Ruger #1 headspace??

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
Is there any prevailing problem with Ruger #1's headspace. I traded for a 7mm rem in a #1 and got it with 3 boxs of 1x brass. The brass all had a bulge at the case head about halfway around the case. I found this odd, particularly from an action that is thought to be quite strong. So, I loaded a 5 140 Accubonds over 64 grains of IMR 4350 & a Fed 215 in new Nosler custom cases. Granted that is being a bit rammy, loading at 1 below max, but that is the recipe that I most often end up with after a workup and sometimes I rush things.

Fired off 2 of the 5 loads I put togather, no excessive barrel heat, but the same bulge and quite a flat primer. This leaves me a bit concerned about the headspace. However, instead of jumping to conclusions, I have put a coat of Hoppe's 9 BR copper remover in the bore and I'll look for some green patches in a day or two. It is either headspace, or a fouled or improperly broke in barrel. If cleaning it doesn't reduce the pressure at all, I will get a bit more abrasive defouler and really try to clean up the throat area in case it wasn't ever cleaned or broken in properly.

JT.

I have a 6mm Rem. in Ruger#1. It gets quite a pronounced pressure ring about 1 centimeter from the case head. Came to the conclusion that when chamber was reamed they used a reamer that was out of spec and slightly larger than SAAMI specs for 6mm. It is worse with winchester cases....found remington cases don't stretch as much.

You might have got a 7mm with the same problem.

I think alot of Rugers in the 60s and 70's were victim of some crappy barrels.

Some will still shoot MOA and are perfectly fined for hunting rifles.

As stated above you could always re-chamber it....or re-barrel.

The 7rem mag is probably one of the most poorly done cahmberings in any rifle. A sloppy chamber will allow stretching of factory ammo & handloads that are net setup to headspace on the shoulder. Forget the belt, size to headspace on the shoulder & be happy. I have a #1S that was a 7rem mag, shot great, but the belt bugged me so I had Dakota rechamber it to 7mm Dakota. Great round, 3200fps easily w/ 160grNP. It is my goto long range rig.

Check out our website, and you guys will see why you're exeriencing the case "bulge" with belted magnum calibers. This has been a major reloading problem (and very common) ever since belted cases were invented. (It has nothing to do with rifle or reamer quality.)

Our Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die was designed to solve the problem. The top of this die is also a "case width gauge" that shows when extra resizing is needed.

- Innovative

Back