Salmon with Apricot/Jalapeno Glaze

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Tried a new recipe while my wife was away. Glaze consists of 2 sliced jalapenos (seed in, bright red) and 3 or 4 cloves of garlic (minced) carmelized in a little olive oil. Before the garlic brows, deglaze with red wine vinegar. Add about 3 tablespoons of grainy mustard and a cup of apricot preserves. Bring the mix to a simmer and reduce the mix (about twenty minutes at a simmer).

Top each piece of salmon with a sprig of rosemary and apply the apricot glaze. Cook the salmon at 350 degree until it is medium rare. Garnish with lemon zest.

This went especially well with a southwest salad that I made.

This was a great dish and I couldn't wait to make it for my wife when she returned from Kansas. Since we live in the far north, there are not always jalapenos available. On the day of her return, since I was picking her up in Grande Prairie, I stopped in one of the larger grocery stores to look for jalapenos. Apparently, I didn't find what I wanted as the first bite, my wife drank about a half glass of milk. After she recovered her voice, she smoothly said, "A little hot, isn't it?" Did you know that habanerno peppers are the same colour as a red jalapeno?

I had some pink salmon that I laid on aluminum foil on the grill last evening with this recipe. I had a medium heat, and cooked the salmon until it was perfect. It was a great hit with a nice rice pilaf that my daughter made. It wasn't too hot this time, and the flavour was just as it was supposed to be. Even the grandchildren went for seconds. I made certain that I used jalapenos instead of haberneros.

That sounds pretty good Mike. I will have to keep this recipe in mind the next time I have some salmon! Scotty

Scotty,

It is a great meal. Just be careful not to overcook the salmon. I'm certain it would work quite well with trout and/or steelhead.

Back