreed that we wouldn't put ourselves into debt buying our hobby stuff. She knows I'll replenish the "O'crap" account if need be from my not so secret stash of funds but that is money I make from being in the Army Reserves and we don't count that as income it pays for my hobbies and most of our vacation trips.[/quote]

Now that is funny. Moving to the Hub city! I spent a few years there. You probably already understand why they have towns named Levelland and Plainview. That Mauser is cool but I think you should go for the .358. Those Rugers will shoot. Mine 280 is a 1/4" gun with 140's my 22-250 is a sub .1" gun if I do my part and my brothers .257 Roberts is an easy .5" gun with 120's. Mind these are all factory rifles and have not been bedded. The only work that's been done is on the .280 I lightened the trigger up to more of my liking.

.280 Remington":a3gqrvf3 said:

Mike covered this well for me..

The little 250 is very sweet as well.

Scope appears to be a 4X Diatel from the late 70's or 1980's. They have a rubber cover objective lens bell.

I had a 1st year production Model 70, 3XXX S/N range rifle in .250-3000. Someone had turned the front sight boss off the barrel and cut the stock to mount a side mount receiver sight and ruined the collector value but the barrel was still perfect.

I killed several deer and prairie dogs with that rifle. It was very accurate and very easy to shoot for a small person. I bought it for my wife but she did not want it.

I called Kevin Weaver of Weaver Rifles and told him I'd take the .250 Savage rifle off of his hands. He cut me a good enough deal that if the Rugers are still available end of next month I can probably swing it as well. So I may have both rifles before long!

That will be great if you are able to secure both rifles. The 250 Savage is a fine cartridge; and that rifle looks to be well built. I should think you will be proud to have it.

Well do I have to say it ...GET THE 250 MAN....! :) Seriously, I here what youre saying about the stevens rifles. I had one for a while in 7mm-08 with the intent of making it into a 250. Just didnt get around to it before I decided to trade it for somthing else I wanted. I have an FN 300 comercial action in 250 that I wish some one would have lavished all that attention on. TH

DrMike":30k4pv2q said:
That will be great if you are able to secure both rifles. The 250 Savage is a fine cartridge; and that rifle looks to be well built. I should think you will be proud to have it.

I hope it makes my daughter proud to own it more than anything else. I'll get more satisfaction out of her using it to take some game animals or just enjoying it at the range than I ever would owning it for myself. I have plenty of other rifles this one is all hers.

The .250 Savage will do varmits or deer pretty well. With a bolt action rifle, you can load up 100 grain bullets above to 2900 fps. Great rifle for a starting shooter.

Taylor, I can't see your daughter not liking a rifle like that. Light on the recoil and pretty high on performance for the amount of powder used.. You could always AI it for her in the future if you wanted a little more out of it.

Back