S&W Model 19, an old favorite returns!

Loss and potential loss are what this thread reminds me of...just the other day I realized the small screw securing the rear sight on my 27 was very loose. I wonder how long it would have taken to just fall out. And based on this next experience which is all too typical for me, I'm surprised it didn't.

Years ago a college pal won a brand new Model 19 in a raffle. Not long after we planned a javelins hunt out near Marfa, Texas, and my friend offered to let me use his brand new, unfired 19. To make a long story short, it fell out of my holster and we never found it. I gave him a very nice Blackhawk in .41 Mag about twelve years later and he was shickled titless.

Love the M19!

I bought my first centerfire handgun, a brand new 4" Model-19 in 1971, and put something like 50-200 rounds a month through it for about a year and a half. The load was the cast 170gr Lyman 358429 semi-wadcutter cast from wheel-weights and 12gr of 2400. Never saw any leading, and it was accurate. After about 5 years... I sold it in a moment of weakness. It still looked like new.

The 4" S&W M-19 pictured here was purchased from a vendor at a local gun show a few years ago. It was a low mileage piece with nearly 100% of the bluing intact, and it was a great deal. Haven't shot it that much, but I like owning another M19.

SWM19.jpg

Back