Savage / .240 Bee?

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
Ok, this one is a little bad.......I have an old Savage 30-06 in my gun safe and that's pretty much all I know about it. Someone had given it to my Dad years and years ago, I'd have to say it's a mid to early 60's rifle.
My question is, how good are the actions in the Savages? I've always wanted a .240 Weatherby and since this gun has done nothign but take up space.......??

Sounds like a great swap to me. The caseheads are .473 & .472, so virtually identical. The only issue you might get is feeding difficulty requiring a little working of the magazine feed lips, but even that is not a real issue for someone willing to take the time. If you don't know anything about it, let a smith do it for you. It's worth the long term lack of headache about feeding.

I would imagine you could do the swap pretty cost effectively, and even end up with a nice rifle, in an aftermarket stock, which works great.

Why don't you use the -06, out of curiousity?

dubyam,

The Nosler Manual shows both cases to be .473 ??

Don't take me wrong here, I know the -06 is an awesome round, and has probably taken more animals than about anything out there.....just one of those round I've never wanted.
I also do a lot of yote hunting in the N.W. Corner of CO. I'm thinking the .240 would be an awesome reach out and touch Mr. Yote caliber with light recoil. ??

I was looking at the Accurate Powders website when I quoted case head diameter. I was not at home, and I have yet to become so anal that I carry my load manuals with me on business trips, although I sure do comb the web staring at data!

As for the varmint aspect, I suspect the 240 would certainly do it, with the usual caveat about barrel life being shorter than other, less intense cartridges in the same caliber. (That wouldn't stop me, just thought I'd put it there for discussion.) The 240 would also be a great gun for long range deer and antelope hunting, I imagine, as my .243 is perfect for thin skinned game. You would, of course, be obligated to use a premium bullet for deer out of this hot rod cartridge, but I suspect you handload (if you're considering a 240'bee in the first place) and premium bullets would just be part of the deal.

I understand about the -06. I just wondered initially if there was an issue other than lack of use. If there were anything sentimental about the gun, I would hesitate, but it sounds like your situation is perfect for a barrel swap. Keep me posted on how it turns out.

I had spoke with my g-smith last week about this. I have never pay attention or even wanted to know about Savage. ( Family bleeds Remington green ) After speaking with the smith, it's an amazing piece that savage built ( the 110 model ) The barrel lock nut, action etc. Still thinking this may be the best beat around gun I could have.
Yes I do handload, and like the options on bullet selection in .24 Cal.
I'm still waiting for the g-smith to finish a .260 I have with him, so it may be a while for this swap.
Thanks again

Back