Scope Choice

I have several Leupold's and they're great scopes. I've come to the conclusion you don't need a 4-16 or 6.5-20X scope as much as I use to. I had a Weaver T36 at one point mounted on my Sako .222 and had a very difficult time with it. Thin cross hairs, the power itself, I'm not sure but I ended up selling it. Those cross hairs bounced all over the target and the eye relief was most crucial. I like it's replacement much better, a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X. That, to me, is a proper scope for varmint/target shooting and the eye relief a lot better.

I received a little present today-the scope, rings and mounts got here and it's a fine looker at that. Needless to say I'm chompin' at the bits for the rifle to arrive. I'm hoping my choice of low two piece DD rings will work out.

Those rings will work just fine for you. I'm certain you are going to have a good looking rifle.

I think they will, too, DrMike. I located some very old Nosler 140 gr Partition bullets I bought maybe mid 70's I'm going to try in that 7x57. They look nothing like the current batch and are the original McCoys...found some for the 270 as well.

I've got a partial box of those 150 gr. 7mm PT's around somewhere. I used to load them in my wifes Ruger 7X57 ahead of a healthy dose of IMR4350 if memory serves me. They were a very a good bullet in that caliber. Too bad she quit hunting and sold the gun.

Cocolt, once you have that Leuy mounted, I believe that a range report with photos could be coming :mrgreen:?

Blessings,
Dan

Rest assured I'll break out my Nikon D200 and do my best to enthrall everyone with that beauty. I've discovered one thing recently and it goes without question. When you pick out a safe, and everyone's heard the advice, get one twice as big as you think you need. I didn't heed that advice and things are going to start getting a bit crowded.

Yep, pretty old. The top and bottom boxes on the right were bought in the early 70's. Old style on the left and new on right in the photo...both Partition bullets.

ColColt":2f530qgo said:
Yep, pretty old. The top and bottom boxes on the right were bought in the early 70's. Old style on the left and new on right in the photo...both Partition bullets.

Bill is just busting your chops since he is probably still loading killing elk with PTs his father and him bought in the 60's. :lol:

When I was rummaging through some old stuff I had pigeon holed, I ran across those boxes of 270 150 gr and 7mm 140 gr Partition bullets not even opened yet. It was sort of like finding a Philco tube radio still in the box hid under the stairwell.

The newer, larger caliber Partitions now have the crimping band back on them. At least my .338, 210 gr and .366, 296 gr bullets have the groove. Also, newer Partitions at .338 cal and above do not have a chamfered base and are sharp shouldered.

I have some .308's (seconds) with the crimping groove, the were $14 a couple of years ago !!!!

Bill is just busting your chops since he is probably still loading killing elk with PTs his father and him bought in the 60's.

I do have a box or so, but I am not loading them, I am saving them for when I make my donation to the Smithsonian, I will include my Herters, dies, press's, bullets, and some 40 year old powder also!!! I am hoping for a new wing, just for my stuff.

Back