Ruger No.1

Always wanted an RSI but was weary of accuracy. I have seen a few with issues.
I had a RSI in 30-06 and it was the least finicky and most accurate No.1 I had. It would put three Barnes 150 gr XLC’s consistently in one ragged hole at 100 yards. The load was 53 grains of IMR 4064 I believe. First time I did it I thought I completely missed twice. The other two I owned were very accurate as well. One being a medium sporter in 45-70 where I won the wood lottery and a 1B in 25-06 that was as plain as a telephone pole. I sold/traded them all like a fool.

So the Ruger No.1's in 218 Bee and 257 Roberts have now found new homes...
The funds from the No.1A 257 Roberts is going into the Africa hunt fund in May, and the 218 Bee was traded along with its good supply of ammunition for two other single shots, now new to me. Both in excellent condition.
These incude the following:
1) a 2016 Lipsey's Edition No.1 in 308 Win with pretty wood!
Lipsey's Edition Ruger No.1 RSI 308 Win.jpg
As pictured, I mounted a Gunmetal Gray Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 B&C scope with Alumina scope caps. It weighs less than 1 ounce over 8 lbs as pictured.
I knew that this was a rare offering produced in a limited number, but was surprised to learn that only 110 rifles were produced in this limited production run!

And,
2) a Winchester 1885 High Wall in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 28" octagon barrel.
Winchester 1885 High Wall 6.5 Creedmoor.jpg
As pictured, I have mounted a Kahles 3-9x42 TDS scope on it. It weighs 9 lbs 12 oz as pictured.
That long barrel should produce velocities that will be very close to matching the 6.5 PRC ballistics!
I have always liked the 1885's! This is my first High Wall.
Can't wait for a good day to get out to the range to try these new to me rifles out!

The new owner of the 218 Bee has already mounted a scope on the rifle and taken it out to shoot it, getting 3/4" groups with 5 shots at 100 yards! And he is very happy with his new rifle, that he has been looking for, for a long time! Always good to hear someone is very happy with their new acquisition!

Gil,
Congratulations on the new rifles. The No. 1 308 Win is a sweet rig. What bullet are you going to run in it?

JD338

So the Ruger No.1's in 218 Bee and 257 Roberts have now found new homes...
The funds from the No.1A 257 Roberts is going into the Africa hunt fund in May, and the 218 Bee was traded along with its good supply of ammunition for two other single shots, now new to me. Both in excellent condition.
These incude the following:
1) a 2016 Lipsey's Edition No.1 in 308 Win with pretty wood!
View attachment 22403
As pictured, I mounted a Gunmetal Gray Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 B&C scope with Alumina scope caps. It weighs less than 1 ounce over 8 lbs as pictured.
I knew that this was a rare offering produced in a limited number, but was surprised to learn that only 110 rifles were produced in this limited production run!

And,
2) a Winchester 1885 High Wall in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 28" octagon barrel.
View attachment 22404
As pictured, I have mounted a Kahles 3-9x42 TDS scope on it. It weighs 9 lbs 12 oz as pictured.
That long barrel should produce velocities that will be very close to matching the 6.5 PRC ballistics!
I have always liked the 1885's! This is my first High Wall.
Can't wait for a good day to get out to the range to try these new to me rifles out!

The new owner of the 218 Bee has already mounted a scope on the rifle and taken it out to shoot it, getting 3/4" groups with 5 shots at 100 yards! And he is very happy with his new rifle, that he has been looking for, for a long time! Always good to hear someone is very happy with their new acquisition!
A couple of lovely rifles, Gil.

Thanks!
Thinking on trying the Federal Premium 175 gr Terminal Ascent ammunition in it first...hopefully it will shoot as well as it is in my other rifles.
Honestly, I am still trying to decide if I am going to keep the 308...did the deal as I was wanting the High Wall...and the 308 has such pretty wood! And I have a thing for these full stocked rifles!

I know many people complain about the accuracy of the Ruger #1 being a somewhat iffy thing. Yes that can be a problem if one of so anal that the rifle is no good unless groups are .25" or less. I'll just say I have a few Ruger#1s in various configurations ranging from the .22 Hornet to the .416 Rigby and plenty in between. I hunted mostly deer and elk with a majority of them until 2009 when I started to be able to afford guided hunts that didn't allow single shot rifles. The key word on those hunts was "affordable".

My take on the use of the single shot rifle was, "Get as close as possible, then get ten yards closer". When fighting with a Ruger M77 RSI in .308 Win. many years back it took about two years to find a hand load that would group 1.50" or better for three shots on a consistent basis. I hold my Ruger #1s to that same standard. A 1.50" group is more than sufficient even for antelope at 300 and change yards. I still have my first #1 rifle, "B" model in 30-06 I bought around 1975 IIRC. he best it wold do with factory 180 gr. ammo was 4.0" yet I usually could get close enough to take a deer. Tinkering with hand loads brought groups down to about 3.5" but that was the best it would do. I've never messed with the forearm or done any of the other tricks used to make it shoot better but there have been times I've thought about it.

I have a #1A chambered to the .270 Win. I got for cheap at a gun show. I knew the man selling it and he was straight on the deal saying he couldn't get better than three inches. Well when I got into the gun one of the things he'd done was sand off the pressure pad at the tip of the forearm.On a hunch I cut off a piece of an expired credit card and placed it where the pressure pad used to be, Instant 1.25" on an apparently consistent basis. I left well enough alone

After doing some deep digging with people I know are familiar with the rifles I think people may be going after the #1 accuracy problem in the wrong way. Check the rib the scope rings attach to and note the very little to no clearance of the rib agains the receiver. Remove the screws, caution, EXTREMELY tight, and lift the rib off the barrel. You may hear a slight ping and it pops off the pins. Therein lies the problem.

So, one must slightly remove metal from the tip of the rib that contacts the barrel are reblue the tip. Then the screw hole in the rib need to be enlarged to the next drill size larger, and the same with the pin holes of the rib. Think about it; you shoot the rifle and it's a hot day. The barrel heats up and the rib is screwed and pinned in place The barrel expands and the rifle presses agains the receiver more tightly than when the barrel was cold. The expansion of the barrel with that tighty fastened rib affecting the barrel vibration creating accuracy problems.

It's just something I've been kicking around for some time now and just haven't screwed up enough guts to break down and try it.
Paul B.

According to the guy I traded these rifles with, both are shooters, so we will see.
I have not had any issues with any No.1 I have owned to date, so hope that these prove the same, as indicated.
The only reason I may not keep the 308 is the cartridge...while the 308 is a good cartridge, it is just not one that excites me, and I have always sold or rebarreled the 308's I have owned so far. I will say that this is one that could change that pattern. And if it likes the Terminal Ascent ammo, will greatly enhance this chance of keeping it! (The Federal 308 Terminal Ascent ammo is the least expensive load they offer in this line, which makes it more attractive)
Along with hoped for accuracy with this ammo, I am hoping that it will achieve 2500 fps out of the 20" barrel with that 175 gr bullet.

Had fun with the Winchester 1885 High Wall in 6.5 Creedmoor today!
3 shots to get it sighted in with the Federal Premium 130 gr Terminal Ascent ammo, and then shot a 3 shot group @ 100 yards: 2911 fps and a .599" group! SD of 13.6 fps
Best group out of it today was with the Nosler 140 gr AccuBond ammo; 2826 fps and a .248" group! SD of 5.0 fps :cool:
The other 4 factory loads all were over an inch:
- Hornady 143 gr ELD-X at 2735 fpa produced a 1.147" group. SD of 11.1 SD of 11.1 fps group.
- Winchester 129 gr Power Point at 2941 fps produced a 1.165" group. SD of 13.4 fps
- Nosler 140 gr Ballistic Tip at 2611 fps produced a 1.218" group.SD of 15.0 fps
- Nosler 129 gr LRAB at 2931 fps produced a 2.460". SD of 12.1 fps

Had fun ringing the small gongs at 300 and 400 yards after that with the 130 gr TA ammo. So fun! That Kahles 3-9x42 glass with the TDS reticle sure made it easy! Hold and squeeze = smack!:D
Will have to rezero for the 140 gr AccuBond load, and wait for a hunt this fall! (Although I would be perfectly satisfied to continue to use the TA ammo in it, but have the X Bolt set up for that load...so will use the AB in the High Wall...hard not to when it shoots it this well!)
Such a sweet rifle! May have taken years to finally get one, but the wait was worth it!

Susan spent her time practicing with the 6.5 CM preparing for our upcoming African hunt, shoot from the bags, the sticks, the bipod, and even prone. Will work on this again before we head out on the trip.
I felt good ringing the gong @ 400 yards with the X Bolt off the bipod!

Last edited:
Back