Ruger M77 MKII

I've reloaded for probly close to 10 ruger 77's from .223 on up through 300 WIn mag and I've never had a problem getting them to shoot at least a 1" group at 100 yards with reloads and a trigger job. For the money, there a pretty good rifle, IMO. Yah the trigger sucks, so what, take it to a gunsmith and have him work it down to 3lbs. If he says he cant do it cuz there a pain in the butt, find a different smith. I worked with the older style with the boat paddle stocks mainly. My only complaint is that they are a tad barrel heavy, throw on a harris bi pod and its ridiculously barrel heavy.

With that said, my first 25-06 was a Ruger 77 mk2, stainless/synthetic with a muzzle brake. It would shoot .5" with several of its favorite handloads. This was the rifle that got me into longer range shooting. I shot the barrel out in 2.5 years, putting 3000 rounds down it before it went south.

As of now, I own zero Rugers. At one time I owned 3, but either sold or traded them for Remingtons. I guess you can say I'm a converted Remington fan! Theres really nothing wrong with Ruger though for the money.

Then again, every company makes a bad apple now and again.

My case in point was buying a Savage in .270 WSM. I read all the talk and hype of how accurate Savages were, despite there ugly looks and cheap ass price tag. My dad and I both bought 270 WSM's. His base holes were crooked as a convict and they never could get it right. After sending it back for the 2nd time and still not fixing the problem, He sold his and got a winchester shadow in 270 wsm and it shot .75" pretty dang easily with 140g SST"s. On the other hand, I put over $200 in load development into my Savage 270 wsm only to have it shoot at best 1.25" groups at 100 yards. That dont cut it for what I want to use it for. Needless to say, I sold it and have never really considered Savage again.

Anyone have this little gem????? If you do, then you have sweet rifle. However, no more 300 WSM`s in the Frontier. Ruger discontinued the WSM`s in the Frontier line!!!...... With my chrono reloads so far, this ballistically exceeds the 30-06; comes very very close to the 300 Win. long mag. w/ the longer barrels!!! And, from a 16.5" barrel??? Well!! How about,,,150gr. @ 3155 fps average....180gr. @ 2945 fps. average w/ no pressure signs....A very accurate, 7lbs. 5oz w/scope, light and easy handling 35.5" great field rifle, for any North American big game!!!! Ruger knew what they were doing on this one!!!!!......Anyone have any reload info to share for this rifle in 300 WSM? May not be too many out there!!!!!.............Big Squeeze!

Back