Same rifle different loads

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Anybody use the same rifle during deer season and after taking a deer change loads and resight in for another load then use it? I have just because I wanted to try couple different bullets in the same season. Something different. Dan.

Although I used to do that, I now have 1 load per rifle. It keeps things simple, especially when you start dialing for distance.

JD338

I like to tinker with loads for my rifles. I’ll get a bullet try it out and move on to the next. Each of my rifles has a designated bullet for hunting with others for plinking. An example for my 416 Wby
IMG_2747.jpeg

Anybody use the same rifle during deer season and after taking a deer change loads and resight in for another load then use it? I have just because I wanted to try couple different bullets in the same season. Something different. Dan.
You are basically describing how I missed a broadside buck at close range five (5, yes, four plus one) times with a 44 mag revolver. Because I changed loads and didn't actually re-sight.

Not saying you will make my admittedly boneheaded mistake, but... I suggest if you want to do this, you work up the loads pre-season, determine your dope for each load, then shoot to confirm when switching. That way, all you need to do is dial your scope, shoot a group, and move out smartly.

I guess, in truth, that I might be the last person to be giving advice on the subject, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

When it comes to hunting, I'm pretty much one load for the duration of hunt as reducing variables is important to me.
That's not to say that I only have one hunting load for a particular rifle, as different game often requires different bullet construction and weight.

You are basically describing how I missed a broadside buck at close range five (5, yes, four plus one) times with a 44 mag revolver. Because I changed loads and didn't actually re-sight.

Not saying you will make my admittedly boneheaded mistake, but... I suggest if you want to do this, you work up the loads pre-season, determine your dope for each load, then shoot to confirm when switching. That way, all you need to do is dial your scope, shoot a group, and move out smartly.

I guess, in truth, that I might be the last person to be giving advice on the subject, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.
I guess I didn't make it clear that switching to a different load after taking a deer. I used a proven load for said rifle. I resighted it for that load after using the first load. Didn't mean to muddy the water. Dan.

I guess I didn't make it clear that switching to a different load after taking a deer. I used a proven load for said rifle. I resighted it for that load after using the first load. Didn't mean to muddy the water. Dan.
No worries. Any confusion on my part, is well... confusion on my part. :D

Usually I settle on one load for a rifke and stick with it. For instance, 165 gr. Speer Hot Core for the .308 Win., 180 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter or Nosler Partition for the 30-06, 150 ge. Sierra Game King or Nosler Partition for the .270 Win. and 200 gr. Speer hot Core or Nosler Partition for the .300 Win. Mag. The ones that show two bullets per cartridge have had loads worked up that put either bullet to the same POI for a given distance.
Fr example, the .270 will put eeither bullet into a .75" group on average. Cent of group for each is separated by .75". If I mix and match three shots with each load for a six shot group, the final group for the combined loads is right at 1.5" and either is usable past 300+ yards.
Paul B.

Whenever I get a new gun, I might try several different loads and combos to see what it likes. But typically, I have some sort of application in mind before I buy anything and try to focus on a load that best realizes whatever advantage that cartridge or rifle has for the desired application. I used to do the switch with a few guns but anymore whether it is a "set and forget" or a dial turret setup, I pick a load and stick with it. Stocking up on components etc. is so much easier when you only have a single bullet and powder to keep in supply for each gun.

Whenever I get a new gun, I might try several different loads and combos to see what it likes. But typically, I have some sort of application in mind before I buy anything and try to focus on a load that best realizes whatever advantage that cartridge or rifle has for the desired application. I used to do the switch with a few guns but anymore whether it is a "set and forget" or a dial turret setup, I pick a load and stick with it. Stocking up on components etc. is so much easier when you only have a single bullet and powder to keep in supply for each gun.
Simplicity I understand and I'm getting that way somewhat in my later years, but I still like trying different bullets in same calibers for the experience and knowledge. Dan.

My 06, I’ve had the rifle for 55 years, shoots a 150 gr ballistic tip into. 3/4 MOA. It is zero 1 1/2 high at 100. It shoots a 180 gr Partition into 3/4 moa at 2875. It groups 1 inch below the 150s. During the lean years I hunted deer with the 150s. Added 4 clicks and hunted elk with the 180s. Just confirmed the zeros last week. Now I do most of my hunting with the #1s in various calibers. But if I ever get real hungry again the 06 will come out.

I have not done that.
I have my rifles sighted in with one specific load in mind.
My 30-06 shoots 150 Accubonds, but I bought a 30-06 with being able to hunt larger prey tha whitetails in mind if the opportunity presented itself.
My.308 also shoots the 150s, but I’ve been working up a load for 130 ttsx as NYistan is constantly threatening to go no lead on public lands.
The resolution has not passed this year so I’m in no rush with working up that load for the time being.
This hunting season 150 Nosler Accubonds it is!

Back