Scammers??

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
So just now a couple of 20-something males caught us in the yard and claimed to be taking an ATF survey, I let them proceed with their Spiel and they handed me a survey form on a clipboard. It asked for my name/address and what and how many firearms we possess, quantity of ammo, how I used the guns and how I store them.….I think the cargo shorts and gold sunglasses were the first giveaway. The survey paper looked legit, but I doubt it was ATF, my guess is they’re collecting data for some ani-gun group., or other nefarious activities. I’ve never made a grown man cry without laying hands on them, until today.

Sounds like some sneaky people trying to rob you of information they are not entitled to.

Did he actually start crying for some reason?
When I got done “explaining” he had no right to show up asking about any of this, and could he not read the sign that says “no trespassing, and he could see himself promptly off my property, his eyes actually welled up, I think he was swallowing his anger.

As I was reading this I thought of exactly the incident Jim posted above.

Scammers, can leave as you pointed them too. Actually ATF? Come back with a legal warrant if you have probable cause to obtain 1. (They wouldn't in your case.) Until then, leave same as a scammer. Don't leave? Fine, next call is to a lawyer.

Unless any of us violate the law and a legal warrant ensues, we're protected by the Fourth Amendment, so any abridgement of that right without probable or just cause puts the illegality squarely on the shoulders of those violating that written and documented right.

In case they need reminded. I know their leader doesn't have any comprehension or reading skills left, but surely they do.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I think my first concern would be potential for theft. I mean, why try to guess where the good stuff is, when you can just ask? I learned a long time ago that people will tell you all sorts of things if you phrase a question correctly. Beyond that, yeah, probably just some nosy group with an agenda.

Back