Salt bath annealing??

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I’ve been doing some reading and found this method interesting. Have any of you tried this method to anneal brass? If so, have you found any improvement in accuracy and case life?
I’ve tried a couple of times with a torch but this method looks like it would be easier to control.
The brass I’ve had the most trouble with over the years is 264 Magnum as after a few loadings I’ve had issues with the necks cracking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the ballistic advantage setup. It’s very easy to use and appears to do a good job. Sadly I have been too busy to really get out and do a side by side comparison.

viewtopic.php?t=39124

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":4h0p2zu5 said:
I have the ballistic advantage setup. It’s very easy to use and appears to do a good job. Sadly I have been too busy to really get out and do a side by side comparison.

viewtopic.php?t=39124

How many loadings do you do before annealing?
Looks like something I would like to try.

I’ve been annealing after forming. Sadly I just haven’t had any time to do the shooting if like to. 80+ hours in a truck a week keeps me off the range.

I have the B.A. system, too. So far I haven't had any issues. And I think its a great way to anneal. Just have to develop a rhythm to insure consistency between cases. So far they come out very uniformly annealed. I downloaded a metronome app for the iphone to help keep the immersion times the same. I am thinking about building a PID controller rather than rely on the Lee pot's internal thermostat.

I am just getting a good start on salt bath annealing too (B.A. system). Don’t have enough data to see if there is any improvement in ES etc. I haven’t been impressed with the Lee pot’s thermostat. Had to return the first pot to Lee because of a faulty thermostat. (Lee’s customer service was excellent.) So far the second pot’s thermostat is working but the temperature variation is larger than I expected. This is my first attempt / experience at annealing so maybe this is all a part of the “learning curve”. Overall, it is a simple process and I like it. But...I don’t have enough experience or data to give it a definite thumbs up or down. Sorry.

Back