Ruger Hawkeye 9.3x62

It is alot of fun to stretch out the bigger, slower cartridges that most condemn to "woods ranges".

I wanna check out the Power Pro 2000 when I can grab a few lbs of it. Supposed to be really good speed wise with the 9.3 and 35 Whelen.

I need to strap the Magnetospeed to this gun and see what speed I am getting from this load. I kinda guessed at 2600 which worked out decently for the dots, but once I have all fired cases I will check out a quick ladder to see where I am at with 15. Honestly, 50-100 FPS won't bug me too awfully much with this one.

Too busy lately to get on here much and read all the posts but jumped on here quick and had to give a (y) on this one. Great work Scotty. What a hammer.

You keep it up and you're gonna have to hire a maintenance man just to keep the mold wiped off your elk rifles between getting used in the rotation. :lol:

SJB358":h82x2fpf said:
It is alot of fun to stretch out the bigger, slower cartridges that most condemn to "woods ranges".

I wanna check out the Power Pro 2000 when I can grab a few lbs of it. Supposed to be really good speed wise with the 9.3 and 35 Whelen.

I need to strap the Magnetospeed to this gun and see what speed I am getting from this load. I kinda guessed at 2600 which worked out decently for the dots, but once I have all fired cases I will check out a quick ladder to see where I am at with 15. Honestly, 50-100 FPS won't bug me too awfully much with this one.
Nice 9.3x62 man! I have two, but mainly have stuck to the 286 grain loads. You are having better luck than I was with the RL15/250 AB load. I was running 62 gr and getting 2575 fps out of my 22" barrel sauer. I had a few sub moa groups, but the majority were around 1 1/4". Both of mine also have tremendous free bore. If you decide to try the 286's be sure to try big game powder. Ive used John Barnes data in both of mine working up to 65-66 grains for 2500 fps. As far as brass goes I use prvi in one and norma brass in the other. Honestly the prvi has been just as good for me. If u decide to try some factory loads, try the norma 230 ecostrike. Ive had 3 boxes of it, and its just amazing in my sauer. Always happy to see someone try out the old 9.3x62, its become my favorite caliber over the last few years. Can't wait to see some damage pics on whitetail, or elk with that AccuBond [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":cmpn5h28 said:
SJB358":cmpn5h28 said:

Nice 9.3x62 man! I have two, but mainly have stuck to the 286 grain loads. You are having better luck than I was with the RL15/250 AB load. I was running 62 gr and getting 2575 fps out of my 22" barrel sauer. I had a few sub moa groups, but the majority were around 1 1/4". Both of mine also have tremendous free bore. If you decide to try the 286's be sure to try big game powder. Ive used John Barnes data in both of mine working up to 65-66 grains for 2500 fps. As far as brass goes I use prvi in one and norma brass in the other. Honestly the prvi has been just as good for me. If u decide to try some factory loads, try the norma 230 ecostrike. Ive had 3 boxes of it, and its just amazing in my sauer. Always happy to see someone try out the old 9.3x62, its become my favorite caliber over the last few years. Can't wait to see some damage pics on whitetail, or elk with that AccuBond [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

For sure Cleveland. Watching you tear it up with yours is what made me try one out. I need to do some work with the Magnetospeed once I get a chance to load some more ammo for this one. I keep looking for some Power Pro 2000. That stuff is supposed to be really good for the 9.3 but just like everything else today, it is hard to get.

That's looking very good Scotty.
At times I regret having my M70 rebored to 35 Whelen AI ( Not ) I did consider the 9.3 and was close to doing it but the call of the wild cat got me and the 30-06 M70 turned into the 35 Whelen AI which is also a JES product and loves the 200gr ABs and 225gr PTs .
I haven't got around to the 250s and larger bullets for it but I'm very tempted to try with what I see you doing with the heavies.

What is the HO2 cap in your fired cases?

truck driver":1jmtsf1a said:
At times I regret having my M70 rebored to 35 Whelen AI ( Not ) I did consider the 9.3 and was close to doing it but the call of the wild cat got me and the 30-06 M70 turned into the 35 Whelen AI which is also a JES product and loves the 200gr ABs and 225gr PTs .
I haven't got around to the 250s and larger bullets for it but I'm very tempted to try with what I see you doing with the heavies.

No darned clue TD. I haven’t done anything much but load up some RL15 and start firing this rifle. Hoping that I can hook the Magnetospeed to it this weekend and clock some loads.

If I remember I’ll grab some H20 capacities. I’d hazard a guess it’s probably a hair more than an Ackley since it is relatively straight sided with a shorter neck but all else being equal they will all fall outta the same hole I’d bet.

You still need some 250 RN Woodleighs to "switch out" when you step back in the puckerbrush! 320RN too! :) Have a ball pard.

SJB358":2ldo2jil said:
truck driver":2ldo2jil said:

No darned clue TD. I haven’t done anything much but load up some RL15 and start firing this rifle. Hoping that I can hook the Magnetospeed to it this weekend and clock some loads.

If I remember I’ll grab some H20 capacities. I’d hazard a guess it’s probably a hair more than an Ackley since it is relatively straight sided with a shorter neck but all else being equal they will all fall outta the same hole I’d bet.
Maybe not exact but I did some checking and Nosler says H20 cap for the 9.3 is 62.5. The 30-06 is 61.5. They both share the same shoulder 17 degrees. My Ackely has a ton more H2O cap at 76.13grs for fire formed Nosler brass. Remington once fired 35 Whelen brass is 72.77 grs according to my records. Yeah I know that is 10grs more then Nosler data. The 700 Remington the cases where fired in could have had a slightly over size chamber which would have allowed for larger H2O cap.
It might be fun to neck up some 35 Whelen brass to 9.3 and make a dummy round to see if it will chamber. Nosler says the 35 Whelen has a H2O cap of 63.5grs which is slightly more then the 9.3.

I’m no engineer or nothing but visually the 9.3 has quite a bunch more space than the Whelen with a bigger case at the shoulder as well.

Noslers data for capacity comes from having a bullet seated at SAAMI length so that is where the difference comes from. They measure usable space.

I’ve got a bunch of fired Whelen brass from my 700 and 7600 I can measure once I’m home, but I believe I’d eat my shorts if the Whelen bested it in capacity.

But again, it’s unlikely to ever matter since none of them will do anything at any range the other can’t. At least not mine. They’re solid 400 yard elk rifles. Maybe a bit more and man, all three if them do that real well. What one would gain in speed the other makes up for in BC. If the 35’s had a 250 AccuBond like the 9.3‘S .500 BC bullet we’d be in better business. :lol:

I always felt that the 35 Whelen Ackley was a closer comparison to the 9.3x62 than the standard. I really like the 9.3x62 but gotta tell ya, wouldn't hunt w/o first fire-forming the cases! :)

I believe once I can do some dedicated load work I’ll have a great shooting load from this gun.

I shot my last 4 on steel last night at 400. It’s entirely elk worthy right now.

Jim, I agree on cases, I’ll be necking up and creating a false shoulder on the next bunch of brass to get rid of misfires.

The Brown-Whelen and the 9.3x62 would be virtually identical. I have a couple of AI Whelens, but I'm keeping a lookout for an FN or a Husky in 9.3.

5shot":1ypnxhg2 said:
The Brown-Whelen and the 9.3x62 would be virtually identical. I have a couple of AI Whelens, but I'm keeping a lookout for an FN or a Husky in 9.3.

I was kinda thinking that myself 5shot.

358 WCF":6exk0qqb said:
SJB358":6exk0qqb said:
I do wished I would have gotten more of the 250 Accubonds when they were at SPS though. I think they were less than 20 bucks per 50 and seeing how well they shoot I could probably just load and shoot them and be extremely happy. Might try some of the 250 TTSX's though if I get a chance.

You mean these? New message from SPS today.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-9 ... e96e81a100

Got em, thank you 358WCF!

Hard to wanna mess with other bullets when they shoot so well and those AB's are so inexpensive for a premium bullet.

On my first trip to South Africa, '96, I was using a 35 Whelen AI and the old 250X. My Afrikaans friend/hunter and the Afrikaans "Farmer" ( we would call them ranchers) had never heard of it. I told them it was "kind of like their old 9.3x62", big smiles then!

preacher":1dc04hpe said:
On my first trip to South Africa, '96, I was using a 35 Whelen AI and the old 250X. My Afrikaans friend/hunter and the Afrikaans "Farmer" ( we would call them ranchers) had never heard of it. I told them it was "kind of like their old 9.3x62", big smiles then!

Yeah, the two are about like a 270 Win and a 280 Rem, no one will ever convince me one is better than the other at killing animals.

SJB358":7p7sw4v8 said:
preacher":7p7sw4v8 said:

Yeah, the two are about like a 270 Win and a 280 Rem, no one will ever convince me one is better than the other at killing animals.

My thoughts exactly, uncanny how close than comparison is to those. The 9.3x62 has a faster twist, can shoot a heavier bullet on average but is also loaded down a bit just like the 280 Rem. In the end you'll never see a difference in performance between the two.

gerry":3fvotv7u said:
SJB358":3fvotv7u said:
preacher":3fvotv7u said:

My thoughts exactly, uncanny how close than comparison is to those. The 9.3x62 has a faster twist, can shoot a heavier bullet on average but is also loaded down a bit just like the 280 Rem. In the end you'll never see a difference in performance between the two.

I know how well Whelen works, getting a 9.3 was just easy since it was a rebore, but I don't suspect I'll be blown away how a 9.3 does either.

One of these days I am going to put on a 9.5 or 10 twist barrel for a Whelen. Always thought that should be an excellent rifle and I like the extra RPM's myself.

Back