SAVAGE 99

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I was in my work room and found a small spring on the floor. I had my 99 apart fixing the cracked stock took the bolt out to clean and reasembled everything but the stock since it need extenceive work. Days later I found a small spring about 1/2" long and not 3/16" in diamater on the floor could this have fallen out of the action when I had it apart? I didn't completely strip the action just took the bolt out to clean and lube.
Oh Yea I figured out how to get into my reloading and work shop today with out falling down the steps with my walker. :grin:

If you removed the small staked screw on the left rear of the bolt and took out the hammer and hammer spring, the spring you are wondering about is probably the hammer rebound (retract) spring. Push on the end of the hammer at the rear of the bolt to see if it has back and forth spring tension. The rebound spring fits into a small recess on the back of the hammer and will not fall out if you just take out the bolt assembly as a unit.

I don't remember taking the hammer out but there was a screw on the left side that kept the link for the lever in place that had to be removed to get the bolt out. When I take the stock off to finish it up I will check the hammer and see if the spring is missing.
Thanks for your help.

duckcreekdick":32j85kuj said:
If you removed the small staked screw on the left rear of the bolt and took out the hammer and hammer spring, the spring you are wondering about is probably the hammer rebound (retract) spring. Push on the end of the hammer at the rear of the bolt to see if it has back and forth spring tension. The rebound spring fits into a small recess on the back of the hammer and will not fall out if you just take out the bolt assembly as a unit.
That's what it is almost. The Savage 99 dosen't have a hammer persay, the firing pin has a flange that engages the trigger linkage which cocks the firing pin when the trigger is pulled it release the firing pin. The spring I found is the rebound spring which holds the firing pin off the next round in the chamber.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I never saw this spring fall out and would not have known what it was or where it went with out your help and I appreciate you answering my post and saving a great rifle from possible damage. :grin: That spring layed on the floor for several weeks before I saw it.

Yeah, the "hammer" nomenclature is unlike that on a typical hammer firearm, but that's what they call it in the Numrich catalog and in the J.B. Woods book, so that's what I called it. The firing pin is a separate piece pinned to the front of the "hammer", powered by the hammer spring or mainspring. The little retract spring is easily lost. Glad I could help. Gotta love those 99's!

I'm rescueing this one and trying to save the stock. It was cracked down both side panels and I had to remove wood and accurglass both panels and put a wood pin in it to renforce it. It made it very strong and I'm waiting till my ankle heals so I can shoot it. :grin:

Back