Ruger Hawkeye 243

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Picked up the Ruger Hawkeye All Weather the other day and spent some time cleaning and mounting a Leupold VX-ll 3-9 scope.
1st shot at 25 yards was a bit low and way to the right. Adjusted it, shot again and then moved to 100 yards.
A couple of shots at 100 with a different load at 100 yards got me on paper, but still a bit low and too the right still.
I made another big adjustment and fired my first three for a group.
Ran a bore snake through the barrel between each of the first four shots and then shot the three for the group.
Will try some different loads throughout the day as the barrel cools.
I know you target shooters won't be impressed but I'm satisfied with this and would take this hunting without hesitation if it keeps doing this.
I've read some about trigger issues with the new Ruger trigger.
I found it to be crisp without creep although a bit on the stiff side. Plenty good enough for a deer rifle. Actually better than some of the triggers I've got on Remington and Winchester rifles. The bolt action isn't the smoothest I've used and may take some getting used to.
172aba481e67792556721ee87b97bff3.jpg

5bc558bb9206aad6d9c6348c7577df91.jpg

Very nice. I bet it'll get better with more shots through it. Mine had a pressure point under the forearm. Once I got rid of that it helped it out some as well.

It is minute-of-deer. Too many people forget that if a rifle shoots a six-inch group, it will still take deer at 100 yards. All of us like to see "bug-holes" from our rifles. Your Hawkeye will serve you well, I have no doubt. As Scotty said, it will only get better.

Nice looking rifle.
IMR4350 was my go to powder for 90-100 gr bullets and IMR4895 with the 70 gr pills.

JD338

It surely makes me miss the little 308 Hawkeye I had. It was a good shooter and handy too. Ah well, I imagine I could always find another.

Ruger builds a very solid rifle. I think it will serve you well. Like JD338 in my 6mm Remington IMR4350 was the go-to powder. The 4831 looks like it's working pretty darn well though.

One think I like to do which helps the triggers is to get an Azoom Snap-cap for it and dry fire it A LOT. It's good practice too keeping the sight aligned just when it breaks for you. Just make absolutely certain that it's a snap-cap you chambered and not the real thing.

Nice rifle.

Clip 1 coil off the trigger spring and you will really like the trigger.

My Rugers are free floated and bedded.

Action screw torque

Front - 65 in/lbs
Rear - 50 in/lbs
middle - just barely barely barely snug in the rifle.

The action will smooth up. My .358 Win Hawkeye was rough when I got it. I worked the action quite a bit and then I just took some 600 grit sand paper and smoothed around on the rails. It is very smooth now.

Good looking rifle, I really like my Rugers.

It's a great start.
Congrats on the new rifle. You appear to have a shooter like my Ruger.

DrMike":2u99u1vl said:
It is minute-of-deer. Too many people forget that if a rifle shoots a six-inch group, it will still take deer at 100 yards. All of us like to see "bug-holes" from our rifles. Your Hawkeye will serve you well, I have no doubt. As Scotty said, it will only get better.

So true. My Grampa used to say that if his old .30-06 would keep factory loads in 2-2.5" at 100 yards he had found some decent ammo.

While we can typically expect better results these days, I am typically more than satisfied with 1.5" groups at 100 yards with hunting rifles.

That .243 looks like a sweetie Alderman!

Back