Sako 85 Hunter

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Kind of thinking out loud here, the Sako 85 Hunter comes in a left hand version of the calibers listed the 9.3x62 is pretty interesting it would kick less than my 375 Ruger and do pretty much the same job. I get recoil head aches sometimes from the 375 that is part of the reason I'm thinking of replacing it even though it is a great gun, since this gun gets carried more than shot I could keep it, 6-8 shots at a time don`t seem to bother me much. The 9.3x62 could be loaded with a 286 gr Partition and the flatter shooting 35 Whelen could be loaded with a 200 or 225 gr AccuBond.
The other interesting cartridge they chamber is the 7x64, I would however want to get it rechambered to 280 Remington instead as long as the chamber could be cleaned up. Someone will likely mention the 280 AI, I guess that could be an option too but I prefer the 280 Rem. The 85 Hunter is in reach if I sell a couple of guns the $2000 or so could be raised.

So what would you do:
9.3x62 close range bear and moose round
or
280 or 280 AI longer range deer, elk round.

http://www.sako.fi/images/sako85/hunter_lh.jpg

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85HunterLH.pdf

Gerry,

The 9.3X62 is a great cartridge that will do it all here in BC. I wouldn't mind having one available to use; and I certainly would not feel undergunned, even for grizzly. Of course, I do love the .280; it is one cartridge I would most hate to be without. Honestly, if I had a Sako in 7X64, I might never consider rechambering it since it is the ballistic twin of the .280. Consequently, since you enjoy handloading, the 9.3X66 might be intriguing. It is a mild-mannered cartridge that will give you a slight edge over the 9.3X62.

That 9.3x62 sounds pretty cool Gerry. I have looked at them a little. Pretty versatile with the 286 PT's around 2400-2500.. There isn't much it couldn't handle and I think Mr. Shoemaker seems to like it for this big bears as well..

gerry that 280AI in a hunter would be a great rifle.
I personally like a 24" barrel but I know that they do not make a whole of difference.
Best of luck in which ever one you choose.

Blessings,
Dan

There's no way I would rechamber a 7x64! It is such a cool, obscure (at least in the US) round!

I love it What a classic. Almost bought a #1 in it!

I am with the other guys, the 7x64 is such a good round that has never been appreciated in this country. It deserves to be left as is. It is pretty close to the .280 anyway.

I have never really had a thing for the 7x64 but really wanted a 280 one day, I guess they do the exact same thing in the field, will need to think about it a bit more. The 7x64 or a 270 would be also a great choice for my wife for when she gets her hunting licence hmmm.......

You aren't kidding. The 270 or 280/7x64 would probably be about perfect for your wife.

SJB358":14uyfwv6 said:
You aren't kidding. The 270 or 280/7x64 would probably be about perfect for your wife.

They can be reduced a bit with a 130 gr Speer to get 260 Remington ballistics and recoil for a good practice and deer load, then loaded up with a full power load for bigger animals. Been thinking a lot about what kind of caliber to get her.

Gerry

I am kind of partial to the 280 AI but a 7x64 would be pretty cool.

JD338

I would go with the 9.3 X 62, I would much rather run into an angry bear with that, than a 280 or clone. The 9.3 could also be used as an elk and deer rifle, especially if one was carefull with shot placement on deer. I really don't like the idea of walking around in big bear country with a light rifle of any kind. I hear that you can not be overgunned when it comes to Grizzlies. !

Elkman":26ical9t said:
I would go with the 9.3 X 62, I would much rather run into an angry bear with that, than a 280 or clone. The 9.3 could also be used as an elk and deer rifle, especially if one was carefull with shot placement on deer. I really don't like the idea of walking around in big bear country with a light rifle of any kind. I hear that you can not be overgunned when it comes to Grizzlies. !

That`s one reason my new 35 Whelen is my goat gun, we have had a few interesting grizzly encounters the last few years.

gerry":18cotoe6 said:
SJB358":18cotoe6 said:

They can be reduced a bit with a 130 gr Speer to get 260 Remington ballistics and recoil for a good practice and deer load, then loaded up with a full power load for bigger animals. Been thinking a lot about what kind of caliber to get her.

Same here Gerry. I mulled over them quite alot and figured, for her, anything in the 25-06/270/280 would be about right. The 25-06 may be a touch on the light side for elk, but she wouldn't be stretching the limits of the gun for any animal and with a 115 or 120 PT, I have alot of confidence that it'll perform just fine as well. I really snagged the first Model 70 that looked nice and I knew we could make it work.

Recoil was a big one as well, I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting her into something that would knock her hat off and she enjoyed shooting and wasn't ever scared of. Cause, really, it all comes down to good shot placement and good bullets. Nosler has my back on the bullets, we just have to practice to get the shot placement down pat.

I'm not so certain the .280 would clean up the 7x64 chamber, whereas the 280AI would. But the difference between the .280 and 7x64 isn't enough to notice in the field. If your not inclined to go the AI, I have to agree with other's, to also leave it as is.
The 9.3x62 is a good one, and spec'd a tad on mild side. Bumped up a bit, makes it all the better. Then again, you already have the Whelen, so unless your wife needs a bear gun as well, the 7x64 gets the nod here. But also, if she can handle the recoil, the 9.3 will do all within it's range. The 250 gr. AB might lessen the recoil somwhat, and if all I had in the chamber is the 250gr. AB,,,I certainly think it would stop and put down a Griz, even though I would prefer the 286PT for such work.
You could always get both Gerry :twisted: :p

ou could always get both Gerry

Excellent point, Dave. Gerry, listen to the voice of reason delivered by someone who knows. :roll: I do believe with that wise bon mot Dave reveals himself as a certified member of Enablers United. :mrgreen:

Back