Scope Choice

ColColt

Handloader
Apr 27, 2014
Choosing a scope for my soon to arrive Winchester M70 7x57 has become a difficult situation. I'm looking at the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 to keep a traditional look rather than a longer scope but I'm not sure about the 36mm objective. I've never had one that small and don't know if it would be a problem. Any comments would be welcome.

I've had several scopes with objectives smaller than 40 mm, and still have two of the VX3 2.5-8X36 Leupold scopes. I've never noticed a significant loss of resolution and/or clarity. Neither is there a great loss of light transmission. That scope will work quite well for you. Currently, on my Featherweight 7 mm Mauser, I have a Kahles 3-9X40 scope, but I could have been just as happy with one of the VX3 2.5-8X36 Leupolds.

Many years ago when I bought my first scope it was a Weaver 3-9x and best I recall it had a small objective but I'll never remember what size that was since it was well over 40 years ago.

that's good news about that scope as I'm leaning heavy in that direction. I don't need the Zeiss 6.5-20X for this one. That one's good to go on my Sako .222 and looks at home. It would not look at home on a M70 7x57.

The 2.5x8 is a nice scope. Very bright and very useful as well. I also like the older Zeiss 3x9's. Pretty nice set ups either way.

There's some fine scopes in that link. Zeiss and Leupold are probably my favorites. The Duralyt 2-8x42 looks most comparable to the VX-3 2.5-8x36. Either should work great.

Too many choices! Maybe I'll just get another Lyman 4X Perma Center scope! It works great on my pre-64 Model 70 270. :)

The M8 is currently residing on a Savage Predator Hunter Max-1 243. It has some previous ring marks but it shoots great.

Oh, it's a 16X.

I will probably go with a 3.5-18 Z5 for my Lazermark so no I will let this pass but it looks like a nice optik for the 7X57 :mrgreen: only other optik I need is a slug gun optik!

I think I'll opt for the 2.5-8x. I do like the old Lyman Perma Center scopes but, this is too nice a rifle for that one. I think I'll still get another one to just have on hand.

I like the VX3 2.5-8x. Enough that I have one on my Kimber .325WSM (with an M1 elevation knob), another waiting to go on my 700 Classic Whelen, and a spare VX III (that was going to go on my .358 Hawkeye, but got bumped by a Zeiss Onquest of the same power range).

I think you're going to really like that 2.5-8x Leupold. The great Finn Aagaard touted it as perhaps the best all-around hunting scope he'd ever used. That man did some hunting...

One graced a Remington of mine several years ago. I should have kept the scope when I sold the rifle...

Guy

Back