Ruger No.1

With the RSI, I'll take minute of moose/deer/bear/etc. over MOA or better shooting just to enjoy enjoying owning, shooting and hunting with these beautiful little carbines! Sure, I would prefer MOA or better accuracy, but for hunting, as long as I know the rifle's limitations, I'm willing to stick to that with it as a hunting rifle. Kind of like I am doing with my Marlin 338 Marlin Express. Owning and shooting it is a pleasure, even though it isn't a tack driver with factory ammo. (Still have to try handloading for it)

If/When I get a RSI in 6.5x55 and it proves that it doesn't shoot too well, I will try the trick my friend uses for accurizing it, as well as trying to find a load that the rifle prefers, but if it still doesn't shoot MOA or better, I will just accept its limitations and hunt accordingly. With their short barrels, I already know there is going to be a velocity limitation compared to my Sako with its' 24" plus barrel, and keep it for brush hunting, and use the Sako for hunts in more open country. Since the average distance of big game shot over the past 38 years is 137 yards, I believe that I will be set up to win!

I have only owned one No.1 to date, a Lipsey's Edition RSI in 257 Roberts that now belongs to the wife, and is still NIB. She shoots her Lipsey's Edition No. 1 in 250 Savage and has carried it hunting, but has not yet taken game with it.
Would love to get a Lipsey's Edition RSI in 6.5x55 for hunting with. Hope to find one someday. A No.1 in 338 Federal is another on the bucket list. And a 218 Bee... :cool:
A friend has a No.1 in 270 Wby with a 4 digit s/n that he may sell soon...might have to grab it when he finally decides to sell...
Catherine has laid claim to “my” 257 Roberts as well.

With the RSI, I'll take minute of moose/deer/bear/etc. over MOA or better shooting just to enjoy enjoying owning, shooting and hunting with these beautiful little carbines! Sure, I would prefer MOA or better accuracy, but for hunting, as long as I know the rifle's limitations, I'm willing to stick to that with it as a hunting rifle. Kind of like I am doing with my Marlin 338 Marlin Express. Owning and shooting it is a pleasure, even though it isn't a tack driver with factory ammo. (Still have to try handloading for it)

If/When I get a RSI in 6.5x55 and it proves that it doesn't shoot too well, I will try the trick my friend uses for accurizing it, as well as trying to find a load that the rifle prefers, but if it still doesn't shoot MOA or better, I will just accept its limitations and hunt accordingly. With their short barrels, I already know there is going to be a velocity limitation compared to my Sako with its' 24" plus barrel, and keep it for brush hunting, and use the Sako for hunts in more open country. Since the average distance of big game shot over the past 38 years is 137 yards, I believe that I will be set up to win!
I got lucky with mine. It will put 4 rounds of hand loaded 140 BT’s or Partitions under an inch at 100 so I was just tickled with that. Only fired once at an Antelope I took but I’d love to do some more hunting with it. When I went to Africa the 8 animals I took were all under 150 yards And the No 1 7x57 was just the ticket. I prefer to get as close as I can and I passed on several farther shots because I told the PH I wanted to stalk in closer. Besides, it was much more fun playing cat and mouse. I think the little Swede would be right at home on plains game.

Last edited:
I can’t afford one but I surely would buy one and hunt with it if that ever changed. I find them extremely attractive rifles.

Caliber? Well Im pretty boring but probably a .220 Swift, .257 Roberts, 7x57, .30-06 or .45-70 would be most likely my choices. Would consider others if the price was right.

One of my good buddies bought one in 6mm Remington a couple of years back! They are sweet guns!

I can’t afford one but I surely would buy one and hunt with it if that ever changed. I find them extremely attractive rifles.

Caliber? Well Im pretty boring but probably a .220 Swift, .257 Roberts, 7x57, .30-06 or .45-70 would be most likely my choices. Would consider others if the price was right.

One of my good buddies bought one in 6mm Remington a couple of years back! They are sweet guns!
I was fortunate on my first one. I attended an armorers class for the Ruger Mini-14 and received a certificate to buy any Ruger at a significantly reduced price. I chose the .30-06 and I think it was around $550. It was an accurate rifle and I took a Wyoming doe Antelope with it. I was in a local gun store and they had one on consignment on the wall. I asked Gil, the owner what caliber it was. He said it was a 7 x 57. I asked him if he thought the owner would be willing to trade straight across for my .30-06 because I figured that would be an easier gun to get rid of then the 7 x 57. The owner of the gun took the trade and I couldn’t have been more happy. That’s the 7x57 I took to Africa with 160 Accubonds. A few years ago a guy posted a 7x57 for sale with numerous components and a Leupold 1.5-5x20. Total deal I was getting a lot of bang for the Buck, pun intended. He had worked up a load with a 145 grain Speer boat tail. The first trip to the range gave me an absolutely stupid accurate load with that bullet so I stopped right there. I haven’t hunted with that gun yet but I’d like to. I did pay a bit for the 6.5x55 but it was rare and I wanted it, especially with the stock configuration. That little 1-4 German #1 reticle is just a cool scope for that rifle.

I did most of my hunting with Ruger #1 rifles. That stopped when I started doing private ranch elk hunts. Guide told me single shots were not allowed. I took six elk off that place, five with the .35 Whelen and one with the 30-06, all one shot kills. I don't know if I'll ever get to do another elk hunt or even a deer hunt but if I do, I'll use either the #1A 7x57 or one of the #1S in .300 Win. Mag. I have three. Two red pads and one black pad. All are capable of .50" groups. Another in the B configuration would do .375" groups with the old 200 gr. Nosler Partition semi-spitzer which was really more of a round nose bullet. That bullet was a good one and I think IMHO, Nosler never should have dropped that one.
Paul B.

Gentlemen,
You have restored my faith!!!!!
I'm not the only nut that likes to hunt with a classic single shot.

I've got a 1a.243-1V .22-250 and an RSI in .243.
I finally got a load after much testing of different bullets and powder combinations to shoot sub MOA .
I'm using a 65 grain V Max with IMR4064.
This is in the 1a with a Leupold 3HD 2.5X10X 44 scope. The trigger is a factory 3 screw, and it breaks nice.
My intention is to use it for coyotes in NE PA and Southern NJ.
Then I want to find a load with 90 or 95 grain Ballistic Tips for White Tail Deer.

I sincerely appreciate your responses and great pictures to boot! Keep Em Comin!!!!!

Semper Fidelis
Soup
Try those 90 gr. Accubonds. They are a great bullet for deer!

Well I found a really pretty No.1S in 218 Bee and will be picking it up next week!
Even better, my loving wife bought it for me!
Will have to get out lynx hunting with it once I get a scope mounted on it.
It comes with dies, and I found a guy with a bunch of ammo for sale, which I will also be picking up next week.
Just need to round up some 40 gr bullets after that and find a load the this rifle will like.
Will see if I can get DrMike to post a pic for me...

I used to hunt with one, mine was a 1970's vintage 7x57. Sold it not to long ago. Perhaps i could find another in better condition.

zI33Qrr.jpg

rrxBMMB.jpg

One thing I like about the Ruger #1 in 7x57 is it is perfectly happy being fed reloads using 7-08 data. Make the cartridge into a nuther whole new animal. Oh, and those loads also work quite well in a Winchester M70 Featherweight. The 150 gr. Nosler Partition at 2880 FPS should do a number on any game I use it on from Antelope to elk.
I've retired the .416 Rigby and just about retired the ,404 Jeffery and I'm concerned about breaking a collar bone or other damage. At 84, I seriously doubt now that I'll ever get to Africa so they'll be safe queens for now until I decide what to do with them. Although I reload, a box of 20 for the Rigby locally is a bit over $500 a box. only one shop even carries it. I have 12 boxes of factory that I bought way back when I bought the rifle and even then it was $215 a box. Ouch either way.
I'll keep the .375 H&H as I have a very good cast bullet load for it. Recoil is about like a stiff 30-06 load with 220 gr. bullet. Bullet is the #37-250-FN RCBS which casts a 270 gr. bullet.
Paul B.

One thing I like about the Ruger #1 in 7x57 is it is perfectly happy being fed reloads using 7-08 data. Make the cartridge into a nuther whole new animal. Oh, and those loads also work quite well in a Winchester M70 Featherweight. The 150 gr. Nosler Partition at 2880 FPS should do a number on any game I use it on from Antelope to elk.
I've retired the .416 Rigby and just about retired the ,404 Jeffery and I'm concerned about breaking a collar bone or other damage. At 84, I seriously doubt now that I'll ever get to Africa so they'll be safe queens for now until I decide what to do with them. Although I reload, a box of 20 for the Rigby locally is a bit over $500 a box. only one shop even carries it. I have 12 boxes of factory that I bought way back when I bought the rifle and even then it was $215 a box. Ouch either way.
I'll keep the .375 H&H as I have a very good cast bullet load for it. Recoil is about like a stiff 30-06 load with 220 gr. bullet. Bullet is the #37-250-FN RCBS which casts a 270 gr. bullet.
Paul B.
Which rifle is your 416?

Back