Ruger M77 MKII

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
There seems to be alot of talk and info on the remington 700. It also seems like everyone has a model 700 chambered in something. I have two.
I don't hear alot about the Ruger M77. My dad had a couple of M77's that I learned to pull a trigger with when I was a kid. I remember shooting many clay pidgeons, milk jugs and then the milk jug cap at 200yds with one chambered in 243.
What are your thoughts on the M77 as far as a stock factory rifle goes.

I am far from the most knowledgeble gun nut in this forum, but I will give you my opinion. My brother has a m77 in a 7mm mag. They are a very good rifle that looks stylish, shoots straight and are not overpriced. Their trigger pull leaves somthing to be desired and they don't offer a 26" barrel for the mags. I like their three position safety switch.

Remingtons have been a favorite for custom makers for years, strong, simple tried and true.

I currently have one m77 (tang safety) in 30-06, my father has the same gun in a 243 that I learned to hunt with, and he has a Mark II in 223. They are all good guns and the only problem we've encountered in the 15 years I have been using rugers was a result of overzelous reloading of some 223 shells. Sent the gun to Ruger and they fixed it for free minus shipping. Turned out a piece of the primer had made its way to the trigger assembly or something like that. I also have a friend with a 30-06 that's a twin to mine. He has had that gun for over twenty years with out single problem. He has taken many elk and a couple of trophy mulies with it and thinks it is the best gun ever made. For the price of a Ruger you can't go wrong.

I bought a synthetic-stocked (the old canoe-paddle one), Stainless Steel M77-MkII in .338 WM a decade or more ago for an Elk hunt that never materialized.

I reasoned that since the rifle was for elk, I didn't need it to be terribly accurate (2 MOA would be perfectly acceptable for any distance I'd be shooting at), but what I really did want was something that was dependable, impervious to the elements, and something that I wouldn't cry over if I whacked the stock against some rock somewhere.

For me, price was a huge consideration, and Ruger was cheaper then than anything equivalent -- and the M77 came with scope rings, which was a nice bonus. Plus, I liked its appearance, though I wouldn't have paid a cent for that -- I wanted a tool, pure and simple.

Imagine my delight when I found the thing was a tack-driver. It particularly loves the Hornady 225 gr. Spire points propelled by 73 gr. Reloader 19, which it will shoot into 0.75 MOA all day long. And it's almost as accurate with several other bullets, too.

So I love mine.

great rifles for the money, my 300 win mag shoots 3/4" groups with 200gr partitions. but it took a few hundred rounds to break in the trigger and barrel before it started shooting.

I have one in .270 WSM and like it a lot, found two loads that it really likes and it will shoot both of them under an inch at 100 yards. Only thing I dont like about them is the trigger, its a little stiff for my liking but its a clean break with no creep, and its a little tough to chamber those shortmags, but other than that its a great gun and performs!

I just bought one in 7mm rem mag. It has a figured walnut stock and deep blueing. The trigger is a little stiff but
its a clean break with no creep
. I am currently working up some loads using rl-22 and 160 AB's. I mounted a Zeiss 3x9x40 and so far am pkleased with the combination. I think it will make a great elk gun for one of my boys

Hello i'm new but would like to say,I have a few ruger M77SS a 25.06 280 and M77/22 Hornet. The 25..06 and 280 both have Timmniy triggers and can both shoot 1/2 in. @100 yards with most of my reloads and the hornet is about an 1 in. I think thier great rifles for the money.

Have owned several Rugers over the years. All have been good, sturdy, no nonsense hunting rifles and I don't have a complaint about any of them. The triggers come up really nice with minimal 'smithing work, the 3 position safety is great and the scope mounting system is probably the best of any factory rifle available - it can be used as a QD system simply by changing the mount locking stud to a finger operated type - and it will return to zero every time. I like the blued/walnut version, it fits in with my idea of what a 'classic' hunting rifle should be.

Out of curiosity, how hard is the Ruger trigger to adjust, compared to the Remington? How do they adjust? I have worked Remingtons before, and they are pretty straight forward, but I haven't even had a Ruger apart, so I have no idea what they are like.

Trigger? Easy take apart and hone. Sounds difficult but it is not.

Never had luck with the 77's accuracy wise. :cry:

but a lot of people get very good accuracy with rugers. so i'll guess you just have not found one you like. i really like there build quality and price. compared to so called custom rifles at hundreds or thousands more.

As far as price goes...
My rem 700 adl in 270 with laminated wood stock was $10 or $15 less than the Ruger with a walnut semi figured stock.

I have 2 of the 77MKII NV in 22-250 and 308 both shot less than 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards . I had one 77 MKII in 7mm Remington mag. that shot less than 1 inch at 100 yards, sold it to a friend.

I do know people that had great luck with them but not me. Now #1's on the other hand! They shoot awesome for me. Every single one I had. From 204 to 458 mag. All tackdrivers.

the #1 22-250 i had shot 2" groups with everything i put through it. never better, never worse. turned me sour on #1's

Ruger 77's are awesome rifles. You cannot buy a more high quality & accurate shooting iron for the money. Mine is the All Weather in 280 Remington and it shoots 1/2'' out of the box even WITH its 8# trigger pull.

Can't have too many of them.

I bought a mod 77 back in the 70's that was a good shooter. Most of the ones that I have shot since then have not done so well. My brother has the newest style in stainless & syn. stock, it was simply horrible. He sent it back to Ruger & I don't know if they changed the barrel, bedding or both, but it is a sub 1/2" shooter now. He also sent back a 22mag stainless syn.
that was pathetic & now it also is better than average. It makes me wonder if those who like Rugers should buy a dog & then send it back. :lol:

nomosendero":36m7f14b said:
I bought a mod 77 back in the 70's that was a good shooter. Most of the ones that I have shot since then have not done so well. My brother has the newest style in stainless & syn. stock, it was simply horrible. He sent it back to Ruger & I don't know if they changed the barrel, bedding or both, but it is a sub 1/2" shooter now. He also sent back a 22mag stainless syn.
that was pathetic & now it also is better than average. It makes me wonder if those who like Rugers should buy a dog & then send it back. :lol:

One of the 77's I have would not fire every shot when it was new, we sent it back and ruger put a new fireing pin and spring . Only problem was they also replaced the trigger that had been worked on with a new one that was close to 10pounds .

Back