Safety Concern

My '02 and that's all its worth. If you like the rifle, buy a trigger. Too many stories- true or not w/ details I cant attest to- over and about Remington triggers. It aint worth it to me. CL

If it was me I would get an aftermarket trigger. Like everyone else says, ANYTHING would be better than that one that’s in there now. I just bought a brand new remington sps .243 win chambering and before I even had the rifle in hand I ordered a Huber concepts trigger. Trigger got to me before the rifle and I put the new trigger in before I cleaned the rifle. You tube has videos on how to do it yourself. It’s supper easy.

Actually I would prefer a older Walker trigger to many of the aftermarket triggers. They can be tuned really low and made super crisp if you know what your doing. Trigger Tech triggers are smooth but have zero over travel which is proven to not be good for the best accuracy. I have 3 of the Special triggers and none of them will go down as low as they advertise they will. With the adjustment screw all the way out they are all about 1lb 4oz instead of their advertised 1lb. I hunt with Jewell's at 12oz to 1lb and prefer them to a Trigger Tech trigger.

I have 5 Rem 700s. When I was in the USAF at Vandenberg AFB, one of the fellow Vandenberg Rod & Gun members was a gun smith, so I had him adjust the triggers. They are all set at about 2 3/4 lbs. 2 of my RUMs didn't want to adjust (set screws got messed up) so he suggested new triggers. 1 got a Timney, the other a Rifle Basics. I have adjusted a few triggers, it seems the OP's seer engagement is set to light or like mentioned previously, they are dirty. There is very fine line on adjusting the seer to have a nice clean break and being unsafe. The triggers I've adjusted, I always test them after adjusting to see if they will inadvertently fire by:

1) repeatedly switch the safety from "safe" to "fire" to see if it will "click"
2) with the safety in "fire", using my hand, I hit the side of the stock a few times in various locations to see if will "click"
3) with the safety in "fire", I'll bang the butt stock on the floor several times to see if it will "click"

If at any time the rifle "clicks" in any of the above tests, the seer gets readjusted and I repeat the test until it doesn't.

Back