Ruger Hawkeye 9.3x62

jimbires":3m9kwpse said:
you really shoot well with low power scopes .

I am a paradox that consistently battles myself. I like 10-12x on the top end, but on some of my guns I don't want too heavy an optic on them, so a 6X36 works and keeps weight down. I have never seen much problem with hitting animal sized targets up to deer at 600 and since that is about as far as I'd ever take a shot I can be okay with it. My favorite scopes are the Leupold 6X36, NF 2.5x10 and SS 3x9. Those three cover alot of shooting for me. The Leupold is 9-10 ounces while the other two are 19 ounces, so on a lighter rifle they usually get the heavier optics and a heavier rifle gets the lighter 6x. I am just picky I guess.. :lol:

76.1 H20 is what I got from my x62. QL shows 78 grains H20 in the profile. Doesn’t matter too much a couple grains either way.

What really threw me for a loop today was I was thinking by other people’s loads and data that I was in the 2600 FPS realm with my 60 grain charge, well, not even close. My 60 grain charge was around 2400 at best.

I collected a pile of data from the gun today and loaded up a handful of both nodes to see what comes out on paper. Adding 200 FPS will help a touch with my dots but the funny part was I still didn’t have much trouble shooting decently accurate at 400 yards with the 2400 FPS load. I don’t know how the bullet would’ve performed but they would’ve gotten there! :mrgreen:

SJB358":qsryffsb said:

76.1 H20 is what I got from my x62. QL shows 78 grains H20 in the profile. Doesn’t matter too much a couple grains either way.

What really threw me for a loop today was I was thinking by other people’s loads and data that I was in the 2600 FPS realm with my 60 grain charge, well, not even close. My 60 grain charge was around 2400 at best.

I collected a pile of data from the gun today and loaded up a handful of both nodes to see what comes out on paper. Adding 200 FPS will help a touch with my dots but the funny part was I still didn’t have much trouble shooting decently accurate at 400 yards with the 2400 FPS load. I don’t know how the bullet would’ve performed but they would’ve gotten there! :mrgreen:
Just thinking out loud.
So you have the case cap the same as my 35 Whelen AI and I'm thinking maybe some CFE 223 would work similar in it as it does in my 35 AI.
Your getting standard 35 Whelen velocities with R15 and sounds like the same load and bullet weight you use in it. I don't have my notes in front of me at the present but it sure sounds the same.
Is the barrel 22" on the 9.3X62 ?

Oh yeah TD, for sure. A standard Whelen pitching a 250 at 2600 is about top end and the 9.3 does just a hair better due probably to a bit more case and a bigger bore.

I’ve got some PP2000 coming to see what happens with it. If it remains accurate at 2680’ish I believe I’ll be plenty happy. It’s about 280 FPS better than what I was getting when I was crushing steel at 400.

Looks like you got her figured out Scotty.... :grin: . Pretty durn cool. Guess I'm not tough enough to stand behind them big thumpers, but looks seriously cool, and shoots WAY better. Nice work. CL

cloverleaf":3ihwisfm said:
Looks like you got her figured out Scotty.... :grin: . Pretty durn cool. Guess I'm not tough enough to stand behind them big thumpers, but looks seriously cool, and shoots WAY better. Nice work. CL

Bet your 12 gauge kicks a lot more Troy, sure it will have some recoil but it would be less.

gerry":2osycpg9 said:
cloverleaf":2osycpg9 said:

Bet your 12 gauge kicks a lot more Troy, sure it will have some recoil but it would be less.

Yeah, this rifle in the McMillan is a peach to shoot to be honest. Handles recoil real well actually.

Well, I’ve been shooting the 9.3 a little more with the newer loads I worked up. I’m getting a crazy flier that is bugging the tar out of me. I’ve shot it enough now to know it probably isn’t me.

200 yards.

I moved back to 250 and had the same thing.

These are all seated at max mag length so I’m thinking I’ll try them a little shorter. Having two land right on point is cool to see but the 3rd round ends up in left field. I’m not sure which round is getting kicked out either since I’m shooting it longer.

SJB358":2f7lkw2h said:

I believe I stopped at 62.5 gr with RL15 for 2560-2575 with 250 AB. Both my rifles hit 2500 fps easy with 286 gr bullets and big game powder, so i decided i wanted the extra weight instead extra 60 fps lol. I always had some flyers with the 250 AB that I never did get straightened out unfortunately. I really wanna load up some 232 gr norma oryx or Vulcan to try out eventually. And if Norma would ever release that dang 230 gr ecostrike to reloaders I'd be a happy man lol. You have so many nodes in that velocity ladder you could spend a month trying each node haha

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I hear you there. I’m going to try and shorten them up a little and see what happens.

I’m enjoying this one though. It’s a bunch of fun.

SJB358":cp9bw6u7 said:
I hear you there. I’m going to try and shorten them up a little and see what happens.

I’m enjoying this one though. It’s a bunch of fun.
I looked through my notes last night. I originally seated the AB out to almost my magazine length when I started. And I ended up at nosler load data col for my best groups with that bullet. Pretty sure its was at the cannelure basically. I really like that bullet and I need to try some different powders in mine. Really wanted to try varget with the 250's, but it was just impossible for me to find that powder then.

I just scored some PP2000. Supposedly it’s the good stuff in the 35 and 9.3 with heavier bullets.

SJB358":1ffdr02z said:
I just scored some PP2000. Supposedly it’s the good stuff in the 35 and 9.3 with heavier bullets.
I'll be waiting on you to report back lol.

Back