Savage 110 Project .35 Whelen

Now that is a picture to behold.

The 1:14 should be good for some fairly heavy pills. Do you have any idea what you want to run through it?

Very good looking rifle. My brother has a 80’s era 110 in 30-06 that I can get pretty cheap, thinking I could send to Jess to bore to 35 Whelen, or just get a barrel and swap out.
Barrel swap is fairly easy and straightforward. Not too time consuming, thankfully.
The barrel I bought cost a little less than a JES rebore.
It’s well worth it to switch to .35 Whelen, I think!

Now that is a picture to behold.

The 1:14 should be good for some fairly heavy pills. Do you have any idea what you want to run through it?
I’m thinking 200 grs up to 275, or maybe something in the 280’s.
I read somewhere that Remington’s Cor-Lokt 200 gr bullets were made for the ballistic twin 350 Rem Mag, so I might start there.

Nice looking rifle, I opted for the 35 Whelen's bigger brother the Ackely Improved.
I used it to kill a white tail doe with a 225gr PT and almost split her in two with a Texas heart shot since she turned away from me and was getting ready to head for safer territory.

I’m thinking 200 grs up to 275, or maybe something in the 280’s.
I read somewhere that Remington’s Cor-Lokt 200 gr bullets were made for the ballistic twin 350 Rem Mag, so I might start there.
I shoot a lot of 200s in mine (and 180s) and you can get some very impressive velocities from them. If there is a downside, it's that the BC for the 200s is very low compared to a 200 grain in a .338 bore. Excellent for short to intermediate ranges, though.

Bottom line is that I think you will very much enjoy shooting them and the rifle and they will both serve you well.

I shoot a lot of 200s in mine (and 180s) and you can get some very impressive velocities from them. If there is a downside, it's that the BC for the 200s is very low compared to a 200 grain in a .338 bore. Excellent for short to intermediate ranges, though.

Bottom line is that I think you will very much enjoy shooting them and the rifle and they will both serve you well.
I think the BC ratings for .35 Caliber bullets is under rated. Granted I'm pushing them faster in my 35 Whelen Ackely Improved then you can in a standard 35 Whelen I could easily hit the 400yd gong at the outfitter's range while hunting in Montana using Scotty's suggested 2" high 100yd zero for the east coast.
Don't underestimate the .35 caliber bullets with their low BC compared to other calibers.

Nice looking rifle, I opted for the 35 Whelen's bigger brother the Ackely Improved.
I used it to kill a white tail doe with a 225gr PT and almost split her in two with a Texas heart shot since she turned away from me and was getting ready to head for safer territory.
Thank you!
I know this is argumentative, and I truly don’t mean to be, but when a normal .35 Whelen is loaded to the same pressures as an AI, there isn’t a lot of difference.
I know a guy on the African Hunting site, using CFE223, and pushing 225 gr bullets out over 2900 fps. He said that’s right around 60k - 62k psi!
No matter which way you slice it, the 35 Whelen is an extremely potent cartridge.

Hawk

Thank you!
I know this is argumentative, and I truly don’t mean to be, but when a normal .35 Whelen is loaded to the same pressures as an AI, there isn’t a lot of difference.
I know a guy on the African Hunting site, using CFE223, and pushing 225 gr bullets out over 2900 fps. He said that’s right around 60k - 62k psi!
No matter which way you slice it, the 35 Whelen is an extremely potent cartridge.

Hawk
Hawk I found CFE223 to be the ticket in my 35 AI. And yes, 2900fps with a 225-gr bullet is easy to do.
Though I can safely go to 64k psi in my AI I don't since 62k psi will do all I need to do.
There's nothing wrong with the standard version I just wanted something different.

Hawk I found CFE223 to be the ticket in my 35 AI. And yes, 2900fps with a 225-gr bullet is easy to do.
Though I can safely go to 64k psi in my AI I don't since 62k psi will do all I need to do.
There's nothing wrong with the standard version I just wanted something different.
Yup! It’s always cool to do your own thing!!
No argument from me there!!
Happy shooting!

Hawk

I think the BC ratings for .35 Caliber bullets is under rated. Granted I'm pushing them faster in my 35 Whelen Ackely Improved then you can in a standard 35 Whelen I could easily hit the 400yd gong at the outfitter's range while hunting in Montana using Scotty's suggested 2" high 100yd zero for the east coast.
Don't underestimate the .35 caliber bullets with their low BC compared to other calibers.
Surprisingly, to me, the 35 bullets have excellent BC’s! Yup, if needed, one can stretch the 35 Whelen legs quite a bit. The difference in BC and SD really don’t come into play until it starts getting to 600 yds. That’s well within the ranges I hunt.
From what I’ve seen, the 35 Whelen has no problems penetrating either. Usually through and through.
Sometimes SD numbers are just that.

Hawk

Yowzers! 2900 is screaming fast for a 225; most I have seen is about 2750, but I have never used CFE.

And please don't get me wrong about BCs, I was specifically comparing the 200gr .358 bullets to .338. I know the Sierra 225gr GameKing is something like a .370 BC and the 225gr Nosler AB is a rather impressive .430 BC. And, of course, it only gets better with the 250s.

In any case, I know from experience that that Whelen will do anything you ask of it.

Yowzers! 2900 is screaming fast for a 225; most I have seen is about 2750, but I have never used CFE.

And please don't get me wrong about BCs, I was specifically comparing the 200gr .358 bullets to .338. I know the Sierra 225gr GameKing is something like a .370 BC and the 225gr Nosler AB is a rather impressive .430 BC. And, of course, it only gets better with the 250s.

In any case, I know from experience that that Whelen will do anything you ask of it.
Hawk you just answered your own question on BC, the lighter the projectile the lower the BC and as you go up in weight the BC increases excluding round nose bullets which were never meant to be ballistically efficient.
My loads have been tweaked for the brass I use, and the AI case is more efficient burning powder.
Over the course of my time reloading, I have found that some bullet weights and designs defy the BC ratings in different calibers and can be very accurate.
Quick load was tweaked to achieve optimum performance using CFE223 in my brass so my loads cannot be used in other rifles, what CFE223 will do in other rifles I don't know and won't speculate on and could be dangerous if I shared info with you.

I did a lot of shooting to 600 yards with the 225 AB and 250 Partition. If you can do it with a 308, you can do it with the Whelen.

lately I’ve been stuck on 200 TTSXs at 2900 and can’t see that bullet giving up anything to a lead cored 225-250 in performance.

But the 250 PT has been good to me as well.

Back